• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
tragic news over night with the passing of two former QLD Reds and club stalwarts in David "Mario" Logan (Brothers) and Stephen Tait (Souths).

Both drowned when a boat they were on capsized off Manly coast overnight.

Logan played wing for QLD back in the mid 70s (never lost a match when he started) and was still actively involved down at the Brethren playing a key role in their huge touch program.

Tait played for QLD in the late 80s / early 90s which was a bit of a glamour period for QLD and indeed his club side Souths. He emerged roughly at the same time as Peter Slattery but still played over a dozen games for his state, and featured in some brilliant Souths sides. He has been a teacher at Ioane College of late.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
tragic news over night with the passing of two former QLD Reds and club stalwarts in David "Mario" Logan (Brothers) and Stephen Tait (Souths).

Both drowned when a boat they were on capsized off Manly coast overnight.

Logan played wing for QLD back in the mid 70s (never lost a match when he started) and was still actively involved down at the Brethren playing a key role in their huge touch program.

Tait played for QLD in the late 80s / early 90s which was a bit of a glamour period for QLD and indeed his club side Souths. He emerged roughly at the same time as Peter Slattery but still played over a dozen games for his state, and featured in some brilliant Souths sides. He has been a teacher at Ioane College of late.
Gutting, two great blokes whose contribution to their communities over the years goes well beyond the Rugby field.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The rain we’ve had last couple days going to have the fields looking mint come round 1.

Any clubs out there doing offseason upgrades? (2023 = GPS new clubhouse, Easts new grandstand)

How long until the brothers project commences?

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
The rain we’ve had last couple days going to have the fields looking mint come round 1.

Any clubs out there doing offseason upgrades? (2023 = GPS new clubhouse, Easts new grandstand)

How long until the brothers project commences?
Apparently Brothers have knocked back any new development that was to be linked to the Olympics as they want their own infrastructure.

I was driving past the other day and saw they're redoing the bottom and top fields with about 4 trucks of sand delivered.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Apparently Brothers have knocked back any new development that was to be linked to the Olympics as they want their own infrastructure.

I was driving past the other day and saw they're redoing the bottom and top fields with about 4 trucks of sand delivered.

Let’s see how they go, I’m sure the groundsmen love the $$ but that field has never sustained quality due to lack of light, poor soil and terrible drainage.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Phil I saw your comment in the reds thread where you speculating a talent drain this season?

I reckon first part of year quality of football might be less but the back end is going to be super charged imo… I would expect we will see all the Australia a players who were held out last year for a World Cup get more of a run. Also I’m going to guess there’ll be a influx of Drua players again (last year some of them had their own World Cup to prepare for)

Year 1 in the 4 year RWC cycle is always the biggest catalyst of change as players look to put national representive behind them and chase dollars abroad.

the biggest wildcard for me is the rebels and their tax bill implications… I suspect they’ll still be playing qpr but who knows.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep - anyone at Wests know what's happening with the Rebels players? You'd think if RA are wanting them to tighten the belt, one of the first things to go could be the return flights from Melbourne to Brisbane.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
......... Also I’m going to guess there’ll be a influx of Drua players again (last year some of them had their own World Cup to prepare for)

Year 1 in the 4 year RWC cycle is always the biggest catalyst of change as players look to put national representive behind them and chase dollars abroad.

the biggest wildcard for me is the rebels and their tax bill implications… I suspect they’ll still be playing qpr but who knows.

Not sure about the Drua this year. Part of World Rugby funding has the Fiji boys playing more games for their national side.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Yep - anyone at Wests know what's happening with the Rebels players? You'd think if RA are wanting them to tighten the belt, one of the first things to go could be the return flights from Melbourne to Brisbane.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wests are chipping in for some of the flights and accommodation

Reactions: Ras

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
You think GPS & Bond are doing that for their rebels mercanaries they bringing up on weekends as well?
For those who might know more, how involved is Bond University in the finances of Bond rugby?

I'm not from the area but was under the impression that the university has deep pockets from those private tuition fees and a willingness to spend. I know a Bond med degree runs around $400k these days.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Bond & UQ have scholarships for emerging talent.
But I believe the UQ scholarship isn’t UQ specific - it maybe offered to players at other clubs? Unsure exactly of requirements but I do remember reading press releases previously.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Bond & UQ have scholarships for emerging talent.
But I believe the UQ scholarship isn’t UQ specific - it maybe offered to players at other clubs? Unsure exactly of requirements but I do remember reading press releases previously.

my apologies.. it might not be scholarship but rather a Bond/UQ player academy (which probably has access to scholarship) but someone involved at the clubs might be able to clarify

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Shoutout to the reserve grade players paying $500 odd a year to pay for rebels players flights and keep them in reserve grade haha.
Does the the Player Points system come into affect with QPR this year?? If it does, it will be interesting to see how it impacts the Rebels/Drua and Co hired hands.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
my apologies.. it might not be scholarship but rather a Bond/UQ player academy (which probably has access to scholarship) but someone involved at the clubs might be able to clarify
Thanks for looking into it. I've heard UQ has elite athlete scholarships that also give you additional flexibility with course planning and exam schedules.

Was interested in the relationship between Bond University & Bond Rugby from the angle of those flights and player payments not being a big burden if the parent university is lending a financial hand.

I assume a private university has less restrictions and red tape for arranging something like that compared to a public university like UQ but could easily be mistaken.