• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R3 Reds v Chiefs, turmoil in Townsville?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Do i have to comment on every dick analogy on this place??
200.gif

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
So where does Petaia fit into that backline??
Think if they all stay fit , he will come back wearing #23.

There’s been talk by Thorn about his best position possibly being 15. Probably just a mater of time before he gets a go there. For the moment though the coaches seems pretty set on Hegarty at 15.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Talking of reserves , think it was 40-8 when Droasese chose not to pass to an unmarked Daugunu 10 metres out from the try line and go himself. Instead of scoring and making it 45-8 with a kick to come and taking another 2 minutes off the clock in the process, the ball got turned over and was the start of the Chief’s comeback.

Thrilling finish , but would have rather witnessed a complete performance by the Reds , rather than just hanging on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Extra good game Reds. Wilson continuing his excellent form, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) outstanding, McDermpott back in consideration for the No 9 spot, JOC (James O'Connor) another top game management effort, a tremendously impressive debut for Henry and Vunivalu also outstanding. Tupou unstoppable in the first half but looked to run out of puff a bit in the second half. A couple of less than stellar performers off the bench, but overall a top class effort.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Excellent all round performance by the starting 15, which is what we saw in Rugby AU, a number of our starting 15 are playing at an international standard. good to see Henry given a go at 12, I haven’t seen him play much but my gut feel was he has more to offer than Stewart, which based on last nights game appears correct. Some of the finishers well below par, surely we have a better back up option at half back , levels below what is required at super rugby. He needs to go back to club rugby and learn his trade, unfair on both the player and the team to be thrown in the deep end. Looking forward to next week for hopefully more of the same.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess the talk at half time by the panel about how the Reds would have achieved a similar first half regardless of cards and that those that used the cards as an excuse for the reds successful 1st half would be wrong came back to bite them

Seems the cards were exactly what the Reds needed to outplay them.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
I guess the talk at half time by the panel about how the Reds would have achieved a similar first half regardless of cards and that those that used the cards as an excuse for the reds successful 1st half would be wrong came back to bite them

I see it differently - the Chiefs bench was better than the Reds bench.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Not really, if old mate in 23 had thrown a pass to Daugunu it would have been 45/47 to not many and the Reds would have put 50 or 60 on the Chiefs. The Reds lost all their structure when the reserves came on and tried to keep up the globetrotter stuff that the likes of Wilson, Tupou and Vunivalu were pulling off.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A look at the stats is quite interesting.

On the one hand Wilson & ASY (Angus Scott-Young), who both struggled for post contact metres in Super Rugby AU, are suddenly making consistent metres and Wilson is finding holes again.

On the flip side ASY (Angus Scott-Young) missed 7 tackles from 16 attempts whereas in Super AU I think he was tackling at about 90% overall.

I assume it is just the pace of the game creating more space in both defensive lines.

On a related note I thought the game demonstrated the relative strength of the benches - but there were also some poor reads in defence by noted defenders as fatigue set in which helped open the door for the chiefs. Really happy with the progress of this Reds team, despite the first two rounds of Super AU, but there is no doubt, IMO, that there is a fair bit of improvement in them yet.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A look at the stats is quite interesting.

On the one hand Wilson & ASY (Angus Scott-Young), who both struggled for post contact metres in Super Rugby AU, are suddenly making consistent metres and Wilson is finding holes again.

On the flip side ASY (Angus Scott-Young) missed 7 tackles from 16 attempts whereas in Super AU I think he was tackling at about 90% overall.

I assume it is just the pace of the game creating more space in both defensive lines.

On a related note I thought the game demonstrated the relative strength of the benches - but there were also some poor reads in defence by noted defenders as fatigue set in which helped open the door for the chiefs. Really happy with the progress of this Reds team, despite the first two rounds of Super AU, but there is no doubt, IMO, that there is a fair bit of improvement in them yet.

Begs the question though: The Chiefs spent long periods in the first half playing with 13/14 players. So why did the Reds look so tired in the last 20 while the Chiefs just went up a gear? Were the Reds over-trained so that fatigue hit early? Are they just poorly conditioned or are some players playing too many minutes each week?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There have been a number of comments from players and commentators that the speed of the TT games have been significantly higher than in Super AU. It’s not surprising that players have taken time to adjust and that most teams are still struggling with that.

The question is whether the Australian teams can lift the intensity of Super AU in a season so that next year they are more on par.

I remember reading once that a couple of players who played for both Australian & NZ teams mentioned that the level of running done in the NZ teams pre-season was notably higher.

There are clearly other factors too, but while I understand the concern it is causing many, 5 weeks straight of having to play at a higher intensity should have some benefits (unfortunately, by the time the benefit really kicks in TT will be over).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And, as has been already mentioned numerous times, I do think there was a notable difference in bench quality. The Chiefs bench came on and really raised the intensity. But at least 4 of the Reds bench (Nasser, Nonggorr, Thomas and Droasese) were notable steps down. Zander is an good, honest toiler at this level but I think he was still a drop in standard from Fotuaika who I thought was very good in this game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Begs the question though: The Chiefs spent long periods in the first half playing with 13/14 players. So why did the Reds look so tired in the last 20 while the Chiefs just went up a gear? Were the Reds over-trained so that fatigue hit early? Are they just poorly conditioned or are some players playing too many minutes each week?

Liam Messam is the answer. Bloke came on and grabbed the entire team by the scruff of the neck and got them running forward.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Liam Messam is the answer. Bloke came on and grabbed the entire team by the scruff of the neck and got them running forward.

Amen Derpus, why I mentioned earlier about him being so big in the Chiefs 'Mana'. I was watching some of it again yesterday, he just threw himself at everything!