• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland U16 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubboo

ACGS will not have many players in these teams as a lot of their year 11 1st XV players are new to the school and are turning 17 in grade 11.

Sebastian Georgiou, Michael Gunn, Digger MacMillan, Alex West, Angus McClanchan all eligible as 3/4 played QLD u15 last year

BOC

Frank Row (1)
1. Daniel Anae - Nudgee College
2. Rob Lawless - Brisbane Boys College
3. Garreth Ryan - Padua
4. Daniel Preen - Ipswich Grammar school
5. Adam Korczyk - Brisbane State High School
6. Henry Fitzgerald - Nudgee College
7. Xavier Power - Gregory Terrace
8. Michael Gunn - Churchie
9. Jack Martin - Brisbane State High School
10. Locky O'Rourke - Gregory Terrace
11. Monty Iona - Churchie
12. Jack Tuttle - Nudgee College
13. Landon Hayes - Ipswich Grammar School
14. Alex West - Churchie
15. Mitch Third - The Southport School

16. Benroy Sala - Brisbane State High School
17. Brad Wilkins - Iona
18. Latham Takau - Ipswich Grammar School
19. Seb Georgio - Churchie
20. (Reserve Hooker)
21. Jack Heenan - Gregory Terrace
22. Reid Foran - Nudgee College

This will more than likely be majority of the team as all are in form and have had much skill playing high level rugby, these players have recently shown ability to play for qld and are not based upon reputations.

Starting team (number below is in reference to number player above)-

reasons for each player selcted are as follows:

1. Strong ball runner, great rucking, dominate scrum, strong defence
2. Strong runner, overall plays above weight and is potent
3. Breaks line often, great prop
4. Good lineout, powerful player
5. Solid defence and urgency, good lineout
6. Great pillfering skills, excells in flanker role
7. Breaks the line, fast player, great defence, game winner
8. Breaks line, dominates rucks, skillful, game winner
9. Great defence, good pass, skillful
10. Great vision, breaks line, excellent defence, unpredictable, game winner
11. Fast, Dominate defence and attack, line breaker
12. Great vision, breaks line, strong defence, dominating player, game winner
13. Strong ball runner, makes metres, good defence
14. Strong ball runner, hard to tackle, makes metres
15. Good ball return, injects into backline, Stops trys

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
3. Garreth Ryan - Padua
14. Alex West - Churchie

17. Brad Wilkins - Iona
20. (Reserve Hooker)

This will more than likely be majority of the team as all are in form and have had much skill playing high level rugby, these players have recently shown ability to play for qld and are not based upon reputations.

Best post of this entire forum. Finally someone gives justification to their arguments, well done.

R

Rubboo

@BOC
Great choice of players i couldn't choose it better myself.
But may I for your decision to start Churchie's Michael Gunn before Ipswich No.8 Latham Takau?
They're are both great footballers in their on rite playing alongside them and against on many occassion, but what was your defining reason for placing Gunn as starting No.8?

H

hatman

Tom Given for ORouke at 10. Given playing at 10 in GT Firsts & played well agianst Churches. He has good kicking game in general play & has put over 2 penalties from 45M+ in last 2 games. ORouke has not benched for 1sts & lacks the vision Given has. When Dalgleish returns from nose break he will displace ORouke in 16As at 10. Power in the GT 1sts has been shown up in defence on several occassions. In the 1sts more for the experience than expertise. Churchie 16A no7 a better option.

H

haydenmitchell

Tom Given for ORouke at 10. Given playing at 10 in GT Firsts & played well agianst Churches. He has good kicking game in general play & has put over 2 penalties from 45M+ in last 2 games. ORouke has not benched for 1sts & lacks the vision Given has. When Dalgleish returns from nose break he will displace ORouke in 16As at 10. Power in the GT 1sts has been shown up in defence on several occassions. In the 1sts more for the experience than expertise. Churchie 16A no7 a better option.

Finally somebody makes sense of this flyhalf issue, locky orourke is the third best 5/8 the gt 16's have and will make the team 2 bench at best

R

Rubboo

Thats true O'Rourke isnt the best flyhalf at Terrace with Jamesy and Tom

B

brandonk

The number 10 for qld will be Duncan Paiaaua, hes from rockhampton, emmaus college. but he was the QLD white no. 10 last year
Just thought I'd solve the no 10 crisis you guys got going on here.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I love how everyone ignores AIC. In AIC there is Garreth Ryan, Liam Picard, Tom Collins, Jon Collins from Padua and there are heaps from Marist, Lauries and Iona. Man just because you are in GPS doesn't mean you are the best players. I'm pretty sure Marist would beat almost anyone in GPS.

F

fourgreatkids

I love how everyone ignores AIC. In AIC there is Garreth Ryan, Liam Picard, Tom Collins, Jon Collins from Padua and there are heaps from Marist, Lauries and Iona. Man just because you are in GPS doesn't mean you are the best players. I'm pretty sure Marist would beat almost anyone in GPS.

put marist up against full strengt nudgee, state high, southport, churchie, grammar, ipswich and maybe terrace, i can nearly gurantee it would be by 20+. there are reasons why GPS kids are considered more, it is a tougher and stronger competition then AIC

H

hatman

put marist up against full strengt nudgee, state high, southport, churchie, grammar, ipswich and maybe terrace, i can nearly gurantee it would be by 20+. there are reasons why GPS kids are considered more, it is a tougher and stronger competition then AIC
I would like to see that. Lauries, Ashgrove & now padua have some very gifted players both in the 16s 7 opens. GPS might be a tougher comp but it does not necessarily follow it has the best players across the park.
I must admit though there is a biasness to the GPS both in this forum and the selectors. Another way of looking at it is that the best AIC players have already been 'head hunted' by the GPS schools by the time they hit 16.

C

classicgold

Na dalgleish played 12 against nudgee and o'rourke played 10, o'rourke best fly around atm, not in firsts due to trialed for halfback

BOC

Frank Row (1)
@ Rubbo and hayden Mitchell

O'Rourke is much better fly and is best fly i have seen for a while, reminds me of the 1sts xv flyhalf for grammar at the moment,
he is very explosive, great vision, and is exciting to watch,

Given and Dalgleish lack the vital skills of a flyhalf, they have bad vision, and play for themselves - seen many wasted tries by these hands,

Also Latham is on the bench as an explosive player, michael gunn has much better stamina and i would make a change at around 5 mins into the second half.

BOC

Frank Row (1)
Best post of this entire forum. Finally someone gives justification to their arguments, well done.

Thanks very much light and if other people read my post i would also like to justify latham is on bench as an impact player, and O'Rourke at fly is best choice by his skills of vision and he finds weaknesses in the opposition like the nudgee terrace 16a's game - terrace getting smashed, o'rouke at 10 runs ball to line cross filed attacking kick lands in between wing and fullback to pop into outside centres hand for an untouched try - very impressive for a losing side

The team i have chosen is the best at this current point, not who was best in grade 9 or last year

C

classicgold

I would agree with BOC i would be very surprised if the team was any other way,

N

NCjackT

3. Garreth Ryan - Padua
14. Alex West - Churchie

17. Brad Wilkins - Iona
20. (Reserve Hooker)

This is the best team posted, I would pay money to see them play,
Everybody named would break a bone before they let nsw win

And have to agree with Latham as bench impact player
And locky o'rourke as 10 - great player from 2 games I've watched this weekend

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Locky O'Rourke the GT 16A or 1st XV #10?. I was very impressed by the GT #10 in the first XV and could understand him getting chosen, but if that wasn't him who was it and is he U16?

Also not sure about Alex West as 14. He's got runs on the board but he's not playing 1st XV and the two wingers for Churchie are both grade 11. Monty Ioane is one, and I think Dean Van Heteran Swemmer is the other? not 100% sure but if he is U16 why hasn't his name been considered. I thought he was much more solid than Monty on the 3 occasions I have seen them play together.

I'd give Tuttle (IC) a good chance for GPS 1 if not QLD 1 Opens. He seems the standout in that position in the GPS comp and from what I've seen he will be hard to match. I'm not one to talk up Nudgee boys chances but he is one I was really impressed by. Perhaps expect a few more BSHS/Padua players in the team, they seem to go for the top of the table teams in selection.

C

crows1

Is Locky O'Rourke the GT 16A or 1st XV #10?. I was very impressed by the GT #10 in the first XV and could understand him getting chosen, but if that wasn't him who was it and is he U16?

I believe he's the 16A's 10. From reading around i think a lot of this talk about o'rourke is quite absurd because if he truly was better than all these other people surely he would be in the 1sts and saying he's not in the team because he trialled for halfback is a poor excuse because the coaches would pick him if he was the best player for another position anyway.

H

haydenmitchell

Thanks very much light and if other people read my post i would also like to justify latham is on bench as an impact player, and O'Rourke at fly is best choice by his skills of vision and he finds weaknesses in the opposition like the nudgee terrace 16a's game - terrace getting smashed, o'rouke at 10 runs ball to line cross filed attacking kick lands in between wing and fullback to pop into outside centres hand for an untouched try - very impressive for a losing side

The team i have chosen is the best at this current point, not who was best in grade 9 or last year

locky orourkes kick was a no look kick with a funny bounce that made it awkward for anyone to catch including the gt outside, and was primarily a lucky try. he also struggles with communication and gives substandard service too his outside players. tom given probably the most improved gt player of the 2011 season, be sure to give him a look in.

Status
Not open for further replies.