• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
As frustrating as they can be to watch I have a real soft spot for the Scots. They are my favorate 6 Nations team.

They always look like they know what they want to achieve but their basic skills are dreadful. I hope they sort it out because when they do I think they are more than capable of playing some real entertaining rugby.
Visser will make a difference to Scotland, if they can get hold of the ball because he is a proper talent, big, fast and skillful.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Did you read my post drunk? I commended NZ for not making a fuss about the extent to which the squad were struck down by the noro virus!!! Have you had it by the Way???? I can think of plenty of teams that would have made the mother of all fusses if nearly the entire squad, the rumour was all bar 2 of the whole squad and management combined, had been puking and shitting through the eye of a needle all week before a test match, that NZ DID NOT , I repeat DID NOT, is greatly to their credit!! Honestly you try and pay someone a compliment and you just wind up being abused!?! Probably the reason why I didn't post on here for six months.

I think AC's point was that the english did actually play well and it was a case of credit where credits due notwithstanding a long test schedule and the nasty virus taking the edge off the ABs.

England's problem seems to be they occasionally pull out a great game, then withdrew into kludge rugby for years ( and hopefully that continues!) - my 2cents and say it as shouldn't with the kind of rugby the Wallabies have been playing lately ;)

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Visser will make a difference to Scotland, if they can get hold of the ball because he is a proper talent, big, fast and skillful.
Visser is a decent player and can cause defences problems but can cost just as many also needs to improve defence and tackling but we have a young squad and are moving in right direction with the squad that has been picked our back three of visser maitland and Hogg looks good
We lack a really good hooker and stand off but I reckon we have a chance to beat Italy and either Ireland or wales this year but just beating Italy will do me for this year after last years campaign

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So, as always, it could go to England, France, Ireland or Wales with Scotland and Italy improving throughout the competition and giving someone a scare, maybe getting a scalp.

If I had to go off of EOYT form alone, it would be France > Ireland > England > Wales

If anyone is getting a scalp, it's Italy v Wales. Italy has been improving a lot over the last two years.

What is it about Wales and only performing against Northerners? They're the exact opposite of the Argies, who can compete with anyone they play. France is about as reliable as Quade Cooper's goal kicking ability. England has one or two good games in them then goes home for a drink. Ireland has two modes: Let's be the best in the world and losing by less than 50 is good enough.

The strength of the single malts is their loose play and they're chaotic backline. A team not ready for that is screwed. Maybe England in the first game will struggle with that.
Pasta power is really good off the set piece, especially their scrum, but 10 minutes in loose play and you'll find their forwards taking drop goals. Hopefully they can find a good strategy and stick with it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Rumoured Ireland team, 1 Healy, 2 Best, 3 Ross, 4 O'Callaghan, 5 Ryan, 6 O'Mahony, 7 O'Brien, 8 Heaslip, 9 Murray, 10 Sexton, 11 Zebo, 12 D'Arcy, 13 BOD, 14 Earls, 15 Kearney.

16 Cronin, 17 Kilcoyne, 18 Bent, 19 McCarthy, 20 Henry, 21 Reddan, 22 ROG, 23 Gilroy. Crazy to have ROG on the bench IMHO, he shouldn't be starting for Munster. Bent is a major worry as he hasn't looked up to it but I am hoping that having the power of DOC and McCarthy behind him will improve his scrummaging. Wouldn't have Reddan in the squad either, Boss is a better option but none of them are within a country mile of Murray who I think is going to (sadly) end up being the Lions 9 in the summer.Aside from that there is some serious impact on that bench if Kidney ever bothers to use it properly.

Interesting battle will be Adam Jones versus Cian Healy, Healy is a very firm favorite to be the Lions 1 and it will be between Jones and Cole for the Tight head side. Wales have got major issues with injuries in the second row so that should be an area of Irish strength in spite of O'Connell's absence. I think I would have started Henry against Wales especially as they might well be playing Tipuric at 7 and Warburton 6 but obviously we are going to try and out muscle them. Pikey Phillips against Murray should be interesting, they are very similar players although Murray is slightly smaller but also considerably quicker; Phillips has been in poor form whereas Murray has been in great form , should be interesting. Sexton will have plenty to prove after becoming the highest paid player in the world, he is a lad that handles expectation well but he will want to slot his first kick to get himself into the game. The centres will be a battle of the fast feet and guile of D'Arcy and BOD against the bullocking runs of Roberts and Davies, D'Arcy has been in very good form this season and we will be keeping our fingers crossed that BOD finds some match fitness after being out for so long. The battle of the back three will be fascinating!! The men children North and Cuthbert up against Zebo and the Earl, for any of you who haven't seen him yet, Zebo is a fantastically exciting talent. The Full back battle will be interesting as well with Halfpenny and Kearney pushing hard for the lions.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would like to see Gilroy start with Earls on the bench as cover for the back line. Glad Andrew Trimble is finally gone from the international seen, think 49 test caps was about 40 to many in my opinion.

The match ups for the Lions is quite interesting:

Kearney vs Halfpenny
Phillips vs Murray
Sexton vs Phiestland
North vs Zebo
Cuthbert vs Earls

and than both back rows with a lot to prove.

Big game for BOD, think 50 minutes with Earls replacing him in the second half is all that will be asked of him.

I think O'Gara should announce his international retirement before Ireland v England and have that as his send off.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scotland team to play England, big news is Sean Maitland making his debut:

Scotland team to play England: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh), Tim Visser (Edinburgh), Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Kelly Brown (Saracens) captain, Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier).

Substitutes: Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), David Denton (Edinburgh), Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors), Max Evans (Castres)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Actual Ireland squad, 1, Healy. 2, Best. 3, Ross. 4, McCarthy. 5, Ryan. 6, POM. 7, SOB. 8. Heaslip. 9, Murray. 10, Sexton. 11, Gilroy. 12, D'Arcy. 13, BOD. 14, Zebo. 15, Kearney. 16, Cronin. 17, Kilcoyne. 18, Fitzpatrick. 19, Henry. 20, DOC. 21, Reddan. 22, ROG. 23, Earls.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Does home and away make much of a difference in the 6 N?

Its an interesting draw for Ireland. 3 away games and 2 at home. The two at home look likely to be their hardest matches though as they are France and England.

England has 3 at home and 2 away. Wales and Ireland are the away games.

Tough draw for France. 2 at home, 3 away. England, Ireland and Italy on the road.

Wales gets 2 home and 3 away. France, Scotland and Italy.

A slight edge to Ireland perhaps with their hardest games being in front of their rabid fans?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Does home and away make much of a difference in the 6 N?

Its an interesting draw for Ireland. 3 away games and 2 at home. The two at home look likely to be their hardest matches though as they are France and England.

England has 3 at home and 2 away. Wales and Ireland are the away games.

Tough draw for France. 2 at home, 3 away. England, Ireland and Italy on the road.

Wales gets 2 home and 3 away. France, Scotland and Italy.

A slight edge to Ireland perhaps with their hardest games being in front of their rabid fans?
The fans in the new stadium are not quite as rabid as in the old days, with money tight a lot of people are saving their money to support their province on the road. However I should think there will be some atmosphere for England and France however. The home and away obviously alternates so odd years tend to favour Ireland especially as the record in Paris is terrible although the record in Twickers is not so shabby.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Will be interesting to see the Maitland/Visser combos on the wing for Scotland.

Hopefully some tries. Can't see Scotland winning though. Haven't won at Twickers since 1983.

Oh and Forza Italia.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Will be interesting to see the Maitland/Visser combos on the wing for Scotland.

Hopefully some tries. Can't see Scotland winning though. Haven't won at Twickers since 1983.

Oh and Forza Italia.
Would have said that about Scotland beating the Wallabies, don't be surprised if they cause the upset.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
First 20 minutes are key for Ireland, if we get more than a score ahead Wales have shown in the past they aren't great at chasing games. Murray is the key if he moves the ball quickly and runs with purpose a la Argentina in November we could run them off their feet.

First time in a while Scotland have a couple of decent outside backs, if England revert to their usual dross and kick ball away Visser and the Kilted Kiwi could have a big say in the result

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Would have said that about Scotland beating the Wallabies, don't be surprised if they cause the upset.
+1 I just have an inkling of a feeling they will run England very close on saturday. Some of this England team believe the hype about themselves and they are lacking someone of the stature of Johnson to keep a lid on it. Any squad containing 'the brand' Haskell and 'spit or swallow' Ashton is going to be open to suggestions they are a bunch of arrogant tw*ts. A lot of England's play is dependent on 'can't pass, won't pass' Tuilagi and he is absent on saturday. And Corbesiero is a massive loss, completely illegal as he is, because Marler is not as good a 'scrummager' and is also another cnut who is decidedly easy to wind up. Factor in Rolland reffing (he takes no shit regardless of where the game is being played) and England's disciplinary issues could hurray back to haunt them.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
+1 I just have an inkling of a feeling they will run England very close on saturday. Some of this England team believe the hype about themselves and they are lacking someone of the stature of Johnson to keep a lid on it. Any squad containing 'the brand' Haskell and 'spit or swallow' Ashton is going to be open to suggestions they are a bunch of arrogant tw*ts. A lot of England's play is dependent on 'can't pass, won't pass' Tuilagi and he is absent on saturday. And Corbesiero is a massive loss, completely illegal as he is, because Marler is not as good a 'scrummager' and is also another cnut who is decidedly easy to wind up. Factor in Rolland reffing (he takes no shit regardless of where the game is being played) and England's disciplinary issues could hurray back to haunt them.

The atmosphere around England is very like when they hammered the Wallabies in 2010, Ashton and like talking themselves up from the moment on and they never came close to hitting the same level again. In a strange way I wouldn't be shocked if Lancaster almost wishes they didn't beat BNZ so comfortably. If Scotland hold their nerve and their kicker nails everything they could sneak it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did you read my post drunk? I commended NZ for not making a fuss about the extent to which the squad were struck down by the noro virus!!! Have you had it by the Way???? I can think of plenty of teams that would have made the mother of all fusses if nearly the entire squad, the rumour was all bar 2 of the whole squad and management combined, had been puking and shitting through the eye of a needle all week before a test match, that NZ DID NOT , I repeat DID NOT, is greatly to their credit!! Honestly you try and pay someone a compliment and you just wind up being abused!?! Probably the reason why I didn't post on here for six months.

Apologies if you took that as abuse Paddy, but I think there is always embellishment about England and far too much post the AB win.

England deserved the win and deserve the credit for the way they played. Sure the timing of the virus wasn't great, but there were still 15 AB players selected fit to play a test or else they shouldn't have been out there. Players from all over the world go into test matches not 100% that's just part of it and it doesn't make England's test win and performance any less than what it was - a good ol' whipping.

Not sure whether I've experienced such virus' is relevant to the discussion :)

Disclaimer: England are my 6Ns team and I'll be cheering them on this weekend despite the former Sader and Cantab winger getting his test debut for the Scots. Will have a quiet cheer if Maitland scores a consolation try.....

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Apologies if you took that as abuse Paddy, but I think there is always embellishment about England and far too much post the AB win.

England deserved the win and deserve the credit for the way they played. Sure the timing of the virus wasn't great, but there were still 15 AB players selected fit to play a test or else they shouldn't have been out there. Players from all over the world go into test matches not 100% that's just part of it and it doesn't make England's test win and performance any less than what it was - a good ol' whipping.

Not sure whether I've experienced such virus' is relevant to the discussion :)

Disclaimer: England are my 6Ns team and I'll be cheering them on this weekend despite the former Sader and Cantab winger getting his test debut for the Scots. Will have a quiet cheer if Maitland scores a consolation try...
My point really is that the hype machine around English rugby is even more mental than when Ashton scored that try against a nackered Aus in 2010. JSRF10 is not a million miles wide of the mark in that Lancaster, who is a top fella and just what England needs will be desperate to keep a lid on all the hot air because he knows that it can often set England up for a fall because they stop working. It is worth bearing in mind that even the England team of Johnson, Dallaglio, Hill, Wilkinson etc kept getting knocked over at the final hurdle in attempting to win the GS until that display in Dublin in 2003.

Rumours coming out of wales are that Ryan Jones is not fit nor Ian Gough so wales are going to have to play Kohn who has done a tubby Waldrom and just discovered he is Welsh. He is a fecking great lump 22 stone etc which is great scrumwise but jebus he is a big man to get in the air in the lineout. Wales could have only two jumpers in the lineout and Donnacha Ryan is developing quite a reputation for wrecking opposition lineouts so that could be an area of advantage for Ireland although Adam Jones with Kohn behind him will give them the advantage in the scrum. Being mischievous, might the Welsh put in a request to Uncle Deccie to keep their blessed roof open to the elements? Wales had nearly as many injury issues last year and won in Dublin although Ireland did play like a bag of spanners, so Wales' favourite tag is very well deserved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.