• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v ACT Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is a bloody hard game to tip. The Reds just have this habit of dolling up absolute tripe the week after a big win, while the Brumbies always seem to bounce back after a loss.

Will take the Reds, only because I love the way their backline is running at the moment.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
MMM out injured rolled his ankle at training, shame he was on the verge of 10 straight games which is some sought of personal record.

I prefered MMM at lock anyway & don't feel we'll lose a lot with Higginbotham who will be keen for a big game as will Houston who gets a bench spot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As long as Higgers makes his tackles. We'll need him making his presence felt at the ruck too. Not hanging wide.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
2 things are making me very nervous!

The first is people are tipping us! this is bad very bad. how are we 'sposed to perform when people expect us to win. this is way too much pressure for any one to and I worried that the delicate flower that is a Qld Rugby player will wilt under the harsh light of expectation.

The Second is the fact I went to the bore-athon that was the last Reds-Brumbies clash at Lang Park. with out doubt the second worst game i have ever been to. Only beaten recently by the debacle that was Reds V Lions in round 10. In which I thought of walking out. Afterwards I thought of selling my season pass but knew it was a fruitless venture. I even suggested to Mrs Sully that we should think of not renewing our membership in 2010 and was roundly beaten down for being soft and Not a real Qlder! And only a quick trip to Gambaros to watch the Force and Tahds smash each other and lots of gay imported Mexican beer could console me.

But I am "Leegranting" The red V Brumbies seems to bring out the worst in both teams and if we do a Turtle we are Stuffed!

F

formeropenside

fuck

can the Reds get a real forwards coach please

and can someone snot Smith the cheating bastard into next year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fuckity fuck fuck.

I am as bad at not learning from past mistakes as the Reds are. I thought we could win.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
fuck

can the Reds get a real forwards coach please

and can someone snot Smith the cheating bastard into next year
I am with you on this FOS. I know 7's are supposed to cheat, but this ref had no balls. He warned him repeatedly to let go etc... but did nothing. The one on the Brumbies goal line was particularly heinous - he was told 2-3 times to let go, never did, took the ball out and possibly stopped a try being scored. Ref - FK only. Ridiculous - should have been a penalty at least for cynical play.
We all bang on about McCaw, but Smith was just the same, and with a weak ref it looks just plain bad.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
reds were horrible was per normal. brumbies killed them.
hardman is a dickhead.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
also not going to bother commenting on smith. i thought he had a great game. every player does it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, they do Louie, but the ref bottled it. Good on Smith for getting away with it as a good 7 should, but under the current rule structure the refs need to understand that there isn't some magic number of FKs that must be given before they escalate. And what's the point of instructing the players, or warning them if there is no follow through?
I'm not bagging Smith, but the ref. Smith played well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The sad thing for me in this game about the Reds was the way the Brumbies continually targeted the inside channel.

They knew that the Reds lacked the attitude and/or fitness to continually move across and cover that hole.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
fatprop said:
They knew that the Reds lacked the attitude and/or fitness to continually move across a cover that hole.

Absolutely spot on, very poor attitude by the Reds in defence made it pretty easy for the brumbies. I was pretty disappointed in most of the reds "big" names and thought their best was Genia and then Lucas after Genia was injured. Horwill looks to have lost his mojo.

S

Spook

Horwill needs to regain his mojo. Oz really needs his power and size at lock. He looks to mellow.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really, after Barnes was lost in the warm up everyone knew the Reds were toast. Didn't realise they'd be so bad though until 10 or so minutes in and then it was obvious a hiding was on the cards - again. As said, lack of commitment from the forwards really. Brumbies made ground at will around the edges of the ruck and first channel and the Reds forwards let them. Pathetic.

Van Humphries had a complete shocker. Va'aulu and Fetoai are not up to S14 level and not worth of even being squad players. Taylor is pretty anonymous.

Didn't think Cooper, Hynes, Lucas or McLinden were too bad. Genia my pick of the Reds. Just when your forwards are so comprehensively flogged, not much you can do.

Oh yes. What the hell was Mooney thinking, starting with Fetoai? Sure, a few decent tackles, but lots of coughed up ball and refusal to pass. And Mooney must really not rate Va'aulu, pulling him off for Fainga'a and moving Fetoai to the wing.

Noddy: yes. The Reds had me fooled too they might win. But fortunately, before kick off I knew they were gone when Barnes was out. Just shocked at the capitulation - although around 20 of those points was thanks to the injury toll during the game.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe horwill is just lacking fitness and so is struggling to make an impact.

Ash - I thought Van was worst on ground but was worred I was being biased given I bagged him last week.

Your right, Hynes and McLinden were also ok - the latter has improved alot since his game against the tahs earlier this year. I wonder if someone would be prepared to try Mclinden at 10 or 12, you wouldn't pick him ahead of BNarens or Cooper but I suspect he would be a decent backup for both.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
mark_s said:
Maybe horwill is just lacking fitness and so is struggling to make an impact.

Ash - I thought Van was worst on ground but was worred I was being biased given I bagged him last week.

Your right, Hynes and McLinden were also ok - the latter has improved alot since his game against the tahs earlier this year. I wonder if someone would be prepared to try Mclinden at 10 or 12, you wouldn't pick him ahead of BNarens or Cooper but I suspect he would be a decent backup for both.
Well I gave him a rap last week, and was proven well wrong. He was bad, but well below his normal work I thought. Hynes was industrious but looks slower to me. I think he is not quite where he was last year, and hope he can get back to it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was away for the weekend. Haven't seen this game yet. As a proud Qlder, should I bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.