• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R12: Waratahs vs Rebels - Saturday 13 May

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It's was nice to see the Waratah's work out how to win that game. The Rebels came out strong and it looked like they were going to run away with it. Their quick transitions was really causing the Waratah's defence all kinds of issues. If Monty could catch a ball I think we might be looking at that game in a different light.

A few of the Waratah players are still not looking their best. They appear to really lack solid onballers at the moment. Gamble is less effective than last year and still looks to be finding his way back after injury. Hooper is not as effective in that element of his role. In comparison Hardwick had a great game.

Gleeson was generally well contained in this game, though I did like the little handoff he got from Vailanu. With a mobile forward pack, I'd like to see the variance continue. Some of the AU teams have really looked a little one dimensional with their forward play at times.

Lot's of work ons for both teams, but the win hopefully continues to bring some confinence to this Waratahs team. The Rebels really arn't far off. Lots to like both individually and holistically, just need that last bit of polish and smarts to get it done.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Why have the rebels re-signed foote with a 20% Win rate

Stability. A number of players have re-signed since the coaches have re-signed.

The cynic in me is saying I wonder if some of the players re-signed after the coach announcements because they are almost guaranteed a game in this average team and unlikely to get a game elsewhere.

Reactions: mst

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Waratahs were saved by the stronger set piece provided by both the starting and finishers, with the Rebels being far more dangerous with the ball-in hand especially in the first half.

Donaldson kicked well but I’m yet to see any playmaking ability. The Waratahs attack from the backs is completely reliant on individual skill rather than any cohesion or manipulation. Benny D seems like a fullback playing fly- half rather than a natural 10.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Stability. A number of players have re-signed since the coaches have re-signed.

The cynic in me is saying I wonder if some of the players re-signed after the coach announcements because they are almost guaranteed a game in this average team and unlikely to get a game elsewhere.
Signing Sampson seems to be paying off which may have provided some hope and optomisim. As or Foote, I think there is an element of not wanting to avoid the "told you so".

But agree with the not geeting games elsewhere. Hardwick baffles me. He could be something much better elsewhere but I fear he has missed the boat.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Signing Sampson seems to be paying off which may have provided some hope and optomisim. As or Foote, I think there is an element of not wanting to avoid the "told you so".

But agree with the not geeting games elsewhere. Hardwick baffles me. He could be something much better elsewhere but I fear he has missed the boat.
I think Hardwick was our best player last night. He was in our top 3 players this year with Gordon and Ili before he got injured.

Reactions: mst

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Waratahs were saved by the stronger set piece provided by both the starting and finishers, with the Rebels being far more dangerous with the ball-in hand especially in the first half.

Donaldson kicked well but I’m yet to see any playmaking ability. The Waratahs attack from the backs is completely reliant on individual skill rather than any cohesion or manipulation. Benny D seems like a fullback playing fly- half rather than a natural 10.
Donaldson had the best performance of any Waratah 10 in years. Come into form in the second half when the Rebels forwards crumbled. His kicking helped win the game. Game management and playmaking were very good. He needs to continue his form now. QC (Quade Cooper), Foley, Gordon and then Donaldson in order for RWC.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Donaldson had the best performance of any Waratah 10 in years.
Oh God you've done it now.....

**DERPUS**DERPUS**DERPUS**DERPUS**
SingleThornyGar-max-1mb.gif

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Take Hodge with you as well!! Farken useless. Oh and Damon Murphy can carry their bags.
Rebels attack was fantastic and deserved more points.
Agree the Rebels attack has been great all year. Don’t agree with you on Hodge though. He’s in the RWC squad all day as the perfect utility back who can also goal kick.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Well that was a good one for the Tahs to win, but I still feel they need to be a lot better than that. They were getting belted at the breakdown, and took 20 minutes to adjust to the speed of the game with the Rebels going wide. I initially thought the Rebs were going to put 50 on them, but a combination of Rebels mistakes, the Tahs eventually adjusting to what was going on, and the Tahs dominance at the set piece turned things around.
Gee I hope Gordon's injury isn't too bad, he just looks so bloody good, potentially our best 10 since Bernie (and probably a stronger defender). I also thought Hardwick and Canham were excellent for the Rebs, although when Canham sees the video of himself pulling that maul down right in front of the ref he's going to feel like a bit of a goose.
For the Tahs, 9 and 10 worked better than they have all season. Some of the wraps for Donaldson on here may be a bit over the top, but it's certainly his best game this year, more of that please. The forwards were dominant at the set piece, including the finishers, which was pleasing, and both Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Jorgensen are really class whenever they get the ball. Some of the Tahs line defence was heroic, and in the end that is probably what won them the game. A lot of the work at the breakdown, however, was inaccurate and lazy (I'm looking at you Will Harris).
Final comment, I am loving what Vailanu brings when he comes on, I can see why he's keeping Latu in Shute Shield.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Take Hodge with you as well!! Farken useless. Oh and Damon Murphy can carry their bags.
Rebels attack was fantastic and deserved more points.
not sure why youre blaming the murph for 3 failed catches on attack?

it was there for the rebs to take. tahs ground out the win off some duuuuumb rebs defensive decisions.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

it was there for the rebs to take. tahs ground out the win off some duuuuumb rebs defensive decisions.
I don't know about dumb defensive decisions, I reckon Ioane's three dropped balls in try-scoring positions was 21 points thrown away. That was ultimately the difference.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know about dumb defensive decisions, I reckon Ioane's three dropped balls in try-scoring positions was 21 points thrown away. That was ultimately the difference.
the 2 penalty tries with yc's, right in front of the ref. cant blame murphy for those inexcusably poor decisions.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)

I wasn’t blaming Murphy I backed up someone else’s post about soap hands Ioane on the wing. Mate I couldn’t give 2 shits about who wins the game but Murphy is just generally puss! Any game he referees is a stodge fest. Mostly because he loves blowing his whistle.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
For us to have a shit away record we would need to have a good home record. We lose every week home or away.
Keep your chin up RMan. If someone in the coach's box decides to up their D and tighten the forwards you could go from 20-50% next season.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wasn’t blaming Murphy I backed up someone else’s post about soap hands Ioane on the wing. Mate I couldn’t give 2 shits about who wins the game but Murphy is just generally puss! Any game he referees is a stodge fest. Mostly because he loves blowing his whistle.
Mrphy's a detail ref and loves the rule book. I wonder if he ever played the game. At the opposite end of the spectrum is anyone getting bored with never ending advantage?