• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Combined States team has been announced:

Stuart McREIGHT Brisbane Grammar School
Dalton COX Brisbane Grammar School
Andrew GOUGH Downlands College
Sione MAPITOA Earnshaw State College
Ed CRAIG Epping BHS
Alitasi TUITUIOHO Fairhills College
Peter IVIC Hunter SHS
Sani TASI Ipswich Grammar School
Sam CLARKE Marist College, Ashgrove
Blake WALSH Merewether HS
Harry LIND Merewether HS
Simon KENNEWELL Newington College
Ollie KAMP The Scots College
Nic KELLAWAY The Scots College
Tom MOLLOY St Ignatius’ College
Angus FOWLER St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace
George PARTRIDGE St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace
Rory DAVIS The Kings School
Ed GIBSON The Southport School
Nili FIELEA The Southport School
Harry WHYTE Toowoomba Grammar
Isi TEVI Wavell S HS
Adrian DELORE Whitebridge HS

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Congrats to the 11 Queenslanders selected for combined states. Not unheard of for players from this team being selected for Aust schoolboys.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One name there particularly sticks out, Sani Tasi (IGS)

Wouldn't happen to be related to the Ippy bloke who made Aust Schoolboys in 2010? (Not going to try spell his name)

He was quite a destructive, impact player. If my memory is correct he was ear-marked for league but did make some high honours in union as an No.8

Kellaway from Scots sounds familiar too.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
One name there particularly sticks out, Sani Tasi (IGS)

Wouldn't happen to be related to the Ippy bloke who made Aust Schoolboys in 2010? (Not going to try spell his name)

He was quite a destructive, impact player. If my memory is correct he was ear-marked for league but did make some high honours in union as an No.8

Kellaway from Scots sounds familiar too.
Tasi is the younger brother of the other Tasi who made Australia A in 2011. You are also probably thinking of Andrew Kellaway who made Aus schools last year and is now in his final year of school in NSW. Not sure if there is any relation between Nic Kellaway and Andrew Kellaway.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tasi is the younger brother of the other Tasi who made Australia A in 2011. You are also probably thinking of Andrew Kellaway who made Aus schools last year and is now in his final year of school in NSW. Not sure if there is any relation between Nic Kellaway and Andrew Kellaway.

That's right, he played QLD 16's in 2010. For some reason I thought he got a run for Aus 1st team, then again maybe it was Caleb Timu.

Knockers, who would be your smokey's from CSS?

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
That's right, he played QLD 16's in 2010. For some reason I thought he got a run for Aus 1st team, then again maybe it was Caleb Timu.

Knockers, who would be your smokey's from CSS?
Light, from QLD i would have to say my picks for going onto higher honours are Dalton Cox and Nili Fielea.

Fielea is in his third year of 1st XV at TSS and is a powerful runner of the ball. He is always finding space by breaking tackles and fending of defenders. One area in which he does lack is vision. He also played QLD 2 last year, so I'm not too sure why he wasn't picked again this year.

Cox was a part of the BGS 1st XV last year which won the competition. I only saw that team play 4 times but from what i saw of him he is dominant in his defence and gets really involved in the tight stuff. He's not the type of player to break tackles and make big runs but hopefully the selectors will pick up on his work rate around the field.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Just had a good look at the teams. Congratulations to all the young men who were selected and remember that it is the Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union title that you are now fighting for.

Just a couple of random observations / questions looking at the make up of the teams:-
  • Congrats to IGS with 6 selected (some did not rate too many in this team in early season banter on another thread, and it is good to see some have stepped up.) Yes, I know that TSS and NC had more selected, but this was not unexpected.
  • Who is Harry Masters from Sunshine Grammar? He was not on any team lists included in the programme. If he has come in for an injury at the last minute, he is well and truly the selection bolter.
  • I was told that Conrad Quick was injured and I did not see him play in the Chairman XV game that I saw, so the selectors have kept their faith in him from past deeds.
  • Even though the GPS boys are a little under done with a lack of hard competition matches, they have gained 72% of the selections and AIC only 17%.
  • Iona with an AIC premiership just tucked under their belt only managed one selection (Wilkin)
  • The trial team to be selected in to almost guarantee selection is the GPS 1 team. All but one person (out of the 15) was selected for the QLD teams, 13 of these in QLD 1. I thought this was unusual considering they drew against AIC 1 and lost to GPS 2. Or were some of the key players rested?
  • The unlucky person from GPS 1 was Matt Marsden. Was he injured and not considered?
  • Carlin Anderson has made it as flyhalf for the QLD 2 team when originally selected for the bench of the GPS 3 team. Sensational effort.
  • Not sure if it is an age thing, with selections favouring some of the 18 years olds that are in the system (in QLD most Open schoolboys are 17) but only 15 out of the 46 Queensland players who took the field for last year's u16 National tournament were selected.
  • What happened to all the BGS players who played for u16 Qld teams last year and won a GPS premiership, about five or six have missed selection? The only BGS player selected was Pat Morrey.
  • No one north of the Sunshine Coast was selected. Is rugby too centric around the state capital city centres? It may be costing us some amazing talent. Watch the State of Origin team lineup announced before the game on Wednesday night and see how many players come from the country.
  • There were no current u16 players selected.
Dark Shark, some interesting analysis here. A rambling response follows. Yes, GPS 1 tends to provide the bulk of the Q teams. Dare I say it, in years past when the seasons were aligned the GPS sides were even more dominant. Only amazing talent like Heenan and Elphinstone from Ashgrove ( the Wilkin and Fakosilea of their day) were considered automatic selections. Thios said, the GPS results don't support the bulk of selections so I suppose old reputations come into it. Age also comes into it at the selection table. It has to. The NSW teams are all a year older and this extra year counts for a lot at this stage. The greatest chasm in schoolboy rugby is the step from U16 to Open. So many players don't make it once the age restriction comes off and all of a sudden things are "Open". A lot of weights programs start to kick in around this time too and I suppose the aspirational blokes who missed out are spurred to work harder. Coach Ian Jones from Churchie did some amazing work with Combined States teams in years past, coming within a whisker of upsetting NSW1 but for a pathetic refereeing decsion if I recall the press I saw. A number of those CS boys have gone onto Super XV contracts and Aus U20 sides so the boys in CS should not discount their chances! Quick deserves his spot and in the few games I have seen from him, he is a damaging player. Let's hope he stays injury free for this side and for BBC. The simple fact is the scholarship drain draws almost all decent players into the GPS vortex. I saw a Keebra Park boy named in a Q side - not even Tom Waterhouse would give odds on how long before he is at TSS or somewhere else. I've said it before, IGS could be a real smokie - propped up by Open scholarships, their x factor is their woeful lack of depth if and when injuries hit. This is a real concern in a school where rugby is almost dead - some age groups are totally flat out fielding a B team. What is Glen Cronan doing about this at IGS??

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
I think Treleaven was seriously robbed. He had strong defence and attacking game throughout the carnival, and his kicking game throughout the AIC season and the carnival was unreal.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Treleaven was seriously robbed. He had strong defence and attacking game throughout the carnival, and his kicking game throughout the AIC season and the carnival was unreal.

his goal kicking is truly the best from any school boy I have seen.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Combined States team has been announced:

Stuart McREIGHT Brisbane Grammar School
Dalton COX Brisbane Grammar School
Andrew GOUGH Downlands College
Sione MAPITOA Earnshaw State College
Ed CRAIG Epping BHS
Alitasi TUITUIOHO Fairhills College
Peter IVIC Hunter SHS
Sani TASI Ipswich Grammar School
Sam CLARKE Marist College, Ashgrove
Blake WALSH Merewether HS
Harry LIND Merewether HS
Simon KENNEWELL Newington College
Ollie KAMP The Scots College
Nic KELLAWAY The Scots College
Tom MOLLOY St Ignatius’ College
Angus FOWLER St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace
George PARTRIDGE St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace
Rory DAVIS The Kings School
Ed GIBSON The Southport School
Nili FIELEA The Southport School
Harry WHYTE Toowoomba Grammar
Isi TEVI Wavell S HS
Adrian DELORE Whitebridge HS

Just confirmed that George Partridge is the son of a former Australian Schoolboy, Stephen Partridge. He also played a couple of games for QLD in late 80's early 90's at fullback and was a stalwart at Brothers.

From what I saw of George in the GPS and Qld trials was speed to burn. Probably quickest guy I saw on the field.

Steve Pierce

Stan Wickham (3)
what are your thoughts of Brad wilkin who played 1 game in the trials and Lolo Fakaosilea only playing 10 mins in the 1st game then both getting selected in QLD 1? what are your thoughts?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
what are your thoughts of Brad wilkin who played 1 game in the trials and Lolo Fakaosilea only playing 10 mins in the 1st game then both getting selected in QLD 1? what are your thoughts?

I think the QLD teams have already been chosen and both boys made it.

Lolo is a certainty, by far one of the best forwards in QLD last year. His move from BBC was a huge premiership blow for the boys in green and black. As for Wilkin, he was injured at the worst possible time last year just as he was looking likely for QLD I. I think his selection is justifiable, there weren't too many other options.

Those two with McClean form a very strong back-row.

Edit: totally mis-read the point of your post.

One word: Reputation.
Both guys have huge hype, Lolo has proven his potential and no doubt deserves re-selection. As for Brad, he has been in the QLD rep sides including the QLD 15's and 16's, I'm not surprised at all.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wilkin played Australian schoolboys last year, he went on the tour last year as well. Also played Australian junior sevens this year. Sound like you've never heard of him? Didn't trail last year at all because he broke his collar bone in the last round of school footy. Still got selected for the schoolboys tour

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone knows why Paulo LELEISIUAO of Nudgee College wasn't in any of the trial teams or playing for Queensland schools this year? No one in Nudgee can tell me any reason other than he's not in form which its hard to believe.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone knows why Paulo LELEISIUAO of Nudgee College wasn't in any of the trial teams or playing for Queensland schools this year? No one in Nudgee can tell me any reason other than he's not in form which its hard to believe.
That's pretty much the full story not to mention he's never had great fitness. I'm pretty sure a couple of year 11 boys (there names escape me)are ahead of him in the front row pecking order at nudgee.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Light, from QLD i would have to say my picks for going onto higher honours are Dalton Cox and Nili Fielea.

Agreed, Knockers.
I was personally shocked to see both Fielea and Cox miss out on selection for either QLD 1 or 2. I thought Fielea was the dominant inside centre in last year's GPS competition (with the exception of Jack Tuttle). Against BGS he looked like he would tear the defensive line open every single time he touched the ball, and if it wasn't for him the TSS wouldn't have come nearly as close to beating the premiers as they did in Round 7. His demotion from QLD 2 into Combined States is very confusing and I'm keen to see the performance of those selected ahead of him at the championships.

You're spot on about Cox as well. He's the workhorse of the BGS forward pack, consistently making tackles and hitting rucks (always one of the first ones there with extreme effectiveness in every breakdown involvement). Although his running game isn't the focus of his playing style, the ability is certainly there- his breaks in the Queensland schools trials for GPS 2 certainly showed that. He's a remarkable talent with a tremendous work ethic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him outshine those selected in the Queensland squads this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.