• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD U16s 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)
Good to see Matt Adcock has made the squad, by far one of the better secondrowers running around queensland. Qld red Captain?

Marshall1

Frank Row (1)
I was at the trials, yes he played quite well but not as a playmaker, was more interested in running everything and starved his outside backs of the ball. The defence of both sides was of a low standard and feel if this what we are picking from we are in trouble from NSW.

I'm a bit disappointed only one player has nominated from BBC as there are five or six prime candidates. Whether they would've made it or not it wouldv'e been nice to see nominations.

deleted - hearsay about what player said needs work on defence and playmaking skills before he makes that call. If we are talking about 10s i'd like to make mention of Horan who plays 10 for Gregory Terrace who is playing 1st XV, Hes a good solid five-eight who is playing quite well in a side who are struggling. Like to make mention of the five-eight from TSS unsure of name, heard he played Qld 15s last year, watched him play the GT game, he was very dominant and controlled the game and the outside backs scored about three tries each, hes a great playmaker and defence is ruthless. This 10 would start 1st XV for alot of schools, but is in the shadow of the Australian five-eight, Mitch Third. Does anyone have any information on his background.

Dale Kerrigan

Frank Row (1)
I was at the trials, yes he played quite well but not as a playmaker, was more interested in running everything and starved his outside backs of the ball. The defence of both sides was of a low standard and feel if this what we are picking from we are in trouble from NSW.

I'm a bit disappointed only one player has nominated from BBC as there are five or six prime candidates. Whether they would've made it or not it wouldv'e been nice to see nominations.

Deleted - hearsay needs work on defence and playmaking skills before he makes that call. If we are talking about 10s i'd like to make mention of Horan who plays 10 for Gregory Terrace who is playing 1st XV, Hes a good solid five-eight who is playing quite well in a side who are struggling. Like to make mention of the five-eight from TSS unsure of name, heard he played Qld 15s last year, watched him play the GT game, he was very dominant and controlled the game and the outside backs scored about three tries each, hes a great playmaker and defence is ruthless. This 10 would start 1st XV for alot of schools, but is in the shadow of the Australian five-eight, Mitch Third. Does anyone have any information on his background.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/9980/Default.aspx
The new released squad shows there's more BBC players in it, would of just been a typo. Also Carroll is not up to QLD Red standard with the likes of Tyler Campbell, Horan, Liam McNamara (Qld 15's last year) and Isaac Douglas (played quite a bit of rep rugby over the years) still up for contention I'd be very surprised if he made it, versing poor teams doesn't shape up to high pressure. Also Tyler Campbell is the TSS boys name, new recruit for them after attending a previously heavy rugby league school. Top quality player, best fly half in QLD for 16's.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tyler Campbell would have to be a contender for the red team, making qld under 15 at flyhalf. Little bloke with a big mouth that controls the game very well. Good kicking game and strong defence, would be hard to see anyone else contend against him.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reece Hewat also another big gun to look out for, by far the best foward in the gps under 16 squad. Can play 4,5,6,7, and 8. and works well in all positions. Making the Qld under 18 red team that played at nationals early july, and also making the under 15 nsw team last year that played qld club team in coloundra.

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)

Deleted - hearsay needs work on defence and playmaking skills before he makes that call. If we are talking about 10s i'd like to make mention of Horan who plays 10 for Gregory Terrace who is playing 1st XV, Hes a good solid five-eight who is playing quite well in a side who are struggling. Like to make mention of the five-eight from TSS unsure of name, heard he played Qld 15s last year, watched him play the GT game, he was very dominant and controlled the game and the outside backs scored about three tries each, hes a great playmaker and defence is ruthless. This 10 would start 1st XV for alot of schools, but is in the shadow of the Australian five-eight, Mitch Third. Does anyone have any information on his background.

Okay for you to say his defense needs work is laughable. Carroll is easily considered one of the best defenders in the halves in queensland rugby league. He obviously can ball play if he made qld rugby league this year? Also to back up this playmaking statement of mine may I suggest you youtube easts tiger cyrill connell 2013 and have a look at a four man cut out ball he throws to his winger to score in the corner. All in all he was a major contributor to Iona winning the First XV premiership in the AIC comp. For him not to be in the qld red team would be possibly the biggest selection blunder in recent years. And no I'm not one of his mates or relatives. I'm someone who knows talent!

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Is Jackson Evans a chance (now playing 7 for NC First XV)?

He's gone from 14B's to the Firsts in two years, not a bad effort from a fee-paying student amid a sea of imports.

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
dean bender who is from tgs played for tgs firsts on the weekend and was very impressive. would be a good asset on the wing and definately a dark horse to make the team

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OK, I have edited a number of posts, and deleted a couple.
Please do not write hearsay about what a player / coach etc said or did not say which cannot, and will not be substantiated.
It causes unnecessary angst to the player involved, and also a pain in the arse for us to moderate.
Commenting on how a player performed, or whether you think they deserve higher honours is fine, as long as it is balanced and civil.
As you all were.

Marshall1

Frank Row (1)
Okay for you to say his defense needs work is laughable. Carroll is easily considered one of the best defenders in the halves in queensland rugby league. He obviously can ball play if he made qld rugby league this year? Also to back up this playmaking statement of mine may I suggest you youtube easts tiger cyrill connell 2013 and have a look at a four man cut out ball he throws to his winger to score in the corner. All in all he was a major contributor to Iona winning the First XV premiership in the AIC comp. For him not to be in the qld red team would be possibly the biggest selection blunder in recent years. And no I'm not one of his mates or relatives. I'm someone who knows talent!

I never said he was not a good player, I think he is just a classy player, playing out of position. In regards to defence, he defends like hes playing league, and worries about the one on one tackle, rather than running the defensive line as a good five-eighth does, a dominant team would've seen the holes he left open in the middle, and when talking about play making, he drifts as soon as he gets the ball like a number 6 does in league, a good coach and strong defensive line would cotton on and shut this down in two seconds, causing the outside backs to run out of room and not have space to attack. Which is the object of our game Union to create space and put players in space. I appreciate the video that I did watch, it would be nice to see his playing skills in the union context rather than that of league. If you spend time watchig high class rugby you would know that the cut out pass is a fifty-fifty call, and is easier to pull off in league as they play a different defensive pattern.

I think as a player who knows rugby feel he would be more suited to a mid-field position, because he runs good lines. Hence he doesn't play half-back in league who controls the game just like the five-eight in does in Union.

To say it is an injustice for him not to be seleceted for Queensland Red, is a big call, when there are alot of class players out there. Like I told you I can only judge him on the game I watched, its going to be hard to take the leaguey out of the boy. And I see the league team they selected for the U16s this year, after some research, got thrashed from NSW thirty something nil, we can't be that weak in league in QLD can we.

I am enjoying this debate with you, and I'm sure we will have more to talk about after the second trial. It's a shame that the GPS boys are not involved in the trials because then I feel you'd see a tighter game with less holes, which would be more interesting to watch.

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
When talking about 10, Horan from GT has to be up there. The other 10 I had in mind is Liam Mosely from NC however he's only just come back from injury. I'm aware of Carroll and his play and had a look at the same clip on Youtube. He had the likes of Calvin Pritchard and Tiaan Wilkins outside of him and they worked well together. They are both good defenders and wouldn't be surprise if they are both picked for either squads. Looking at some the players being nominated and those that are playing firsts appear to be another good year for Qld.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Is Jackson Evans a chance (now playing 7 for NC First XV)?

He's gone from 14B's to the Firsts in two years, not a bad effort from a fee-paying student amid a sea of imports.

Not quite correct, Jackson Evans was in the 15A's last year.

Marshall1

Frank Row (1)
Any team predictions or possible players, red team?

Thought i'd pop down and watch the boys play TSS over the weekend, well done to Nudgee's 1st XV for a great win on TSS home soil. The game of the round was the 16A's game with a one point difference. 25-24. TSS lead through the game but Nudgee showed persistence and came back to win with a penatly goal, having taken advantage of TSS playing with 14 men. It was a great game played in good spritis. Player who stood out for me were Nudgee's 8, 12 and 13 and fullback who scored two tries. For TSS 8, 1, but there stand out player was their 10 who set up two tries, his defence was second to none. Nudgee were smart and attacked TSS out wide.

My predictions are

Red Team

1. Gavin Luka (Nudgee 1st XV)
2. Josh Webb (Churchie 1st XV)
3. Enoka Kalapu (State High 1st XV)
4. Darcy Swain (BBC 1st XV)
5. Reece Hewat (Nudgee 1st XV)
6. Cooper McKenzie (TSS 16 As)
7. Matt Suita (State High 1st XV)
8. Kyle Leofa (Terrace 16a's)
9 Eli Pills (Nudgee 1st XV)
10 Tyler Campbell (TSS 16As)
11 Kalyn Ponga (Churchie 15As)
12 Calvin Pritchard (Nudgee 1st XV)
13 Tiaan Wilkins (BBC 1st XV)
14 Tyrone Southen (State High 1st)
15 Iziah Perese (Churchie 1st XV)
16Johaan Kootz (Ipswich Grammar)
17 Shambecker Vui (Ipswich)
18 Toby Greenup (TSS 1st XV and 16As)
19 Lucas Palmer (BBC 1st XV)
20 Pat Dooley (BGS 1st XV)
21 Harry Nucifora (Churchie 1st XV)
22 Alex Horan (Terrace 1st XV)
23 Jim Henjack (State High 1st XV)

Not sure if Queensland will split the two halfbacks into the two teams or keep them together, likewise for all other positions.

the_brainz

Frank Row (1)
Everyone when picking the QLD under 16's Red team seem to just think THAT ONLY GPS BOYS ARE GOING TO MAKE IT.

My Prediction
Red Team
1. Gavin Luku
2. Josh Webb
3. Enoka Kalapu
4. Angus Scott-Young
5. Recce Hewat
6. Matt Sautia
7. Jack Farrell (Qld under 15 repesented)
8. Kyle Leofa
9. Eli Pliz
10. Alex Horan
11. Tyrone Southen
12. Calvin Pritchard
13. Iziah Perese
14. Clifton Setu
15. Tiaan Wilkins
16. Johaan Kootz
17. Peter Flitcroft (CSS represented) very good at scrums
18. Shambecker Vui
19. Darcy Swain