• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe Cooper knew that O'Neill was leaving and thats why he took to twitter and said what he said. Trying to show how strong and independant he is (with a view to a new contract reflecting his love and concern for OZ Rugby) without having to deal with O'neill

T

TOCC

JON stepping down may been inevitable, potentially the Quade issue brought forward this actually happening...

It's hard to say without knowing the inner workings of the ARU..

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wallabies outcast Quade Cooper says he wants to return to Australia's team setup
  • By Wayne Smith and Bret Harris
  • The Australian
  • October 20, 20128:46AM

Controversial playmaker Quade Cooper has told Queensland Reds officials and fellow Australia players he wants to play for the Wallabies again.
The same applies to his Super Rugby and Test halves partner Will Genia, who has come to terms with the Australian Rugby Union, with a three-year deal expected to be announced early next week.

And in an extraordinary day of reconciliation for Australian rugby, a Wallabies spokesman has confirmed that estranged Test centre Matt Giteau moved to heal his rift with Robbie Deans by texting the Wallabies coach at the height of the Australian team's injury crisis to offer his services in any capacity he was needed.
Giteau's manager, Rob Smith, said the Toulon-based 92-Test veteran had been concerned by how hard the Wallabies had been hit by injury and only wanted to help, even if that meant going on next month's tour of Europe and filling a spot on the bench.
"Matt is 100 per cent behind the Wallabies and he reached out, knowing that the rules as they now stand would prohibit overseas-based players being selected for Australia," Smith said.
It is understood Deans sent an appreciative reply in which he complimented Giteau on his form in France's Top 14 competition. But no decision will be taken on whether an approach will even be made to the ARU board to reconsider its longstanding ban on the selection of overseas-based Australians until after Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup Test in Brisbane.
Meanwhile, it is understood moves are under way to bring Cooper back into the Wallabies fold, even though he will face an ARU Code of Conduct hearing within the next fortnight.
In an explosive interview on Fox Sports' The Rugby Club last month, Cooper alienated almost all of his Australian teammates by announcing he did not want to play for the Wallabies.
But Queensland Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael, who has met with Cooper every week since the player openly broke with Deans by tweeting that the environment within the Wallabies was "toxic", told The Weekend Australian that the Reds playmaker had told him and Wallabies captains James Horwill and Genia he still wanted to play for Australia.
Watch the Wallabies take on the All Blacks LIVE from 8pm (EDT) on Saturday on Fox Sports 3HD.
"He genuinely wants to play for the Reds and the Wallabies," Carmichael said. "He absolutely believes it is a privilege to represent his country and that he made a mistake in what he said."
Cooper is understood to have met with the ARU's integrity officer Phil Thompson and explained to him that he was so nervous when he appeared on The Rugby Club that when asked whether he was prepared to play for Australia that weekend, he had said no.
"What Quade has told me he meant to say was that he was in no state then, because he was feeling so despondent, to play for Australia," Carmichael said. The Reds boss said Cooper had conveyed the same message to other Reds in the Wallabies.
"I can't speak for the other (non-Queensland) Wallabies but our group think highly of him," he said.
Sources also have confirmed that Genia was angry about a newspaper report this week that he was considering taking a break from Australian rugby to play in Japan. The story is understood not to have originated from Genia or his manager.
The good news for Australia is that the brilliant Test halfback, who months ago signed a three-year deal to stay with the Reds - after withdrawing from a deal with the Western Force - has agreed to terms with the ARU.

Read more: [URL='http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-outcast-quade-cooper-says-he-wants-to-return-to-australias-team-setup/story-e6frf55l-1226499752912#ixzz29mvz3jWc[/QUOTE']http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-outcast-quade-cooper-says-he-wants-to-return-to-australias-team-setup/story-e6frf55l-1226499752912#ixzz29mvz3jWc[/URL]

Very interesting.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
That all sounds very promising. Let's just hope Cooper is contrite and this thing finally dies so we can get back to the important stuff, Rugby.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
what a piss load of nothing that was.

Really? Quade repeated his comments - across different media for a week. He didn't back away from his comments or retract them.

Does that constitute his defence - it was a brain fade and I was nervous - which can be sorted out with an of-course-I-wanna-play-type comment?

Just under a month on, has anyone heard an apology from him, or has he moved to clear the air?

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
Really? Quade repeated his comments - across different media for a week. He didn't back away from his comments or retract them.

Does that constitute his defence - it was a brain fade and I was nervous - which can be sorted out with an of-course-I-wanna-play-type comment?

Just under a month on, has anyone heard an apology from him, or has he moved to clear the air?

Give the guy a break. He made a mistake and is trying his best to fix it. Quade is not the smartest person running around and his explanation of nervousness (miscommunication) has a ring of truth about it. Don't forget, he was singled out by the coach after the Argentina game and copped some abuse inside the sheds after the match. These events all contributed to his misjudgment.

Quade is a brilliant player and a massive asset for Australian rugby. He is also a genuinely nice young bloke who goes out of his way, probably more than any other player, to connect with rugby fans after matches.

Get him back inside the tent ASAP.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
.../snip/... Quade is not the smartest person running around .../snip/... .

Quade is a brilliant player and a massive asset for Australian rugby. He is also a genuinely nice young bloke who goes out of his way, probably more than any other player, to connect with rugby fans after matches.

.../snip/... .

The Darkness can not beat us without him. Do we really need him? Work on the lads who want to play for Gold.

The existing lads in Gold can be trained to connect with the fans after matches.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Give the guy a break. He made a mistake and is trying his best to fix it. Quade is not the smartest person running around and his explanation of nervousness (miscommunication) has a ring of truth about it. Don't forget, he was singled out by the coach after the Argentina game and copped some abuse inside the sheds after the match. These events all contributed to his misjudgment.

He makes negative tweets about the culture in the squad, then goes on tv 4 or 5 days later and states a number of times that he refuses to play for the Wobs until things change.
If that was a mistake and he fluffed his lines, a one line tweet, a statement clarifying what he meant to say would have been an easy fix.But it's been nearly a month and nothing.
He meant to say what he said on the Rugby show.

In terms of his value, I think you are confusing his worth with the Reds with his worth as a Wallaby.
He has played 38 Tests and should no longer be judged on potential.
On form, he is not good enough to make the 22 ATM .If the Wobs were at full strength he would be lucky to be in a squad of 35.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)

He's run down the entire set-up. Talk about toxic

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
To be honest I don't think he should, and I doubt he will be, selected for the Wallabies for the immediate future. Injury aside, after his comments I think he will have to prove himself indispensible at provincial level and the undisputed top number 10 in Australia before he will be re-selected.

But this is very good news for the Reds. He is crucial to their aspirations and I'm sure Carmichael and McKensie have done a LOT of work behind the scenes to make sure their was some sort of reconciliation.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
On a side note. I haven't read through all 71 pages of this thread, so it may have already been discussed, but I haven't seen it brought up. To me the crux of the matter is when he stated on the Rugby Club that he wouldn't play for Australia because the ARU still hadn't agreed to certain provisions in his contract that he wanted met to stay in Australian rugby. It was incredibly stupid and unproffesional of him to bring private contract negotiations into a public forum, and even more so since he basically draw a line in the sand publically. Rather than be held for ransom the ARU would have had almost no choice but to tear up the contract and tell him to reconsider after those actions. Which he presumably has done now, at a much weaker bargaining position than he had before the Rugby Club. But what I'm curious about is what exactly were those provisions that he almost destroyed his career over them?

I'm pretty sure they weren't that the Wallabies should have a permanent training ground. And I'm also pretty sure they weren't that Robbie Deans should go. I don't think they would have been directly about money either as I can't see his outburst being the result of a few zero's, especially when he made the point, quite correctly, that if he followed SBW to League, under the salary cap he would take a big hit. Possibilities I could see might be to do with sponsership (money indirectly), or possibly the ability to participate in other sports (boxing or an exhibition game of league with SBW) which might be forbidden in his contract.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
anyone able to let me know what exactlyl kearnsy said about quade post match? foxtel didn't record the post match interviews and commentary for some reason.

quade's mea culpa is a bit much a bit late to honest. where was this a month ago after the comments?
that kid has overplayed his hand and his value is dowwwwn to aussie rugby. worth a truck load for the reds though, but at wallaby level he's fast at risk of the national team moving on from him. KB (Kurtley Beale) going from strength to strength - a couple superb tackles by him last night.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fact: If Cooper comes back he would be dynamite off the bench for 15 at the end of the game at 10 or 15. He has the real potential to blow a game open when bodies are tiring.

Opinion: Cooper would be very unwilling to ride the pine for the majority of a Spring tour. If he was to be benched to would be framed as a punishment whereas in reality benching him is the better option for the team.

What will happen here? Hmm, who knows.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To be honest, nothing would be better than having both KB (Kurtley Beale) and Cooper wanting to be the Wallaby 10 and trying to outdo the other in getting there. I've seen enough from KB (Kurtley Beale) of late to suggest he could really step up; his kicking in general play is generally better I think. Cooper showed more desire to tackle this year and probably has the edge on organising his backs and a slightly better pass. If a player won't accept being part of the team and sitting on the bench when asked to, then we'll not see the best of them.
I hope Cooper stays, but perhaps slightly adjusts his attitude. He is a valuable asset to Qld and Oz.

D

daz

Sorry, but this just highlights how wrong QC (Quade Cooper) was and especially highlights the way he went about sniping his coach and employers.

He needs to be banished for a while. He should not be given a hug and a Gold jersey anytime soon; to do so would send a terrible message to the Wallaby players.

Status
Not open for further replies.