• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R3 Reds v Chiefs, turmoil in Townsville?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Liam Messam is the answer. Bloke came on and grabbed the entire team by the scruff of the neck and got them running forward.

Amen Derpus, why I mentioned earlier about him being so big in the Chiefs 'Mana'. I was watching some of it again yesterday, he just threw himself at everything!

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. The question I posed was "Why were the Reds players looking exhausted in the last 20 minutes?" The answer has to be within the Reds, not down to Liam Messam.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. The question I posed was "Why were the Reds players looking exhausted in the last 20 minutes?" The answer has to be within the Reds, not down to Liam Messam.
Sorry mate I was just going along with Derpus.
In answer to your question, I think they may have been looking nackered in last 20 minutes because they haven't been used to playing at that pace/intensity over last year or so? When it came on did their systems get stretched?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
DMac gets the usual three weeks & conveniently the Waikato Club Final is on the same weekend as the Super Rugby T-T Final so he's available for first AB Test..

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...zie-handed-threeweek-ban-for-dangerous-tackle

Loophole allowing community rugby to be used as a means of evading suspensions incurred in professional rugby needs closing IMO.

But how, though to be honest if he can't play against Fiji would that be any more important than any other game? I agree it has to be closed, but I he say was allowed to play in a club final while om suspension do you really think that fair?? Unfortunately a game has to count as a game, if I played against his team in club and he was allowed to play while he couldn't in next level up I would be gutted!
Besides that WOB, tou usually check better than that, he has been suspended up until June 19th, doesn't actually say how many games.

Rusty's Revenge

Frank Row (1)
And, as has been already mentioned numerous times, I do think there was a notable difference in bench quality. The Chiefs bench came on and really raised the intensity. But at least 4 of the Reds bench (Nasser, Nonggorr, Thomas and Droasese) were notable steps down. Zander is an good, honest toiler at this level but I think he was still a drop in standard from Fotuaika who I thought was very good in this game.

Honestly, some people will never be satisfied. The Reds won. Most of the points were scored by the Chiefs in the second half before half the Reds bench went on. They are the bench. They aren't the starters. Don't you get sick of being so negative ? Thank goodness Thorny has a big picture view and rates player development instead of appeasing cranky social media posters. Specifically, what was wrong with each of the bench players ? Clearly you think you know what you are talking about. Put your money where your mouth is. Maybe some constructive criticism might be of use; or maybe you just like pointing fingers

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Honestly, some people will never be satisfied. The Reds won. Most of the points were scored by the Chiefs in the second half before half the Reds bench went on. They are the bench. They aren't the starters. Don't you get sick of being so negative ? Thank goodness Thorny has a big picture view and rates player development instead of appeasing cranky social media posters. Specifically, what was wrong with each of the bench players ? Clearly you think you know what you are talking about. Put your money where your mouth is. Maybe some constructive criticism might be of use; or maybe you just like pointing fingers
Welcome. You might want to tone down the vibe a bit. TSR is a good guy and long term poster. Can't see much in his post that warrants such a response.
full retard.jpg

Rusty's Revenge

Frank Row (1)
Welcome. You might want to tone down the vibe a bit. TSR is a good guy and long term poster. Can't see much in his post that warrants such a response.
View attachment 12354
Aren't you sick of seeing players criticised with no evidence to support it ? I'm sorry you think it's ok to say that five players were "notable steps down" without actually specifying the issues. He is essentially saying that 5 players aren't up to the standard without explaining why. That's pure and simple defamation which is promulgated by an anonymous poster. As a Reds supporter - I'd like him to be more specific rather than just throwing mud. You're a Waratah's supporter. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from the fellow's specific opinions, if he has any valid ones, which you may want to pass on to your team. They seem to need it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Aren't you sick of seeing players criticised with no evidence to support it ? I'm sorry you think it's ok to say that five players were "notable steps down" without actually specifying the issues. He is essentially saying that 5 players aren't up to the standard without explaining why. That's pure and simple defamation which is promulgated by an anonymous poster. As a Reds supporter - I'd like him to be more specific rather than just throwing mud. You're a Waratah's supporter. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from the fellow's specific opinions, if he has any valid ones, which you may want to pass on to your team. They seem to need it.
How much more specific than "they were a step down from those they replaced" does one need to be? You may want to look up "defamation" too.
And the whole "You're a Waratahs supporter so I'll use that to get at you" routine is some entry-level stuff.
I'd suggest you get an avatar but you may not need one.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How much more specific than "they were a step down from those they replaced" does one need to be? You may want to look up "defamation" too.
And the whole "You're a Waratahs supporter so I'll use that to get at you" routine is some entry-level stuff.
I'd suggest you get an avatar but you may not need one.

I think the defamation was the bit where he called you a Waratahs supporter, you really shouldn't cop that sort of slander.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m sorry, albeit a bit confused, you’ve found my post so offensive. I do think you have perhaps missed the context though. I was responding to the query from Hawko as to the reason the Reds leaked points in the last 25 minutes. I think Thorn is great. What in my post made you think I expect him to try and appease me?? Actually - what in my post made you think I was cranky? The very first post I put up after the game was that I was ecstatic- and I was.

I find it highly unlikely that Nonggorr, Thomas, Nasser or Droasese - 4 guys who are basically starting out - would be offended by the critique that they are a step down, at this point of their career, to 4 guys who are either capped test players or Wallaby squad members. Zander v Fotuaika is a closer run thing, but I’ve expressed my admiration plenty of times on here on what Dane Zander has achieved so far. I still thought Fotuaika played better in the weekend and I don’t really think that’s an offensive comment to make.

And not one that I need to be a high level coach to hold, I would have thought. But if that is your criteria then, sure, my rugby CV and playing history is not one that would make anyone sit up and take notice - but I didn’t write my post as an insightful piece of post game analysis but as an amateur observation on a rugby blog page. If that means you have no respect for me .... well, I guess I’ll get by. I’m not even going to try to do any detailed analysis/comparison on the various players - I doubt anyone would bother to read it - but do I really need one to explain why Nonggorr is a step down from Tupou or Thomas a step down from McDermott?

Anyway - I think you’ve completely misinterpreted the intent of my post and some of your observations don’t actually reflect what I posted or my thoughts - but good luck to you. You’re clearly a passionate Reds man. Glad you were happy with the win (as was I). Hopefully on Friday night we will both be ecstatic again.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In fairness in the oost match conference was very critical of his ‘finishers’ not doing the job (and game examples such as having a 2 man overlap and not using it etc). Great for the win but thorn always looking for the complete performance and I for one agree that the finishers for the reds were sub par but the starters generally were superb and especially in the first half.

I also said whilst win is fab they missed the chance to make a statement and then noted Wright and thorn both said the same thing.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Finally got a chance to rewatch. A funny game indeed. Geez there were moments of pure dross but crickey there were glimpses of the rugby we've been waiting for from QLD. Some absolute sublime passages of play.

We still need to try and curb some exuberance but when you're 30 odd points up it is hard. I agree with the consensus we need to beef up the bench a bit & we have yet to put in a complete 80 min performance. It will come.

For me Fraser has surpassed the skipper and that creates real problems because ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is too good a player to warm the bench each week. Uru as well will be itching to start each week. A good problem to have in the short term I guess.

Anyway I am stoked with the win a tiny bit annoyed we took the foot off the throat but you know what it's a bloody great feeling to the beat the kiwis.

Bring on those evil orcs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fraser has been dropped this week
Yeah - but reading Thorn’s comments he doesn’t sound unhappy with him. Just challenging him to improve a couple of things. Thorn seems to trade heavily in building depth in the squad and backing guys in the wider squad, or at least being prepared to give them opportunities. It seems he’s handed one to Wallis this week to show his wears. I also note in some of comments about McReight Thorn made reference to the benefit Wilson got out of being given a spell.

It seems to me similiar to what he did with McDermott last year - not unhappy with him, but still happy to give him and break and a couple of work ons to challenges him to come back a better player. It’ll be interest if he reverts to McReight next week or sticks with Wright & ASY (Angus Scott-Young).