• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Teams 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

Excuse me?

What I said wasn’t aimed at you rather a comment about some ‘fans’ in general, but to reply to your comment.. yes analysing player development and supporting the teams and players is what people are in this forum for, that doesn’t mean people don’t overextend their own expectations of players and unfairly critique them when they don’t meet that same fan driven hype, i just prefer the conversation to be a little more pragmatic.

There’s certainly been a decent trend of it at the Reds over the past decade as well where Schoolboys/NRC/QPR/U20s form hasn’t translated to the same level of Super Rugby form and young player on. If Super Rugby championships were won in pre-seasons based on hype of young players, then Queensland would have half a dozen Super Rugby championships now.

Yes guys like Wilson have a lot of potential, but I think people just need to taper their expectations about what he can deliver in Super Rugby at this age, it’s a massive step-up and I think it’s unfair to expect too much of him too soon.

In the Brumbies thread, people have listed Reesjan Pasitoa as a starting Brumbies 5/8 for next year, it’s good to be excited, but then there’s unrealistic.

They are professional rugby players, this is a forum?

I doubt they have a problem with it, so I don’t think you should.

Or a rule could be made, eg “No commenting on a player until he is 23 or has had 25 caps for his state.”

No one in that thread was proposing Reesjan as a starter, people were asking about his style of play, because you know, they are from Canberra?

The courier mail reports heavily on schoolboy football, many of which will never be professional footballers.

I think if you are up in arms about a rugby forum talking about a year 12 rugby player who has signed a pro rugby contract, or a 20 year old who just won club player of the year - then I would suggest you need to recalibrate your outrage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Or a rule could be made, eg “No commenting on a player until he is 23 or has had 25 caps for his state.”

No one in that thread was proposing Reesjan as a starter, people were asking about his style of play, because you know, they are from Canberra?

The courier mail reports heavily on schoolboy football, many of which will never be professional footballers.

I think if you are up in arms about a rugby forum talking about a year 12 rugby player who has signed a pro rugby contract, or a 20 year old who just won club player of the year - then I would suggest you need to recalibrate your outrage.

No outrage here, was just asking for a pragmatic perspective on expectations of young player.
Thats fine if you disagree with the sentiment of my post I don't expect everyone to agree, you can do as you like and I will do as I like, doesn't make you right or me wrong.

Have a good weekend Bobby, enjoy the NRC

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Good turn out at Jeeps yesterday. Not sure how I feel about the game. Some good play by City but lacking a bit of chemistry. Hunter was a standout. Fiji were strong at the breakdown from the beginning. Credit to them.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Dane struggled a fair bit in the scrum (not saying he isn't worthy of a spot), but that will have to be corrected when/if he comes on next game at that time. Agree with Roberts that the play looked a little bit disjointed, and we have a kicking problem as Lucas is not a regular kicker. I really rate Teti, but I would have Isaac Henry on for Teti as to me he showed enough might when he got on, and he has played a whole season with Hunter plus he could take over kicking duties. I would then have Teti come in later on and try and be explosive with some good lines. Side note, Fiji number 8 is one of the best I have seen at the breakdown in a long time. Also where is Hegarty?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does G&GR or anyone else do a Aussie NRC Team of the Week? Would be a great way to highlight potential players etc

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
1 Angus Bell NC
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa BRI
3 Shambeckler Vui SYD
4 Darcy Swain CBR
5 Tom Staniforth NC
6 Ned Hanigan NC
7 Fraser McReight BRI
8 Johnny Dyer FIJ (HM: Stander)
9 Tate McDermott QC (Quade Cooper)
10 Peceli Nacebe FIJ (HM: Saifoloi, Lolesio)
11 Jonah Placid WF
12 Irea Simone CBR
13 Tom Wright CBR
14 Filipo Daugunu QC (Quade Cooper) (HM: Pulu, Naivalu)
15 Jack McGregor WF

Player of the round: Johnny Dyer

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good effort. I didn't see vikings v Rising nor Force v QLD C yet. Was very impressed with Lalakai Foketi from Sydney

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, captain's knock from Foketi, putting 100% in some of those tackles too. Wouldn't be an undeserved pick.

I was half-tempted to give a mention to Heath Tessman, bench player who played a full game - hooker who hooks in the scrum, who did pretty well - although I wasn't forensically watching the hookers in most games.

Didn't want to put three Force players in, though, so looked to find a younger man.

Also the massive unit Fa'amausili at 3 for the Rising might've been their token pick. Was a bit loose in the ball carry though. Valetini also chopped him down on one occasion to allow Miller to pick his pocket, but some of his charges were fearsome.

Too many of the Melbourne guys are raw and they were always going to be put away by a professional outfit like the Vikings.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pete Samu absolutely bossed the breakdown and had a strong all round game against the Rising. Certainly, imo, a better game than Hanigan who was almost penalised out of the game, spent ten minutes in the sin bin and had his usual busy but largely ineffectual game for NSWC.

Otherwise, not having seen the Force or Brisbane games, can't comment on Daugunu or Placid, but both must have had excellent games to outshine Pulu and Hansen. The Vikings centre combination was electric and is very promising for the future.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pete Samu absolutely bossed the breakdown and had a strong all round game against the Rising. Certainly, imo, a better game than Hanigan who was almost penalised out of the game, spent ten minutes in the sin bin and had his usual busy but largely ineffectual game for NSWC.

Samu, maybe. Hanigan's YC got Sydney back in the game, for sure. Ineffectual, tho? No.

I've been quick to say he's not the Wallaby 6, but Hanigian is plenty effective at NRC.

Otherwise, not having seen the Force or Brisbane games, can't comment on Daugunu or Placid, but both must have had excellent games to outshine Pulu and Hansen. The Vikings centre combination was electric and is very promising for the future.

Similar to Hanigan, a YC blotted Daugunu's copybook. But he was still outstanding. Ran through at will.

Placid was merely good by comparison.

Having said that, I liked Pulu as well - and better than Hansen.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I didn’t think much of Placid, if anything I was a bit disappointed, I was expecting a lot from him

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

That's not quite right not all players in the NRC are professional rugby players.

If you aren't contracted to the Reds and get called up from QPR you don't get paid a cent.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I didn’t think much of Placid, if anything I was a bit disappointed, I was expecting a lot from him

Maybe he hasn't developed as one would have hoped for but he was pretty good as an 17/18 year old in the 2013 GF - see highlights package below.? At 1:50 minutes in

I think Sam Greene & Placid won the two colts of the year awards that year and how have their careers gone at the Reds and beyond?

B

Bobby Sands

That's not quite right not all players in the NRC are professional rugby players.

If you aren't contracted to the Reds and get called up from QPR you don't get paid a cent.

So in the context of the actual discussion - financials aside - are we able to comment on them or not?

Or have I mistaken the purpose of a rugby forum?

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)

Thats not quite true..... RUPA has done an amazing job over the last several years ensuring NRC (club land) squad members are paid and looked after.
If you're named in the initial NRC squad (and not a Super Rugby contracted player) you're guaranteed a payment (a bit short of the $2k mark - has increased YOY).
However, if you're called up outside of this initial squad from QPR, then you're only paid if you play a certain number of games - not sure how many (3 or 4?).

I've discussed this info with several players present and past ... its important that fans realise these blokes are given a monetary incentive other than to just "represent an NRC team" - helps to paint a complete picture of whats working and what isn't, with players that turn down opportunities to play NRC etc. My thoughts anyway - a little off tangent..... :confused:

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thats not quite true... RUPA has done an amazing job over the last several years ensuring NRC (club land) squad members are paid and looked after.
If you're named in the initial NRC squad (and not a Super Rugby contracted player) you're guaranteed a payment (a bit short of the $2k mark - has increased YOY).
However, if you're called up outside of this initial squad from QPR, then you're only paid if you play a certain number of games - not sure how many (3 or 4?).

I've discussed this info with several players present and past . its important that fans realise these blokes are given a monetary incentive other than to just "represent an NRC team" - helps to paint a complete picture of whats working and what isn't, with players that turn down opportunities to play NRC etc. My thoughts anyway - a little off tangent... :confused:

Thanks for clarifying that Eagles certain changed then from the first year or two which is good.

Some blokes don't take up an NRC contract because of work/study commitments - which is fine also.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Thats not quite true... RUPA has done an amazing job over the last several years ensuring NRC (club land) squad members are paid and looked after.

I've discussed this info with several players present and past . its important that fans realise these blokes are given a monetary incentive other than to just "represent an NRC team" - helps to paint a complete picture of whats working and what isn't, with players that turn down opportunities to play NRC etc. My thoughts anyway - a little off tangent... :confused:
You are correct, it $2k is for the whole 7-10 week season. It's not nothing but not much when you consider that players often have to take time off work for away games. I believe the NPC pay between 10-15 k for the season

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm very impressed with how both coaches are rotating the playing group thru all NRC Fixtures.

There's been a couple of weekends where there's some head scratching omissions. But I have a feeling with a full weekend away travel required and these players having family weekend commitments outside of Super Rugby/Premier season there would be some leighway why a certain player isn't playing & can stay back in Brissie.

Can't wait to see Liam Dillon finally make his NRC debut. There's not a harder working halfback in QPR then LD. Unfortunately he is stuck behind the best halfback in the country in Tate McDermott.

I think both these teams are headed for the NRC Playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.