• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Schools Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

TSS have had two relatively easy trials so far. The main run on tem now looks fairly well set but there may be one or two changes.
The forwards look absolutely solid, great performances by Jarod Butler. I can't see anyone - not even Gill dislodging him from Aussie schools.
One trial next week before the road trip to Canberra and Sydney.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St Lawries play Downlands in the curtain raiser to the S14 match this weekend if any one is going.

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
St Lawries play Downlands in the curtain raiser to the S14 match this weekend if any one is going.

That should be a half decent game.

R

rugbywhisperer

TSS are finishing off their tour of southern capitals with a few day R&R in Sydney.
Took their laundry equipment with them and on Tuesday gave St. Edmonds in Canberra a good towelling at 24 - 0. They showed great defence and their backline is just pure class.
Today they turned up against Barker and left with a a bit more confidence after an 81 (13try) - Nil escapade, again with some wonderful backline plays.
This is going to be an interesting year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Terrace played Churchie in a trial as a curtain raiser pre the Reds debacle. Both teams put on a better show, apparently, with GT winning something like 43-33

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
score was 43-38, I only saw the last 15 mins but both teams looked pretty good and evenly matched, hence the score I suppose.

GT certainly finished the stronger and pressured Chruchie into errors. Certainly some talented looking boys out there but how many of them are already signed to NRL contracts for next year I wonder?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A TEENAGE Brisbane footy star was last night at the centre of a code war and forced to make the biggest call of his life - rugby league or rugby union.
Classy playmaker Bryce Hegarty, the 16-year-old son of former Manly and Valleys utility Steve Hegarty, had been set to line up for the Norths Devils in their national ARL league under-18 finals clash against the Bulldogs on the weekend.

But the young footy prodigy, who attends renowned rugby union school Marist College, Ashgrove, has been told by school officials he must play in a rugby union trial on the same day.

It is believed powerbrokers have told the youngster he will not be considered for anything higher than Third XV this season if he opts out of the union trial.

If Hegarty opts to play for Norths it will effectively torpedo his hopes of higher rugby union honours.

Norths coach Mark Murray claimed school officials were "blackmailing" the youngster by delivering such an ultimatum.

"They are effectively blackmailing the kid and I don't think that should be the position of schools," Murray said.

"There is no black and white in this situation and everyone has to be flexible with their demands and communicate.

"This is now a no-win situation for Bryce because whatever he does he's going to be disappointing a lot of people.

"There is too much heat on these kids to make such big decisions at such a young age. It's not the first time this has happened but a lot of these things can be worked out by communication. I have left a message with the school but haven't heard back."

Hegarty is a fine young talent and it is believed he has already been sounded out by NRL clubs.

Steve Hegarty would not comment on the tug of war other than to confirm his son had been told by the school that he was expected to play in the union trial this weekend.

Marist Brothers head of sport Brendan Kiernan did not return Courier-Mail calls yesterday.

0,,6600108,00.jpg

shees, just let him play. Anywhere. Surely there was other trials with which they could determine whether he was good enough. Ashgrove is playing Terrace in the curtain raiser for the QLD v Brumbies game this weekend, so perhaps Ashgrove just want to show off his talents on that stage? If it was the only trial I could understand not picking him for 1sts or 2nds, or if he hasn't played in another trial. But if he has played, just pick him (assuming he's good enough). Loyalty pays off elsewhere. Quit the medieval banning across codes.

R

rugbywhisperer

Disagree Nod,
There has bee a lot of bwrewhaha of late regarding the kids taking an each way bet between league and union.
Finally union are getting just a little bit peeved at developing a player and then have him (or her as the case may be) trot off to league (or AFL) as soon as they leave school. And the league clubs know this and are using this form of publicity for their own cause.
Bryce is a very good player and on last years form should press for Qld Schools selection but IMO the rugby heirachy are beginning to take these affiliations into account and he could well ose that representation if he pursues the league option in addition to union.
The current NTS squads reflect this with a number of high profile players from last year not now admitted due to their league affiliations and I for one am all for it.
There are too many (IMO) kids taking this each way bet.
If they want league, take it and leave the union ranks to tjose thatwant to play union.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmm, interesting perspective RW. I am a bit distant from it all these days so probably can't comment too fairly.

Suffice to say it looks like he will play for the leaguies this weekend and there is talk that Ashgrove will let him play.

R

rugbywhisperer

Back in the day if you played rugby for a 1st Div club and even took the time to walk past a leagues club you were out, gone, banished to the forest of Drurgon where mythical creatures feasted on you including your bones and soul - well what was left of it.
Rugby clubs did not take kindly to that sort of heresy.

Status
Not open for further replies.