• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rays v Rams — Sun 28th Sept @ Brookvale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
with the ref calling the feed it becomes a little difficult, that'd be why we sometimes see the ball sit in the tunnel and the dominant scrum push over. If the Hooker could call the feed with the hand tap he would be ready for that rake and channel.

Another reason to hate the ref calling the scrum feed. Bloody IRB (again). Although it should still be possible - I notice that Lucas taps the ball on the hooker hand prior to feeding.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
with the ref calling the feed it becomes a little difficult, that'd be why we sometimes see the ball sit in the tunnel and the dominant scrum push over. If the Hooker could call the feed with the hand tap he would be ready for that rake and channel.

some halves now do signal the feed. Ref calls it, half waits, taps the loosehead and feeds

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
some halves now do signal the feed. Ref calls it, half waits, taps the loosehead and feeds

Taps the hookers hand with the ball and says it's coming regardless - and this could put un-required pressure/s which could result in injury if he strikes when not balance & hence we see it sitting in the tunnel sometimes.
Go back to hooker tapping and striking - if he takes to long free kick.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't even think the ref calling it is much of an issue - the opposing halfback or flanker (and even THP if he can breathe) is going to see the ball come in and prep the push.

I've played all three front row positions, but mostly at loosehead. When you talk to the older hookers, the big difference is that no-one really hooks that much any more. Gotta remember that hooking wasn't even something a lot of the current professionals ever learned, because the ball was barely ever fed straight and you'd just do your best to hold or push over it.

Now, when you have to hook, your opposing rake is a third prop and its effectively 7 versus 8 on your own feed. The fact that you control the timing is largely mitigated.

The Rays' problem on the weekend was their starting THP was basically exhausted after the first few minutes, and you were packing against the Eastwood starting T5 + Holloway. Tough gig to try and break down that combination as well as a guy who is pretty big and pretty strong for a halfling (part flanker, part lock).

When your reserve props came on they seemed to have trouble getting up to speed, and it was only when Lolohea came in that the Rams lost a little dominance. Based on that, I'm giving applause quietly to Gillespie, who also had a pretty game in the open.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't even think the ref calling it is much of an issue - the opposing halfback or flanker (and even THP if he can breathe) is going to see the ball come in and prep the push.

I've played all three front row positions, but mostly at loosehead. When you talk to the older hookers, the big difference is that no-one really hooks that much any more. Gotta remember that hooking wasn't even something a lot of the current professionals ever learned, because the ball was barely ever fed straight and you'd just do your best to hold or push over it.

Now, when you have to hook, your opposing rake is a third prop and its effectively 7 versus 8 on your own feed. The fact that you control the timing is largely mitigated.

The Rays' problem on the weekend was their starting THP was basically exhausted after the first few minutes, and you were packing against the Eastwood starting T5 + Holloway. Tough gig to try and break down that combination as well as a guy who is pretty big and pretty strong for a halfling (part flanker, part lock).

When your reserve props came on they seemed to have trouble getting up to speed, and it was only when Lolohea came in that the Rams lost a little dominance. Based on that, I'm giving applause quietly to Gillespie, who also had a pretty game in the open.

Exactly.
and with the hooker calling hand tap strike similtaneously there is that second were you could get the channel one ball when playing against a dominant scrum. Whilst the THP, and Flanker can call the feed delivery by the time they've called it the ball is raked back.

But that is practice and as you say - they havent hooked for the ball in years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most hookers just stick their left foot out to heel it back.

Back in the day they used their right foot, but scrums packed higher then too. If you tried to hook "properly" now, you'd better have a rubber neck or you're going to pass out.

Best way is to do what the Argies do - chuck it down the middle, then push the opposition off the ball

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Most hookers just stick their left foot out to heel it back.

Back in the day they used their right foot, but scrums packed higher then too. If you tried to hook "properly" now, you'd better have a rubber neck or you're going to pass out.

Best way is to do what the Argies do - chuck it down the middle, then push the opposition off the ball

Ah back in the day - yeah remember the height of some of the hookers though - Eddie Jones, McBain, Lawton was the odd one out.

I think the hooker should go back to tapping, and a good one now may even jag a few real tight heads.

Height, this new engagement has risen the height of impact and may not need a rubber neck

Status
Not open for further replies.