• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R7: Waratahs vs Sunwolves - Friday 29 March @ Newcastle

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
what a shemozzle.

After the worrying middle 40 mins last week, NSW upped the ante put in another dire 60 odd minutes this week.

Some of the NSW defence was atrocious. KB (Kurtley Beale) dear oh dear. He was definitely being targeted we cannot have this at test level.

Skill levels again not up to standard, this is a worrying trend all Aus teams have displayed this year.

NSW continue to let themselves down with poor execution and giving away dumb penalties. Even the skipper in the dying minutes, gave away an absolute shocker.

Having said that full credit to the sunwolves, they were the better team, were hungry and never gave in. Their halfback looked in a different league to Phipps in particular. Tony Brown doing great things with these guys.

EDIT. Mack Mason career almost certainly over. He must regret signing with NSW big time. Bench warming for 3 years with zero game time, no wonder he had an absolute barry.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cheika said they aren't being rested, they are being set specific tasks/workload not possible during a game week.

Hmm, you realise that the whole team had a "rest" aka a bye on the weekend of the 2nd March and the whole team have another "rest" coming up on the weekend of the 13 April when another bye occurs? Obviously such specific tasks can't be done in these weeks? And the competition has only been going for 6 weeks.

As if the whole super rugby concept as a professional sporting competition isn't already struggling for credibility we now have this.

And we look across to the NRL and AFL where the athletes apparently have no need of such "rest" or whatever euphemism you want to give it, so that they "can be set specific tasks/workload".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hmm, you realise that the whole team had a "rest" aka a bye on the weekend of the 2nd March and the whole team have another "rest" coming up on the weekend of the 13 April when another bye occurs? Obviously such specific tasks can't be done in these weeks? And the competition has only been going for 6 weeks.

As if the whole super rugby concept as a professional sporting competition isn't already struggling for credibility we now have this.

And we look across to the NRL and AFL where the athletes apparently have no need of such "rest" or whatever euphemism you want to give it, so that they "can be set specific tasks/workload".
Stop your whining mate.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Cheika said they aren't being rested, they are being set specific tasks/workload not possible during a game week.

I’m actually not against this concept, reality is during the season players won’t make strength gains and for some even their fitness drops. Due to the need to manage injuries and taper workloads leading up games, players are usually at peak health towards the start of the season, and plateau or drop as the season carries on.

If they are managing their training loads in order to improve their s&c so they can peak towards the RWC then I see merit towards the idea, it’s not ideal for super rugby which is where we need to weigh up whether it’s worth it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Point me to the World Cup those codes have that actually is relevant.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
RL has State of Origin , they get a game off the weekend before it , not 6 months out.
That’s because they play it on a Wednesday night. They also get to opt out the weekend after FWIW. It’s a completely different and irrelevant scenario. It’s for one game that clashes with their regular schedule.

I’m not for or against it, the all blacks do it though so I’m thinking there might be some some science - or even some success - for doing it

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
RWC has four pool games , of which two will be tough. Then assuming you make it all the way through to the big dance, you play three tough games in three weeks . So maybe five tough games of footy in seven to eight weeks IF you go all the way.

Reckon if you suggested to any seasoned NRL player that that is about as tough an assignment as it gets, they would piss themselves laughing. But then again they are “seasoned” .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NRL and AFL have 4 month off- seasons..

Rugby Union season in Oz starts earlier and finishes later, there are differences between the codes.

They also have a significantly less travel burden, travel may not be work, but it does impact on recovery

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Spring tours happen in RL too , as do world club challenges .

Get your point about travel, would still like to understand the science behind resting players 6 months out from a tournament where you are expected to be at the top of your game for 5 games tops .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Context please QH, you conveniently left out the rest of my post to fit your agenda.

No, I'm following forum rules and only copying the part of the original post which is relevant to my reply.

See rule 5

5. Don't overuse the quote function. Usually it is quite clear what you are responding to. If you do use the quote function, edit out irrelevant text, leaving just the bit you are responding to. This helps make the forum tidier and the pages load more quickly.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Spring tours happen in RL too , as do world club challenges .

Get your point about travel, would still like to understand the science behind resting players 6 months out from a tournament where you are expected to be at the top of your game for 5 games tops .

I'll bet there is none. The idea of having a weekend off in March to help prepare for a tournament in October/November is bonkers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Point me to the World Cup those codes have that actually is relevant.

They have big end of season games at the end of September/early October, which are about 2 weeks before the start of RWC, which starts mid-October.

League and AFL finals series games are just as intense as RWC games - in fact more intense as there is a finals intensity game 4 weeks in a row. RWC has one tough pool game for the top tier countries, maybe a second competitive game and a couple of walkovers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NRL and AFL have 4 month off- seasons..

Rugby Union season in Oz starts earlier and finishes later, there are differences between the codes.

They also have a significantly less travel burden, travel may not be work, but it does impact on recovery

Not really, they each have high intensity training blocs for 6 weeks from the start of November until just before Christmas. They resume full training mid-January for trials in February or pre-season competition in AFL.

You're dreaming if you think either code has 4 month off-seasons where no heavy training and heavy contact occur.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not really, they each have high intensity training blocs for 6 weeks from the start of November until just before Christmas. They resume full training mid-January for trials in February or pre-season competition in AFL.

You're dreaming if you think either code has 4 month off-seasons where no heavy training and heavy contact occur.

you're dreaming if you think I said that off-season means "no heavy training and heavy contact occur"

you're also dreaming if you think that the NRL/AFL off-season doesn't allow for those players to have their loads and conditioning managed better that what is allowed for in rugby unions off-season window.

It's silly to make direct comparisons between the codes in that regard because they vary significantly in how their seasons are structured, both by travel and duration.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No, I'm following forum rules and only copying the part of the original post which is relevant to my reply.

See rule 5

5. Don't overuse the quote function. Usually it is quite clear what you are responding to. If you do use the quote function, edit out irrelevant text, leaving just the bit you are responding to. This helps make the forum tidier and the pages load more quickly.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/
Haha. My post wasn’t very long and as I said you omitted most of it so that it fitted your agenda. You’re normally better than that but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about players being rested in a World Cup year, an opinion that is yours only.