• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper - The most important player in Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Under the Deans model QC (Quade Cooper) is absolutely essential as there is no plan to breakdown a defence. The only way the Wallabies scored was through some individual brilliance. That is why players such as QC (Quade Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are essential for the Wallabies. Deans has shown that he is incapable at the Wallabies of creating a game plan that is more than just run it headless chook and shovel it to a star to make a break.

A stark contrast to the game plans enacted by the QLD Reds coaching squad & team this year which showed markedly different approaches depending on who they played.

The question begs to be asked why don't the Wallabies play a complete game like the Crusaders did? Maybe just maybe Deans had a lot less to do with the success of that side than he has been given credit for.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
When QLD win Australia wins. Get the REDS on the paddock, with the other QLD boys (pocock,oconner)

T

Train Without a Station

Maybe just maybe Deans had a lot less to do with the success of that side than he has been given credit for.

Gnostic, the longer he coaches the Wallabies, the more likely this certainly seems.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would actually prefer Daley over Alexander at loosehead. Daley may suck slightly more at scrum time, but at least he does the tight work around the ruck. edit: that is a hypothetical to highlight the importance of tight play from the tight forwards, not just scrummaging, neither should be there for the WC.

The amount of seagulls in the Wallabies pack is horrid. We can't afford to carry Alexander, Elsom, Higgers, Kepu, Timani, even Hodgson, all in the same pack. Some are worse than others, but most need to play tight. The Reds could carry Higgers because of the tight work from the tight five, Robinson/Gill, and Samo/Schatz.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The question begs to be asked why don't the Wallabies play a complete game like the Crusaders did? Maybe just maybe Deans had a lot less to do with the success of that side than he has been given credit for.

I think you'd be surprised at how "hands on" Deans was at the Crusaders. He was very involved and would spend a lot of one on one time with each player in particular the lesser knowns.

I don't know what the situation is at the Wallabies, but hopefully that answers your question a bit.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think you'd be surprised at how "hands on" Deans was at the Crusaders. He was very involved and would spend a lot of one on one time with each player in particular the lesser knowns.

I don't know what the situation is at the Wallabies, but hopefully that answers your question a bit.

Alright then answer the other part of the question - why don't the Wallabies play a Crusaders complete Rugby game style after 4 years of his qalimighty rugby tutelage? Why don't they play with some semblance of game plan?

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I actually think that Beale has the same sort of influence that Cooper has. He was exceptional when he came on today.
Genia is also really important.

But it was the forwards that lost that game today. They didnt get involved at the breakdown.
I think a front row of Slipper and Kepu would be the way to go. Alexander on the bench.
Daley is fine around the field but a liability in the set piece. He will get better though.

T

Train Without a Station

Farva, I think with Slipper starting we would make no improvement on today, as he plays a similar loose game like Alexander.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Farva, I think with Slipper starting we would make no improvement on today, as he plays a similar loose game like Alexander.

Funny, I think that Slipper plays a hell of a lot tighter and does more work than Alexander. I have yet to see Slipper popping up at outside centre or on the wing or perennially hanging out of rucks looking to run the ball. Got to completely disagree there.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Alright then answer the other part of the question - why don't the Wallabies play a Crusaders complete Rugby game style after 4 years of his qalimighty rugby tutelage? Why don't they play with some semblance of game plan?

He plays to the strengths available (his words) and the Aussie culture (my opinion). Which is speed and pace/backs oriented. We have less emphasis on forwards and defense than kiwis. you can see that by the stick the Tahs cop in a year where they have performed extremely well in the face of injuries that were what, double any other sides for key players?

Our backline skillset is almost ceertainly the best in the world, of course Deans plays to that set. Can he mix it up as Ewen did? I think he wants the capacity to have that option and he has worked very hard to develop it - with the franchise coaches included. He may speak in tecnorobotron, but the man's the best coach Super Rugby ever saw.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
With the forwards going backwards and Phipps struggling at the base Cooper would not have made much difference.
Beale and Genia made a huge difference when they came on and it could have been a very different scoreline if JOC (James O'Connor) had taken the field in place of Rocket as originally planned.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Like I said Gnostic, I don't know what's going on at the Wallabies and how things are managed etc. Just had some insight into the Crusaders, that's all.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Haven't watched the game and this may not be the right thread but it seems like the Reds having 2 outstanding props around the park that can do everything you prob expect from really makes a difference to a side. Alexander was poor this year. Give me a weaker scrum with Daley and Slipper anyday compared to these guys today. What they do around the field more than makes up for the odd penalty against us at scrum time.

That's not to say was Fat cat fit he would still be my first choice loosehead but their must come a time when small advantages in the scrum are outweighed by other aspects a player can bring to the table.

Eddie Jones lives.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That was the weirdest post I've ever seen. The Reds scrum got dominated by provincial teams, how would they even compete internationally.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The binding in the scrum looked very loose again. They were unable to resist the Samoan power initially.
Plenty of work needs to be done there in a hurry.

Foley please?

Status
Not open for further replies.