• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Saw on a UQ Instagram story that Jethro Felemi (formally GPS) is training with them

Interesting.

I feel like GPS have been quite conservative in their 1st grade coaching staff, which tells me they're willing to back established pathways and personnel to do a job. Although their Colts 1 coaching team seems to be quite progressive (although not necessarily established coaches).

Will be interesting how many players leave GPS with Arnold departing.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
No big loss IMO. GPS has always had high calibre depth in their front row stocks

I rate the big long blond haired prop they had down their last year - Jon Downes? I assume he’s on the younger side with his best days ahead of him.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Schedule is out… the much anticipated bond vs UQ game is last week of round 1 and last week of regular season in round 2

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Another sad, sad day in the history of my beloved Souths Rugby Club with the passing, early this morning, of the legendary Peter "Doubles" Daley.
A true icon of Brisbane, Queensland and Australian Rugby. All those who knew and loved Doubles can take comfort that he fought his illness to the end and he can now rest in peace.
Deepest condolences to his daughter, Danielle Daley and all his family. Peter's "Rugby family" will always be there to support you.
I will miss my mate. I am so glad, I got the opportunity to say goodbye last week when Doubles could hear and appreciate how much our friendship meant over the past 50 years.
RIP "Dubs" my friend.
For anyone who has had a connection with Club rugby in Brisbane over the past 50 years, I am sure they have met or at least heard of Peter "Doubles" Daley.
An icon, a legend, the ultimate stalwart. There has never been another equivalent of Doubles Daley and I believe that there never will be.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Another sad, sad day in the history of my beloved Souths Rugby Club with the passing, early this morning, of the legendary Peter "Doubles" Daley.
A true icon of Brisbane, Queensland and Australian Rugby. All those who knew and loved Doubles can take comfort that he fought his illness to the end and he can now rest in peace.
Deepest condolences to his daughter, Danielle Daley and all his family. Peter's "Rugby family" will always be there to support you.
I will miss my mate. I am so glad, I got the opportunity to say goodbye last week when Doubles could hear and appreciate how much our friendship meant over the past 50 years.
RIP "Dubs" my friend.
For anyone who has had a connection with Club rugby in Brisbane over the past 50 years, I am sure they have met or at least heard of Peter "Doubles" Daley.
An icon, a legend, the ultimate stalwart. There has never been another equivalent of Doubles Daley and I believe that there never will be.
so sorry to hear a lauries and souths legend

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Doubles - the best one eyed Rugby supporter ever whether it be St Laurence’s, Souths, QLD or the Wallabies.
RIP my Rugby mate - what a courageous last part of your life you just kept fronting up for more Chemo - I don’t know of anyone who has had more rounds of Chemo than Doubles.

Last edited:

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
RIP "Dubs" my friend.
He was one in a million. A champion of the sport and for the sport. Proof that a legend of the game needn't have been a great player or coach.
He gave so much. God speed Doubles

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Can anyone share Mick Heenan’s team of the decade?
  1. Feao Fotuaika (Sunnybank)
  2. James Hanson (UQ)
  3. Fred Burke (GPS)
  4. Tim Buchanan (UQ)
  5. Seru Uru (Easts - Wests)
  6. Michael Richards (GPS)
  7. Josh Fuimaono (Bond)
  8. Jack Cornelsen (UQ)
  9. Scott Gales (UQ)
  10. Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
  11. Kye Oates (UQ)
  12. Pat James (Brothers)
  13. Tasi Tasi (Souths/Bond/GPS)
  14. Junior Laloifi (Sunnybank)
  15. Jock Campbell (UQ)
Honourable mentions
Taniela Tupou, Rhys Van Nek, Jack de Guingand, Pat Morrey, James Dalgleish and Harry Parker

(I haven't included the blurbs for each player)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That a good team don’t mean to be nit picky though about some of the selections

Tim Buchanan at start of decade and Seru Uru on the back end of decade… they must of really put in a good year or 2 to catch Heenan eye to get in the mixer of a team of the decade list

Who are the other good locks (omissions) from last decade?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Also I hope the QPR/Souths is able to reward doubles with a trophy or award of some sort… a great servant of the game…

is there any teams Souths play that don’t yet have a trophy up for grabs?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That a good team don’t mean to be nit picky though about some of the selections

Tim Buchanan at start of decade and Seru Uru on the back end of decade… they must of really put in a good year or 2 to catch Heenan eye to get in the mixer of a team of the decade list

Who are the other good locks (omissions) from last decade?

Is Matt Brandon eligible? He was virtually the best QPR flyhalf for a number of years, very consistent.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ok well a worthy dream team then…

I’m with you Phil Clinton… Matt Brandon makes my qpr team of the decade.

I can’t remember if Brandon ever played NRC, he might have been a couple of years before it’s time. From memory his best shot at pro rugby in Australia was with the Force during their earlyish years.

Very similar to Dallan Murphy (who is a similar vintage I believe) in that they were both amazing club players but stalled a bit at Super level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah Brandon played Qld Country.

Also think he had a stint with the Force. Perhaps as injury cover.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brandon retired in 2015 after the Easts GF lost to Souths but played for Qld Country NRC in 2014 & 2015. In fact he may have been one of those guys that played for QC (Quade Cooper) & also BC.