• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sounds like poor coaching to me, or players who just don't want to listen.

Some of the best players in our game and other codes are also suffering the effects of CTE because too many "great tackles" that slipped up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I had a mate in the lower grades tell me that the referee didnt even bother with the rule cos it was first game in.

A sympathetic referee can make a world of difference. It is a trial for everyone, not just the players. Referees have to adjust as well.

If there were more than a couple of high tackles called in the higher grades, that is on the players to adjust, or the referee to manage if it is getting ridiculous.

We're not paying to watch blokes turn themselves into vegetables by age 50. If the previous high tackle framework wasn't getting the results desired, then something has to change.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think there will be a period of frustration/adjustment before we get to the increase in running rugby. And I believe that is what the overseas studies showed.

I can’t comment on what you saw and how the refs rules on the games you were at but I’d have thought most of Lima & Collin’s tackles would still be legal under the new frame work as, to my memory, they mostly got in under the ribs.

The threat of legal action and the safety of players are both material threats to the game which I feel they have to deal with (and should when you consider the impact it is having on some peoples health). I just don’t think we can get away from that.

Also I think the refs need an opportunity to adjust as well.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Only saw about 4 penalties at Brothers lower grade game Vs Uni. Players and the ref appeared to do a pretty good job. It will take some time ad we all get use to the lower tackle height. Mind you there were some big hits.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Also on Stan.
1710292831897.png

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Souths rugby having a players function at the Normanby this weekend - the Uber's home will cost more than the playing fees!

Back to the southside please.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Souths rugby having a players function at the Normanby this weekend - the Uber's home will cost more than the playing fees!

Back to the southside please.
The Normanby Hotel must be particularly easy to work with on events or big groups. Been to an oddly high amount of big group functions there compared to other places.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Normanby Hotel must be particularly easy to work with on events or big groups. Been to an oddly high amount of big group functions there compared to other places.

Yeh I am just throwing a bit of banter around to liven the place up - although it is a long way for them to go compared to more local pubs.

The Normanby itself is pretty nice after the renovations, if a bit lifeless. They seem to always be 80% empty so you're right, easy to find a spot for a large group.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
although it is a long way for them to go compared to more local pubs.

Mate, we have some fans having a sook (me included) having to drive down the m1 for prelims at Bond.

I’m sure the souths playing group wouldn’t mind trekking to the Normanby considering it’s an inner city fringe venue.

only so many schooners you can consume at Chardons corner before it’s Punch ons with all the regulars there.

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeh I am just throwing a bit of banter around to liven the place up - although it is a long way for them to go compared to more local pubs.

The Normanby itself is pretty nice after the renovations, if a bit lifeless. They seem to always be 80% empty so you're right, easy to find a spot for a large group.
A long way? It's like 10 minutes drive to chipsy wood.