• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2025

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Signings and re-signings have started.

This is for confirmed contracts, as much as possible. Let me know if I missed any.

Queensland Reds 2024 (37 signed)

Les Kiss - Head Coach (2026)
Brad Davis - defence and backs (2026)
Jonathan Fisher - breakdown and forward skills (2026)
Zane Hilton - set piece forward (2026)
Dale Roberson - academy (2026)

Hookers:
Matt Faessler - 2025

Props:
Alex Hodgman - 2025
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - 2025
George Blake - 2026
Zane Nonggorr - 2026

Locks:
Angus Blyth - 2025
Connor Vest - 2025

Backrow:
Fraser McReight - 2025
Seru Uru - 2025
Harry Wilson - 2025
Joe Brial - 2025

Scrumhalf:
Tate McDermott - 2027
Kalani Thomas - 2025

Flyhalf:
Tom Lynagh - 2025
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - 2025

Centres:
Hunter Paisami - 2026

Wings:
Suliasi Vunivalu - 2025

Fullback:

UNSIGNED:
Richie Asiata -2024
Josh Nasser - 2024
Max Craig - 2024
Trevor King - 2024
Sef Fa'agase - 2024
Peni Ravai - 2024
Massimo De Lutiis - ???
Taine Roiri - ???
Cormac Daly - 2024
Ryan Smith - 2024
Liam Wright - 2024
Connor Anderson - 2024
John Bryant - 2024
Louis Werchon - 2024
Lawson Creighton - 2024
James O'Connor - 2024
Josh Flook - 2024
Jordan Petaia - 2024
Taj Annan - ???
Isaac Henry - ???
Frankie Goldsbrough - 2024? (possible Academy)
Tim Ryan - 2024
Jock Campbell - 2024
Mac Grealy - 2024
Floyd Aubrey - ???

CONFIRMED GONE:

RUMORED GONE:

Jordan Petaia - NRL

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sucks for Henry personally to get injured in a contract year but the Reds may be able to get him for a good deal on their end... Very good prospect if he can just string a period of games together.

Aubrey gets a chance this week I guess.... Bit of pressure with how well Ryan has started and Grealy has exceeded expectations.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Following on from @Wilson's post in the 2024 thread - who're we wanting to see pulled in next year? Obviously the Rebels' situation could shake things up across all the teams, so could be plenty of movement in the market for those off contract.

Reds have really focussed on bringing younger players through the system over the last several years, as opposed to poaching from other clubs, so it'll be interesting to see whether Les sticks with this approach.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Seems like sides can't have enough quality tight 5 players in the squad. Besides Vaihu & Lancaster I reckon they will be the most sought after by all. Reds are pretty settled and deep but who would say no to Canham potentially? Good sides should always be looking at ways to improve and sharpen up. Can mean some brutal calls on current squad members are made if the right guy is available.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Following on from @Wilson's post in the 2024 thread - who're we wanting to see pulled in next year? Obviously the Rebels' situation could shake things up across all the teams, so could be plenty of movement in the market for those off contract.

Reds have really focussed on bringing younger players through the system over the last several years, as opposed to poaching from other clubs, so it'll be interesting to see whether Les sticks with this approach.
Assuming we re-sign everyone we want to keep the big changes for me would be a backup hooker, a bigger lock and probably a bit more size in the backline.

Putting the Rebels aside for a second, this is where I'd start:

Hooker: Feleti Kaitu'u. With the Force signing BPA and Dolly, and Horton signed for another year he's clearly on the outer. Form has been down from it's peak but I'd back Kiss, Hilton and Fischer to get the best out of him. Faessler has been good, but I definitely think we could upgrade our backup, who by rights should be getting 30-40 minutes most weeks. This would see either Nasser or Asiata go. I like Nasser but he's only been ok returning from injury and Asiata has been out for some time. I'd be hoping to keep Nasser, but it's not a lot between them.

Lock: It's an in demand position, so it might be tough but Ben Grant could be worth a look. I've only seen a bit of him fro the Hurricanes this year but he has looked good. Helps that he's a Brisbane boy too. Isaac Rodda another option if the Force can't keep him without a top up, but that might cost us and there'd need to be some relationship repair on both ends. Good look for the forward direction of the club if those wounds are healed. I'd be letting a back row player go here to make room, with Uru potentially shifting to cover back row more often. Anderson is probably the one who would be moved on in this case.

Back: There are options here and it really depends on who we retain, but with Vunivalu on the outer I think we want alternatives for size in our backline. Samu Kerevi is the ideal here but I don't think he's available and might be too expensive either way. Could be someone form QPR but I'm not as up on this season. I expect we might see at least one of O'Connor or Creighton go, so it would lean towards a center rather than a winger. That said Jack Maddocks might be a good left field option here, particularly if we lose Petaia and/or Campbell.

Edit: Just realised Tevita Kuridraini is playing for Seattle at the moment. Not sure how he's going but at 33 he probably still has another year or two to offer at super level. Could be a very good bench/squad option here.

Obviously the Rebels is the big question mark in all of this - Uelese/Mafi, Salakaia-Loto/Canham and Ripley or possibly Jooste are solid candidates for the above, with Daugunu a really strong option if we lose Petaia. Similarly guys like Gibbon, Eloff or Kailea could be good pickups if we lose Ravai, which definitely could happen if RA want to restrict foreign places after losing a team.

Last edited:

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Assuming everyone is fit (big ask I know) and we don't lose Petaia then I'd expect the side next year to look something like this:

1. Hodgman
2. Faesslar
3. Nonggorr
4. Smith
5. Blyth
6. Wright (cc)
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott (cc)
10. Lynagh
11. Ryan
12. Paisami
13. Flook
14. Petaia
15. Campbell
16. Nasser
17. Ravai
18. Toomaga-Allen
19. Daly/Uru
20. Bryant/Brial
21. Werchon
22. O'Connor/McLaughlin-Phillips
23. Henry/Grealy

I don't really see us picking up many Rebels players. NGL they're more needed at the Waratahs than they are up here. But if we do want to target anyone, we should target Salakai-Loto, Mafi/Uelese and Daugunu to build depth in the second row, hooker and at outside centre. Other than that, we have depth across the board in all key positions and a squad that has a decent amount of cohesion in it. For once, I'm actually feeling confident about the future.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am pretty sure Kiss said early days that he has some signings lined up for next year, with their contracts keeping them away from this year.

We haven't seen Asiata, De Lutiis (no doubt a must keep), Roiri (returning from injury - scored 3 on the weekend???), Anderson.

Asiata as you say and Anderson likely to drop off. Kaitu'u a very interesting option.

Not sure as a backrower. An OS based player? A Reece Hewat?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We’re in an interesting position here. Lock was my main point of concern but I’ve been pretty impressed with Daly and Uru has made a real fist of lock. So I’m pretty happy there. We could do with some size in the backline, but I like our centres and I’ve been impressed with both Grealy and Ryan this year. Thomas is okay but isn’t shooting the lights out - maybe you could bring in a back up half but, whoever comes in will be behind McDermott so it doesn’t make sense to me to bring someone in as a big signing. Keep working on Thomas and Werchon.

That doesn’t mean we can’t improve the squad - but firstly for me you do everything you can to retain Petaia. Then you either go big on a lock like Rodda or Hockings and/or an outside back like Koroibete or you keep investing in the younger guys coming through - maybe a powerhouse winger if there is one. Given the injury problems our centre have had you could look for a depth player there, particularly if O’Connor moves on, but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am pretty sure Kiss said early days that he has some signings lined up for next year, with their contracts keeping them away from this year.

We haven't seen Asiata, De Lutiis (no doubt a must keep), Roiri (returning from injury - scored 3 on the weekend???), Anderson.

Asiata as you say and Anderson likely to drop off. Kaitu'u a very interesting option.

Not sure as a backrower. An OS based player? A Reece Hewat?
For a backrower (if we don't sign a lock instead) Kohan Herbert and Angus Scott-Young look like good options. Depends on where they fit in the squad, particularly if we lose Wright (I hope not).

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
For a backrower (if we don't sign a lock instead) Kohan Herbert and Angus Scott-Young look like good options. Depends on where they fit in the squad, particularly if we lose Wright (I hope not).
Anyone keeping tabs on has ASY (Angus Scott-Young) been going at Northampton?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone keeping tabs on has ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) been going at Northampton?
I've only seen bits and pieces but my understanding is they love him there and he's going great in a team that is at the top of the table.

So much so that he has re-signed and might not actually be available:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)