• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC4 - Australia v Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, no one seemed very happy with the game against South Africa, even though we had half our best team out. So how do we expect to go this Saturday. Will Pocock, Folau and Coleman be back? Will it make a difference?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock always makes a huge difference to the team..........

The others will be an improvement but I don't think they'll provide much dramatic change..........

In fact, I feel like Coleman's grip on being our first choice lock is tenuous at best.

Still, I'd return him to the starting lineup to partner with Arnold, and have Rodda come off the bench.

Anyways, if all fit I wouldn't make too many changes........ and although Cheika is going to rerun the Beale/To'omua combination I would reverse the jersey numbers.

Korobeite and Maddocks haven't been very good and I would give Banks his first start.

Tupou might be worth starting too.........

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pocock always makes a huge difference to the team....

The others will be an improvement but I don't think they'll provide much dramatic change....

In fact, I feel like Coleman's grip on being our first choice lock is tenuous at best.

Still, I'd return him to the starting lineup to partner with Arnold, and have Rodda come off the bench.

Anyways, if all fit I wouldn't make too many changes.... and although Cheika is going to rerun the Beale/To'omua combination I would reverse the jersey numbers.

Korobeite and Maddocks haven't been very good and I would give Banks his first start.

Tupou might be worth starting too...

No room for Les Makin?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With you on Coleman, he's been a ways off his best. Worth persisting with another game or two as the upside is massive, hopefully the new baby gets him back to his best. Has worked for others in the past.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Tupou will be a doubtful starter against the Argies. Even if passed fit, I think he should be rested for this game to give his neck time to get over the pounding it took on the weekend.

Poey straight back in if fit, but the back row should then be Tui, Pocock, Samu (or Timu). And yes, that will be a significant improvement.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, no one seemed very happy with the game against South Africa, even though we had half our best team out. So how do we expect to go this Saturday. Will Pocock, Folau and Coleman be back? Will it make a difference?

Pocock aside, there are many on these threads who think our team is better with that half of the team out.;)

If fit, I'm sure that Pocock and Folau will come back in and most likely Coleman.

Who goes out and where people play (particularly in the backs) are slightly more difficult to predict.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Says a lot that the saffa thread is receiving more attention and posts than the upcoming bargies game on the weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Says a lot that the saffa thread is receiving more attention and posts than the upcoming bargies game on the weekend.

I'm not sure there's that much to say in advance of the test.

I think the team will be largely the same except with Folau, Pocock and Coleman returning and Samu, Rodda and Maddocks dropping back to the bench.

Hanigan, Banks and Simmons to drop out of the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure there's that much to say in advance of the test.

I think the team will be largely the same except with Folau, Pocock and Coleman returning and Samu, Rodda and Maddocks dropping back to the bench.

Hanigan, Banks and Simmons to drop out of the 23.
If Tupou is fit he should start. He was crucial last match. He should have more than 20 minutes to make an impression.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If Tupou is fit he should start. He was crucial last match. He should have more than 20 minutes to make an impression.
35 mins on the weekend!

I don't mind the tactic we're starting to see where front row is replaced at 30-35 mins and then re-replaced at 70-75 mins so we have fresh players at the end of each half.

Goes against the spirit of the game - but if the rules allow it......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
35 mins on the weekend!

I don't mind the tactic we're starting to see where front row is replaced at 30-35 mins and then re-replaced at 70-75 mins so we have fresh players at the end of each half.

Goes against the spirit of the game - but if the rules allow it..

Was it entirely intentional though?

Didn't it mean that Joe Powell couldn't get on because we'd already made all our substitutions and we could only finish with 15 players because an HIA was needed at the end rather than an injury replacement?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Was it entirely intentional though?

Didn't it mean that Joe Powell couldn't get on because we'd already made all our substitutions and we could only finish with 15 players because an HIA was needed at the end rather than an injury replacement?
Hodge replaced Koro at 75mins after TPN replaced FF (Folau Fainga'a) at 71 mins so there was at least an opportunity to get Powell on.

We made 10 substitutions in total including the HIAs (and blood?)

I'm guessing only the staff knows how genuine all of those replacements were.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge replaced Koro at 75mins after TPN replaced FF (Folau Fainga'a) at 71 mins so there was at least an opportunity to get Powell on.

We made 10 substitutions in total including the HIAs (and blood?)

I'm guessing only the staff knows how genuine all of those replacements were.

I'd need to rewatch it to see the reasonings of the last two.

TPN replacing FF (Folau Fainga'a) would have counted as a substitution and then my thinking is that Hodge can't get back on for Koroibete or Hanigan for Arnold unless they were blood/HIA.

By that point Powell could have only got on for Genia if he'd had a blood/HIA issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also think Phipps will be straight back in for Powell assuming his ribs are now right.

TPN could get swapped out but it would be surprising to see him miss the 23 seeing as he was brought back from the UK.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Arnold came off again for an HIA after coming back on for Rodda at 68mins after his initial assessment, there's some serious questions that need to be asked..

Here's what I think it is.

1. 34' TPN off, FF (Folau Fainga'a) on
2. 42' Rodda off, Simmons on (Rodda stays off > 15 minutes with his dislocated finger so this is a permanent replacement, not blood)
3. 48' AAA off, Tupou on
HIA 59' Arnold off, Rodda on
4. 62' Maddocks off, Foley on
HIA return 68' Arnold on Rodda off
5. 69' Hodge off, Banks on
6. 70' Robertson on, Sio off
7. 72' FF (Folau Fainga'a) off, TPN on
8. 76' Koro off, Hodge on
9. Arnold off, Hanigan on (Arnold had a back or leg injury)

I genuinely can't work out how they were allowed to bring Hodge back on. Hodge going off certainly seemed tactical and you are only meant to be able to bring on a tactically replaced player for an HIA/blood/foul play injury and Koroibete didn't appear to be any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.