• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Brandon retired in 2015 after the Easts GF lost to Souths but played for Qld Country NRC in 2014 & 2015. In fact he may have been one of those guys that played for QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) & also BC.

Retired lol…

Think I saw him playing 3rd grade recently - may even won a title for the tigers. (Don’t think it was this year but probably last year)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone seen any 2024 QPR betting markets yet?

I imagine 2 factors have been addressed that would allow preliminary markets to open

all coaching vacancies announced
schedule has been released

(betting agencies now in a position to make educated guess about rep players returning to 3rd tier during bye weeks / after super rugby etc )

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
How do we think the crackdown on tackle height will affect the game and potentially favour some side over others?

IMO with lower tackles we'll see a lot more offloads keeping the ball alive, conducive to expansive rugby. I'm expecting Bond to be the major beneficiaries with the "bash the door down" style of play Wests and GPS have brought over the recent years needing the most adaptation.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Heaps of Red cards for forwards - they’ll need to learn their lesson about aiming for the sternum

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Will be an unfortunate time to be the last man defending a 2 on 1 on the edge. Tackling at chest height and wrapping the ball is nice for preventing the offload for an easy try.

I feel bad for the officials, will be a nightmare to officiate.

Reactions: Ras

tig

Frank Row (1)
Another big loss for club rugby - Brian Kassulke, long time president of Easts, former player for Uni Q, first grade captain of Wests when they came into first grade, Queensland player - died this morning.

qpr_analyst

Frank Row (1)
Heaps of Red cards for forwards - they’ll need to learn their lesson about aiming for the sternum
Cards should be reduced significantly - Cards are for head contact, not high tackles (maybe a case for repeated team infringements). With current laws you have to get it wrong by 2cm, that's going to be more like 30cm under the new regime which should make things a lot easier.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hearing of a few gains at UQ for 2024 with Jethro Felemi (GPS), Niven Longopoa (GPS) and Lachlan Connors (Bond) all appearing at pre-season for the Red Heavies.

Have also heard that Tyler Campbell and Rhian Stowers are making the trip down the M1 to link up at Sunnybank. Unsure of the truth behind that one

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hearing of a few gains at UQ for 2024 with Jethro Felemi (GPS), Niven Longopoa (GPS) and Lachlan Connors (Bond) all appearing at pre-season for the Red Heavies.

Have also heard that Tyler Campbell and Rhian Stowers are making the trip down the M1 to link up at Sunnybank. Unsure of the truth behind that one
I heard JP and Asiata from East are heading to the Bank as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IMG_4648.jpeg

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
I note Norths have got some Academy up and running and Andrew Clyne from Eastwood is the Head Coach. They've just announced this morning that David Campese is on the Coaching staff. Could it be Norths are finally getting their act together?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I note Norths have got some Academy up and running and Andrew Clyne from Eastwood is the Head Coach. They've just announced this morning that David Campese is on the Coaching staff. Could it be Norths are finally getting their act together?

Campo (and John Muggelton) are just guest coaches.