• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is there another game going on? I am trying to catch on all the ITM cup games on the IQ. Saw a bit of the Swannies magnificant victory in the CCVB but mungo disinterests me totally.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Guys you didn't miss much the RL GF was very ordinary. I can guarantee Quade won't be Tweeting 'Where do I get tickets!!' this week.

I get lectured so many times about the lack of tries in the game I love by Loig-only supporters. Well guys for one whole half you didnt get any points - not even a penalty kick. Too funny.

Interesting reversal though NSW based team wins VFL GF, VIC based team wins NRL GF (albeit a fair few Swans are from Vic & a fair few of the Storm are from QLD).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So I guess Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Kane Douglas, Faingaas, Pocock, Slipper, Genia aren't Gen Y to you? There's plenty of young blokes in the Wallabies set up with the right attitude.

Technically I think just about the whole squad are gen Y.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Maybe it's a new Zealand gen y problem? ;)

We certainly have some prolific tweeters in our lot (Jane etc), however I'd venture to say they'd last 5 minutes in the AB squad if they tweeted the kind of crap that QC (Quade Cooper) has done.

Can you imagine McCaw and other senior players putting up with this sort of unsettling influence on the team?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The best Canterbury Lamb is not exported.

According to my kiwi mates, they like to keep the best for the domestic market. Australia gets what John West rejects.

John West apparently didn't want QC (Quade Cooper) and RD. It is becoming clear why.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Can you imagine McCaw and other senior players putting up with this sort of unsettling influence on the team?

No they wouldn't have. Problem is, the shit behavior has been accepted for too long. Why didn't the older guys ever pull the younger ones aside and tell them to pull their heads in?

Robbie and the ARU have made their bed for the past five years and they're now starting to moan about the smell? Robbie has had essentially complete control over the players he could bring into the squad he could have cut them at the first sign of trouble, yet we had an out of form, out of shape fly half who still has to front in front of a judge for an alcohol incident.

The "amigos" are only carrying on like pork chops because they don't know anything different. Their attitudes can be changed, but you're kidding yourself if you think JON or Deans knows how to do it. Eddie Jones, Jake White and Graeme Henry could probably tell a story or two on how to "guide" troubled stars and there's probably a correlation that two of those three have won the last two World Cups with the other getting within a bees dick.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
I wonder if the lack of a third tier competition has some influence on young wallaby "stars" One week they are playing club rugby and the next are catapaulted into the international arena. Heady stuff. I know when I played rugby,many moons ago, working your way up through the grades not only were you competing with others of your age group,but all the old cunning buggars on the downward spiral. Senior reserve was much tougher to play than senior for instance. One had to work up steadily through a structured system rather than making a giant leap.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree pretty strongly here Bon, I don't think you can overestimate how important it can be for young fellas to have a bit of time playing with 'old heads' around, they usually are pretty good at grounding stars. And as bada says perhaps some older heads in Wallabies squad need to take charge, I read just a few weeks ago about some promotion for adidas where some of the ABs played around with design of training jersey, a few backs were wearing a pink/whte one and when any forwards even looked at them Richie just looked at them, and they decided to pick blue/white. I know it only a light hearted thing, but just I think it still shows that the senior players should have a bit of 'mana' to help youngsters decide right course!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Forwards (AKA Rugby players) tend to be pack animals needing to be lead by an Alpha Personality which that readily obey.

Backs (AKA Rugby Followers) tend to be individualists needed to have their egos polished and self esteem constantly reinforced by sycophants.

History is replete with examples of Backs doing a Quade and whinging about the quality of the thread count in the sheets in the hotel they are staying in. Forwards tend to hit the headlines for the things they hit like Keith Murdoch (hotel doors and bouncers), Richard Low (noses and eyes), Melon Finnegan (taxis).

Rather than being a Gen X or Y issue, is this Supermodel type behaviour simply a Backs thing?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Shock Headline: Gen Y Disagree It's Their Fault

Guys, if you could read as well as my generation you would have noticed that I wasn't trying to blame anyone. I was making the point that 20 year olds are made differently and need to be managed differently. I'll give you an example from my workplace. When I went to uni, on day one, some cranky old bastard said: "You're at uni now, no-one's going to hold your hand. No-one's going to make you turn up to lectures or do the readings. It's entirely up to you." (Can I get a Like from my 40yo colleagues?) My point is that the same standards need to apply but using different language. I think Deans and Co are getting this wrong by being soft on standards and hard on rhetoric. With Gen Y you've got to be hard on standards and soft on rhetoric.

And yes, Hugh, I completely agree. Being a forward tends to teach you a few tough lessons that Mum didn't have the stomach for.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is so much hate directed towards Quade, call me soft if you like but I think he needs our love.

Someone mentioned earlier what would his mother think, at the World Cup Quade’s grandmother summed it up perfectly. As a parent I too would be horrified at his treatment (and his stupidity also!). Quade is not malicious, he's a dill for sure and he does need to be a lot tougher (and smarter) if he is to survive in the environment that is professional sport, on and off the field.
I fear for Quade, he's been through a lot in his personal life (that has been reported, there may well be more) and he needs help, I hopes he makes it through life okay, with or without rugby.
I could say a lot more but I don't want to become what I am protesting about so I will keep this message clear of too many negatives.

I would like Quade to prove us all wrong and be successful in his future endeavours. Helping the team win games of rugby in the future (and particularly sweet would be beating New Zealand in the next World Cup final) would be the most favourable outcome of course!

By the way I like Robbie and Richie McCaw too!

For me:

Time wounds all heels
Time heals all wounds.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
We are breeding a generation of softies. If you think Gen Y is soft and doesn't take criticism and adversity well, then wait for the next generation, whatever they will be called. I propose Gen Delusion, because authorities, educators and most of all parents are sure as hell not creating an environment that is preparing our kids for the harsh realities they will face when things go to shit, which they inevitably do somewhere along the line.

Everything in the schooling system is about not upsetting the little blighters and godforbid damaging their little egos.

They will grow up to be little narcissist that cannot fathom the idea of criticism nor can they handle the fact that they are not being praised for every meaningless little event. Gen Y is already offering us a more than a glimpse of what this next generation will be like. There is already a massive sense of entitlement that is only going to get worse. Apologies to the Gen Y'ers who actually take life a little seriously but they are in the minority.

A guy like Quade ends up living in a bubble. It's not hard to understand. Constant praise, glorification, getting away with bad behavior with absolutely NO consequences. Suddenly LIFE HAPPENS and things don't go his way so what is there to do? Rebel. Throw the toys. I know nothing about Quade's upbringing but he looks like a kid who just cannot understand that the world isn't serving him and now he wants the world to change or he won't play any more.

I'll stop now but this is my biggest bug bear, or at least one of them.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
We are breeding a generation of softies. If you think Gen Y is soft and doesn't take criticism and adversity well, then wait for the next generation, whatever they will be called. I propose Gen Delusion, because authorities, educators and most of all parents are sure as hell not creating an environment that is preparing our kids for the harsh realities they will face when things go to shit, which they inevitably do somewhere along the line.

Everything in the schooling system is about not upsetting the little blighters and godforbid damaging their little egos.

They will grow up to be little narcissist that cannot fathom the idea of criticism nor can they handle the fact that they are not being praised for every meaningless little event. Gen Y is already offering us a more than a glimpse of what this next generation will be like. There is already a massive sense of entitlement that is only going to get worse. Apologies to the Gen Y'ers who actually take life a little seriously but they are in the minority.

A guy like Quade ends up living in a bubble. It's not hard to understand. Constant praise, glorification, getting away with bad behavior with absolutely NO consequences. Suddenly LIFE HAPPENS and things don't go his way so what is there to do? Rebel. Throw the toys. I know nothing about Quade's upbringing but he looks like a kid who just cannot understand that the world isn't serving him and now he wants the world to change or he won't play any more.

You are "spot on" Blue!
Add to this the fact that so many elite sports men and women have bulging wallets, with little to spend the dollars on other than tatoos, smart phones, clothes, booze and entertainment, we have created an ongoing problem.
I wonder how many of the 'rat pack' can change a wheel on a car, replace the spark plug or cutting blades on a lawn mower, or replace a leaking tap washer, a light globe or fluro starter for their Mum?!

R

randalf8

The problem is that we aren't winning. Anything can be rationalised in the context of a winning team, and any/everything blows up into a huge issue on losing team.

As for no third tier, I call bullshit on that being a reason. Where was this third tier between 1998 and 2002? We didn't have one then, either, and that team behaved and to the extent they didn't behave, we didn't care because they were winning.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Shock Headline: Gen Y Disagree It's Their Fault

Guys, if you could read as well as my generation you would have noticed that I wasn't trying to blame anyone. I was making the point that 20 year olds are made differently and need to be managed differently. I'll give you an example from my workplace. When I went to uni, on day one, some cranky old bastard said: "You're at uni now, no-one's going to hold your hand. No-one's going to make you turn up to lectures or do the readings. It's entirely up to you." (Can I get a Like from my 40yo colleagues?) My point is that the same standards need to apply but using different language. I think Deans and Co are getting this wrong by being soft on standards and hard on rhetoric. With Gen Y you've got to be hard on standards and soft on rhetoric.

And yes, Hugh, I completely agree. Being a forward tends to teach you a few tough lessons that Mum didn't have the stomach for.

Deans has actually encouraged the power in the younger players. He has thrown his lot in with them and basically said - you are our saviours! Picking JOC (James O'Connor) very early, keeping Beale around when he wasn't fit and allowing Cooper to make himself public enemy no.1 in NZ are all examples of poor management. You wonder if he started to realise this a bit and that was when he decided to throw a bloke like McCabe into the leadership group?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I don't think Quade was born with a silver spoon by all means. Sounds like his parents worked pretty hard for their kids to get what they did have.

On the breeding of softies - it is almost like we needed to go into a full blown recession like the rest of the world to teach the younger generations a few home truths.

Status
Not open for further replies.