• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Finally, before I go back to the pool for the public holiday....

Anyone know whether or not the Player Points Cap is coming in for 2024?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
From the moment Pup returned to Brisbane Gabbett's days were numbered. Was telling how subdued Gabbett's celebrations were on Grand Final day. I watched him closely. Quite subdued all things considered. Perhaps it was still sinking in.
Wasn't he properly ill in the lead up to the game, like potentially unable to be there level of illness? I thought they mentioned something about that on the broadcast.

Boom Crash

Stan Wickham (3)
From the moment Pup returned to Brisbane Gabbett's days were numbered. Was telling how subdued Gabbett's celebrations were on Grand Final day. I watched him closely. Quite subdued all things considered. Perhaps it was still sinking in.
Gabbett was crook as a dog on GF day. He had Gastro and spent most of the day indisposed.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've noticed a few clubs have done their Colts Info Nights and a few more are about to. Any feedback? Who's going where?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Quade just posted that his brother Moses Jones has signed with the Yakult Levins in Japanese League One for next season.

Didn’t think Moses was overly a standout. Do the Yakults (lol) have lower division teams? I tried to decipher the Insta post but can’t read Japanese.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Quade just posted that his brother Moses Jones has signed with the Yakult Levins in Japanese League One for next season.

Didn’t think Moses was overly a standout. Do the Yakults (lol) have lower division teams? I tried to decipher the Insta post but can’t read Japanese.
It's something that wasn't too unusual about it... 10 years ago? where a junior relative would get brought along as part of a development group. Monty Ioane got his start that way: got an Academy contract with Stade Francais while uncle Digby was playing with the seniors.

Thought that it started to get dropped off though when the French went hard on the JIFF situation.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh siblings getting a look in isn’t anything new. But to my knowledge that isn’t Quade’s Japanese club and Moses will be 23 by the time he plays a game for them. Not old but also not exactly a development deal age.

Anyway good luck to him, will be interesting if he plays for GPS at all in 2024.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I have heard GPS have confirmed Sio Kites 1st Grade assistants. Tim Atkinson (Former Brumbies and Reds player and Aus 7's captain) as well as promoting the 2023 Reggie's Grand Finalist coaches Kelevi Tuicolo and John Gabbett.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Hearing word on the street two of Bond’s Premier coaching staff have moved up the M1 to St Lucia. One is publicised with Andrew Fraser appointed as UQ Rugby manager but also hearing another Bond assistant coach also relocating there. Bond could potentially have a completely new coaching group in 2024

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
From UQ's Facebook. They also confirmed Andrew Fraser is their new Head of Rugby.

1697533763912.png

SUPER EXCITED to announce our 2024 Red Heavies 1st Grade coaching team.
(Left to Right) Luke Oxford, Elton Berrange (Head Coach), Damon Virtue and David Miles.

Elton Berrange
Elton firmly believes that players, coaches & all members of the support team respect & appreciate being held accountable to agreed standards of effort & behaviour. He is a Rugby Australia Level 4 coach passionate about the development of his players on & off the field.

David Miles
David offers 15 years of experience and success in coaching across pathway programs and at the representative level. He is motivated through working with passionate rugby people and seeing improvement in players and teams. He is looking forward to the opportunity of coaching in a quality program at the Red Heavies!

Luke Oxford
Accredited Level 4 coach with 24 years of experience, he has had the privilege of nurturing talent from grassroots to elite levels. Luke is driven by a passion for development and a history of success at all stages. 2024, will be his fourth year at the club as an assistant coach for the Premier Grade and actively contributing to the Premier Squad.

Damon Virtue
Accredited Level 4 Coach with extensive experience across both 15 & 7's programs and have worked in both the male and female High Performance level. His strength as a coach is his ability to connect to the playing group, build confidence in players to play an attacking brand of rugby that fits their profile. Damon is excited to be given an opportunity to work at a club with such a rich history.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bond were certainly the kings of counter-attack over the last season or two. We will see how that goes under a new coaching regime. 2024 for Bond will be an interesting exercise in players or coaches having the greater impact on the style of play. A change in coaching might unlock the premiership door for them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Heenan would have assessed the risks with getting onboard with an under-pressure coach before taking the role.

I am sure he will find himself in a good situation going forward. Hopefully his ongoing coaching journey can only end up benefitting QLD/Australian rugby in the long run and he comes back into the fold with even more experience.