• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The calculus is probably different if you're a Prems player that can be swayed with exposure, pay, or playing time that might lead to a pro contract.

A smart Prems player or fringe Prems player would definitely factor things like club depth into their equation.

If the club you’re going to has no grades depth, all it takes is a couple of injuries and suddenly you’ve got a 3rd/4th grade standard player getting a consistent starting gig in 1sts. That drop in standard, maybe across multiple positions can be pretty harmful to any side.

Norths 2nd grade team is probably the most belted in the history of the competition for that reason.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
Giving up Sunnybank from QPR would really expose that whole area as a league stronghold. I'm not sure QRU would necessarily want that, even if current results haven't been great.
Agreed. This is the issue with throwing money at players. I agree that all club help players financially but those that bring in the "transient" or "transactional" players really suffer down the track. It happens in a lot of sports. Look at struggling NRL teams that pay overs for ordinary players and end up getting very little out of them and they disappear. Teams like Sunnybank pay guys that are barely up to a Premier Grade standard often out of a panicked sense that they will go somewhere else. When you are clear and confident in your culture, you don't have those concerns. I really do hope that Sunnybank and Norths find their way back.

I think the best way to do it is try to develop players and assist with money to help keep them. Create a culture strong enough to aid in this. Brothers have built this over the past number of years and are seeing the benefits of it. Look at how involved guys like Harry Wilson, Ryan Smith and even the Tongan Thor. They really buy into the club.
Sunnybank doing some pretty good things with their older juniors at the moment. Have a really good crop of 15-18 yr olds coming through and are investing plenty of time in to them with things like their Mick Ramsay Academy. From the outside looking in, they appear to be taking the long road of building from the bottom up which is what they need to do if the club is to rise again.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the nail in the coffin for Sunnybank was when the clubs most elite team, Mens Premier team got beaten by 100 points against UQ couple years ago.

Not a good look for the club. Pretty embarrassing actually.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the nail in the coffin for Sunnybank was when the clubs most elite team, Mens Premier team got beaten by 100 points against UQ couple years ago.

Not a good look for the club. Pretty embarrassing actually.

Meh, people get over that.

The Reds got beaten by the Bulls 92-3 in 2007, actually beat the Bulls 40-8 in 2008 and then went on a solid run of seasons before winning Super Rugby in 2011.

Big losses suck, but I don't think they destroy a club.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is it time to get real about the Norths' and Sunnybank's performance issues over the last number of years? Should serious consideration be given to moving them into the Barber Cup (1st grade) , Normanby Cup (2nd grade) and Wyatt (3rd grade) in 2024 ?? Both clubs struggle to field 4th grade at any time but perhaps could have two teams in Wyatt. Colts is a different beast. Not sure what the solution is there; perhaps staying in QPR? IMO I think being competitive will help keep blokes playing and the road trips to teams like Caboolture etc would help build friendships, culture etc.
Yeah you’re right. In a code that’s already struggling let’s have a 7 team premier comp only…..
I’m actually hearing good things coming out of both Norths and Sunnybank as mentioned above. Both clubs heavily investing in colts with newly formed Academies and getting their shit together with genuine club people and quality coaches in charge of 1st Grade and Colts.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sunnybank doing some pretty good things with their older juniors at the moment. Have a really good crop of 15-18 yr olds coming through and are investing plenty of time in to them with things like their Mick Ramsay Academy. From the outside looking in, they appear to be taking the long road of building from the bottom up which is what they need to do if the club is to rise again.
Yeh but they are probably falling into the trap of what I believe is at the heart of the failings of Qld (& probably Aust’n) Rugby - they fail in love with schoolboy success which is mostly driven off the back of young Polynesian talent which peaks early and has a decisive size advantage at that age.

Last edited:

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The higher end suburban teams are much better than people give them credit for being. That Brisbane Irish 1st grade team from this past season was scary and could probably steal a win against a strong QPR 2nd grade team on a good day and would compare well against any QPR 3rd grade team.

But putting Norths or Sunnybank 2nd grade into the Normanby Cup or 3rd grade into the Wyatt Cup would be bad for competitive balance. They would be playing teams that struggle for numbers or even the occasional QPR 6th grade team composed of old guys, people new to rugby, and some 5th grade guys getting a warm up game on Friday night before the 5th grade game Saturday morning.
Subbies footy is miles below reserve grade - you are kidding if you think they are beating a top second grade side.
Wynnum would comfortably beat Irish - they moved to sunny coast comp to get better competition and a decent level comp. There is nothing for them in the local area and from all reports it’s made them a better club with strong and competitive colts team and now a developing women’s program.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wynnum have been playing a 1sts and 2nds team in subbies over the last few years and wasn’t there daylight between the ability the teams?

With their 1sts team being bolstered by a group of mates who happened to be ex-Reds and Aussie 7s.

My point being I didn’t think Wynnum had a lot of depth at the club so I’m surprised they were looking for stronger competition.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wynnum have been playing a 1sts and 2nds team in subbies over the last few years and wasn’t there daylight between the ability the teams?

With their 1sts team being bolstered by a group of mates who happened to be ex-Reds and Aussie 7s.

My point being I didn’t think Wynnum had a lot of depth at the club so I’m surprised they were looking for stronger competition.
You are thinking of Redlands.
Wynnum won Subbies in 2018 and the QSRU comp was a shambles. They had a crossover comp with sunny coast at the start of that season and then moved their full time with Caboolture in 2019.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Subbies footy is miles below reserve grade - you are kidding if you think they are beating a top second grade side.
Wynnum would comfortably beat Irish - they moved to sunny coast comp to get better competition and a decent level comp. There is nothing for them in the local area and from all reports it’s made them a better club with strong and competitive colts team and now a developing women’s program.
You're making my original point for me by dismissing them out of hand because they're a suburban team. That Irish team this past year was routinely beating their competition by anywhere from 30 to 70 points and had a talented core group.

My point wasn't that the average subbies team could compete in reserve grade, I completely agree with you that it would not be a contest. It was that sometimes the stars align and you get very strong teams that are more than capable of taking it to higher grades sides. It's not the norm but it can happen.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
Most Sunny Coast A Grade players would be in 3rds. There are a handful which could compete at 1st & 2nd which are those who play QLD Country Heelers and eventually make the move.

I’m guessing not many of the Brisbane Irish players represented the QLD Suburban team who recently competed at the Australian Rugby Shield? Because they got torched.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The higher end suburban teams are much better than people give them credit for being. That Brisbane Irish 1st grade team from this past season was scary and could probably steal a win against a strong QPR 2nd grade team on a good day and would compare well against any QPR 3rd grade team.

See your quote above. If Irish were scary and would beat a top second grade team then Wynnum and the other top 4 teams in Sunny Coast would dominate premier grade.

Irish is a good strong Subbies club - but that’s it. Unless they want to put their “balls” on the line and join the sunny coast comp (which is their only next logical step for a better comp and profession) then they will remain a big fish in a small pond… much like Wynnum and Caboolture were 4 years aho.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Most Sunny Coast A Grade players would be in 3rds. There are a handful which could compete at 1st & 2nd which are those who play QLD Country Heelers and eventually make the move.

I’m guessing not many of the Brisbane Irish players represented the QLD Suburban team who recently competed at the Australian Rugby Shield? Because they got torched.

It was full of Irish players annd coaching staff and they got torched. Qld country was no where near the top team. Many of the South QLd (won the country champs) teams best players weren’t available.

I know this is a premier grade forum but given lack of sunny coast or qld country forums I apologise for semi hijacking.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
See your quote above. If Irish were scary and would beat a top second grade team then Wynnum and the other top 4 teams in Sunny Coast would dominate premier grade.

Irish is a good strong Subbies club - but that’s it. Unless they want to put their “balls” on the line and join the sunny coast comp (which is their only next logical step for a better comp and profession) then they will remain a big fish in a small pond… much like Wynnum and Caboolture were 4 years aho.
My exact quote was "could probably steal a win on a good day". You're inferring a degree of absoluteness that I never said. We are closer to agreeing than we are to disagreeing.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was full of Irish players annd coaching staff and they got torched. Qld country was no where near the top team. Many of the South QLd (won the country champs) teams best players weren’t available.

I know this is a premier grade forum but given lack of sunny coast or qld country forums I apologise for semi hijacking.
Sunny Coast was once in QPR. Maybe they are back in 2024

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
I doubt it. That wasn’t a sunny coast rep team, it was a private club.
It shouldn’t be a Sunny Coast rep team.

“In future, teams from other Rugby regions may also join the competition, thus encouraging the pursuit of Rugby excellence across the state, not just confining it to one corner”. Queensland Premier Rugby Website

Obviously nobody is joining in 2024. However, the current model will changed eventually.