• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My understanding is that Sharpe is on a special match payment figure. Very, very special if my source is correct.

Yeah but when was it negotiated? Obviously the ARU must have given him a pretty big carrot to convince him to postpone retirement TWICE to lead the side.

But at the end of 2010 (from memory) Sharpe lost his ARU top-up altogether. And look at how he responded to that adversity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can we please take a more rational approach to this?
Anyone know when Quade's last 1 year contract came into effect? I'd be happy to put some stats together on games played + game performace and compare with other wallabies to ascertain how viable this actual offer is?

What we have to realise is that Quade should be rewarded for performance and not potential, especially given his choice of only wanting a one year contract. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I believe these contracts run on a calendar year basis.

So Cooper was paid his 2012 ARU contract (less his fine) to play one test. That's one hell of a match payment!

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He's not doing a pressser till early next week, considering the response that will get and the consternation leading up to it, this thread, like M. Clarke on a flat wicket, is a cert for 200.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I believe these contracts run on a calendar year basis.

So Cooper was paid his 2012 ARU contract (less his fine) to play one test. That's one hell of a match payment!
One test in 2012??? Is there a reason that the below matches are not included?
Australia(3)23 - 19(6)Argentina(FT)
Gold Coast, 15 September 2012
Australia (6) 26 - 19 (13) South Africa (FT)
Perth, 8 September 2012
New Zealand (9) 22 - 0 (0) Australia (FT)
Auckland, 25 August 2012

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One test in 2012??? Is there a reason that the below matches are not included?
Australia(3)23 - 19(6)Argentina(FT)
Gold Coast, 15 September 2012

Australia (6) 26 - 19 (13) South Africa (FT)
Perth, 8 September 2012

New Zealand (9) 22 - 0 (0) Australia (FT)
Auckland, 25 August 2012

Sorry, it would appear I have some memory loss.

You are correct that he played three tests in 2012.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can understand the 0-22 match at Eden Park being blocked out and stored in the deep recesses of the brain, in that bit marked "authorised personnel only" along with all the other horrible nightmares like those about the boogie man, flares and body shirts, the first ever hangover etc.

Reactions: BPC

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Taking stats from ESPN Scrum for the 3 tests that Quade played in the last year he scored no tries, had 2 try assists, ran 34 metres, beat 1 defender, had 1 offload, turned over the ball 10 times, made 18 tackles and missed 1, conceded 1 penalty and scored no points.

If you ask me, given that he chose to do a year by year basis for his contract negotiations, a top-up only contract sounds about right.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Funny, I looked there as well to determine his value add.
was surprised at 18 tackles made,with only 1 miss.(interesting the AB's made him do 10 of those tackles)
Says a fair bit about the defensive structure,the cavalry supported him well in D.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Quade said he didn't want ot play for Australia again and he's now getting his wish. Christian Lealiifano will be better then him.

Australian Rugby is better then this asshole. Players come and go. The game stay strong.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't like Quade but I would rather he stayed. He is important to Queensland although his importance to the Wallabies has lessened over the last year following his injuries. That could easily change but the ARU do have some onus to take QRU's interests into account and not just the national teams. Both the ARU and QC (Quade Cooper)/Nasser have royally screwed up the negotiations.

I can't see Quade pursuing a career in boxing. I would pay good money to see Cooper v Weidler as his first bout however.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I dont think he will leave, especially to do boxing. I saw the interview last night and at no point did he say he wanted to do boxing he jsut sia dhe liked the trainign which he did in rehab and found it interesting.....its just a media beat up.

And let sbe honest we may not like Nasser but he has shown that he is a pretty savvy manager (just look at what he has done for SBW), I dont think he is stupid enough to piss on ARU's & QRU's Shoes twice

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think all of us would like a player of Quade's ability to stay. I don't know one person who'd actually like to see such great skills leave rugby. Most people just want to see some humility from the bloke and to simply do what he does best, play good, attacking rugby.
The only reason why many wish Quade would sod off is because of all the baggage he brings off the field.

I like to compare it to hot/crazy girl scale.

the-hot-crazy-scale-how-i-met-your-mother-barney-stinson-hot-demotivational-poster-1234586298.jpg

When Cooper is playing great, he's allowed to be an idiot, when he isn't playing well, his idiocy causes him to fall out of favour with many fans.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What the Cooper saga has confirmed is the ARU and Wallabies apparent inability to man manage their players.
No idea who is at fault between O'Neill, Nucifora, Deans or others, or the players themselves, BUT the list of disenchanted players keeps getting longer.
Whether it's been in camp, on tour, at training, after games, in contract negotiations, on social media, in interviews, on TV or other, players are saying things and doing things unbecoming a representative (paid employee) of our country.
The answer lies somewhere between the inmates (players) have got the keys, are out of order and need a stick taken to them AND the players are spot on with their actions and behaviour, the ARU and Wallabies management are out of touch and can't relate or communicate properly with the players.
Giteau, G Smith, Elsom and Cooper have all departed under questionable circumstances and it just seems it might be a matter of time before Beale and O'Connor join them.
Where is some leadership?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What the Cooper saga has confirmed is the ARU and Wallabies apparent inability to man manage their players.
No idea who is at fault between O'Neill, Nucifora, Deans or others, or the players themselves, BUT the list of disenchanted players keeps getting longer.
Whether it's been in camp, on tour, at training, after games, in contract negotiations, on social media, in interviews, on TV or other, players are saying things and doing things unbecoming a representative (paid employee) of our country.
The answer lies somewhere between the inmates (players) have got the keys, are out of order and need a stick taken to them AND the players are spot on with their actions and behaviour, the ARU and Wallabies management are out of touch and can't relate or communicate properly with the players.
Giteau, G Smith, Elsom and Cooper have all departed under questionable circumstances and it just seems it might be a matter of time before Beale and O'Connor join them.
Where is some leadership?

Just one question, do you think that Cooper has taken no part or has been a protagonist?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Schadenfreude, careful what you wish for.

QC (Quade Cooper) is 24 IIRC. After 3 (or is it 4) years in Frogland, under IRB residency grounds he will be eligible to play for Les Bleus.

Given his current unpredictability and somewhat mercurial play, can you imagine what he could when playing for Les Frogge?

Any contract he signs overseas must be for a maximum of 2 years, with a clause that he must return to Australia and re-establish residency before any further contracts can be signed. :)

By all means let him go overseas when he is fit enough, but don't let him become eligible for Les Frogge. If he steps up to the required level, then Club Wallaby should welcome him back with open arms.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Schadenfreude, careful what you wish for.

QC (Quade Cooper) is 24 IIRC. After 3 (or is it 4) years in Frogland, under IRB residency grounds he will be eligible to play for Les Bleus.

Given his current unpredictability and somewhat mercurial play, can you imagine what he could when playing for Les Frogge?

Any contract he signs overseas must be for a maximum of 2 years, with a clause that he must return to Australia and re-establish residency before any further contracts can be signed. :)

By all means let him go overseas when he is fit enough, but don't let him become eligible for Les Frogge. If he steps up to the required level, then Club Wallaby should welcome him back with open arms.
They changed that rule a while ago Hugh. Once you have played Test rugby, Sevens or National A level you can't play for another country.

Status
Not open for further replies.