• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fairly certain Reg was talking about Super Capped players (not Panasonic Knights expedition game or trial match lol) - if you are talking contracted players you would name almost the entire West team

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Judging by some social media comments it sounds like the Brothers Reggies did the same for GPS after the Major Semi and wanted the result overturned. Too worried about what everyone else was doing and then went out in straight sets..?

Brothers 2nd grade will be having a lot of mirror time these next few weeks. Should have got the job done in front of the home crowed in the first week.

One thing for certain, the 1st grade coaches at Brothers read the crystal ball, there was quite a bit of confusion when Taylor Adams wasn't brought back into the fold. The bloke had a Reds trial FFS. Ended up completely falling out of form during the finals and last couple of weeks of competition.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good effort by Easts Reserve grade to lose 5 players from the week before and not only beat Brothers but they belted them.
They haven’t beaten GPS this season so will go in as the underdogs despite their handy recent form.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So 2024 QPR head coaching roles - there’s some vacancies and I believe there’s been some announcements.

Norths - Dan Ritchie announced?
easts - Mowen to Canberra
Brothers - Gabbett to retirement.

Would it be silly to think that GPS might have a coaching change? They underperformed and coaches previously have been handed their marching orders on better results.

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can we get a summary from the Bond journo?
Journos tend to be objective, and I do not at all pretend to be such. The 2023 Bond Universty Bullsharks - and minor premiers - were beaten fair and square by a supremely talented and experienced Brothers outfit more attuned and adequately reinforced to undertake a well-deserved run to the Grand Final. It was a tough day at the office for the Bond outfit and definitely not what they wanted to deliver to their faithful on Saturday. However, it was not that long ago that Brothers were in a similar position against UQ - and if history tells us anything, it is that falling short of your goals are the best way to shore up resolve and work hard to achieve future success. There is unfinished business here, and if it means taking two or three more years to get the prize, then so be it. All the best to Wests and Brothers who are both absolutely deserving of their berths at Ballymore.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would it be silly to think that GPS might have a coaching change? They underperformed and coaches previously have been handed their marching orders on better results.
I think GPS culturally have benefited this year though and the club as a whole.

2nds and 3rds in grand finals and 1sts only missed the boat by a small margin.

In saying that, Shane only ever seems to stick around for a couple of years so I wouldn't be surprised if he did move on.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Journos tend to be objective, and I do not at all pretend to be such. The 2023 Bond Universty Bullsharks - and minor premiers - were beaten fair and square by a supremely talented and experienced Brothers outfit more attuned and adequately reinforced to undertake a well-deserved run to the Grand Final. It was a tough day at the office for the Bond outfit and definitely not what they wanted to deliver to their faithful on Saturday. However, it was not that long ago that Brothers were in a similar position against UQ - and if history tells us anything, it is that falling short of your goals are the best way to shore up resolve and work hard to achieve future success. There is unfinished business here, and if it means taking two or three more years to get the prize, then so be it. All the best to Wests and Brothers who are both absolutely deserving of their berths at Ballymore.
Bond and their supporters should be proud of their record this season, they were tough opposition. Hopefully they can build on that and use it to develop more players for future seasons and grow the game on the Coast and probably tap into Northern NSW also.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Played 16
Won 15
F&A 291
Comp Point 72
Won minor premiership by 11 points
Lose Major to GPS and Prelim to Easts

Choke? Maybe!!

The same comparison can be said about Bond - but you say Bond had a great season and Brothers 2nd Grade had a dramatic fall from grace lol.
Played 16
Won 14
F&A 145
Comp Point 69
Won minor premiership by 9 points
Lose Major to West and Prelim to Brothers

Choke? Maybe!! - very confusing, turn around mate you are running backwards lol

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Early favourites for Alec Evan’s Medal on Wednesday?
My 3 picks are Tyler Campbell (Bond), Lachlan Connors (Bond) or Kohan Herbert (Souths)

What’s the background of Kohan Herbert? Seems to have featured in a lot of ‘best player’ chat this year. I’ve seen him play and is very impressive. First year in Aus and is a kiwi?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Herbert played QLD 2 in 2017 when they lost the final of the national schoolboys championship to ACT.

Just have a look at some of the QPR, super rugby and national talent in those QLD schoolboy teams.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
He was named in the NPC for the BOP Steamers and didn't really fire - to be fair they also had a German super star coming through at the same time who is currently playing Super Rugby for the Blues. Kohan also played alongside Josh Vuta who also turned down an Aus School boys jumper for an opportunity in NZ with the Chiefs, so I was not surprised to see him suit up for the Magpies this season with Kohan.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
He was named in the NPC for the BOP Steamers and didn't really fire - to be fair they also had a German super star coming through at the same time who is currently playing Super Rugby for the Blues. Kohan also played alongside Josh Vuta who also turned down an Aus School boys jumper for an opportunity in NZ with the Chiefs, so I was not surprised to see him suit up for the Magpies this season with Kohan.
Fairly sure Garrick coached Kohan at Downloads too

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
A lot of now-familiar names played in that tournament.
QLD_II_2017.gif