• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC5: Springbokke vs Wallabies @ PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Paying him out though is just a cost of business, next year is a big year and a year where revenue should be at its greatest due to sponsors wanting international exposure. Just pay him out and be done with it.

At the World Cup your jerseys carry no sponsorship, its a requirement that the sponsors of the tournament itself are the priority. All well and good to pay him out, but the problems Australian Rugby are experiencing have been 2 decades in the making, can't be all Michael Cheika's fault.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lots of talk of not being able to afford to pay out Cheika, the payments are already budgeted for and we assume we have to pay the same amount for a new coach.

I am sure there are coaches who would love the honor of coaching the Wallabies at a drastically reduced fee just to prove they have what it takes.

Paying him out though is just a cost of business, next year is a big year and a year where revenue should be at its greatest due to sponsors wanting international exposure. Just pay him out and be done with it.

RA and the southern hemisphere unions actually take a financial hit in RWC years as there's no inbound June/July tour and a shortened TRC.

For example revenue in 2015 dropped by $19.5 million from 2014. See page 14 of the attached financial report (at the end of the annual report)

https://issuu.com/australianrugbyunion/docs/aru_web?e=24291087/34741796

I seriously doubt that in the professional sporting environment any worthy candidate would do it for less than they were worth. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Cheikas not in it for the money he says. Just for the wallabies he says.
Id like to see him walk that fn walk and tell RA that if they want to run him off he'll forfeit getting paid out.
I'd think a whole lot more of him if that happened

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Cheika is testing players in different positions. Beale at 10 is an option he may be forced into next year. Giving his locks ample exposure is him trying to create depth (an outsider's opinion).

Still, I'm not sure what he is trying to achieve with the back row.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From Paul Cully:

The statistics will say the Wallabies' lineout improved, albeit off a low base, but in reality it never looked assured.

To the naked eye, Folau Fainga'a's throwing looked fine but the issue seemed to be that the Springboks – Eben Etzebeth in particular – was reading the play.

We have to be a little bit careful here – the Springboks, All Blacks and Argentina all had their issues this weekend – but there is no doubt that there is a fundamental issue with the Wallabies' lineout.
It has been picked apart by opposition analysts all year, which is a hugely disappointing outcome given that three of the four Australian Super Rugby franchises were operating at 87.1 per cent or higher.
For all the flak the Super Rugby franchises cop for not preparing players well for the Wallabies, in this case there has been a disconnect between what they do efficiently and how the Wallabies have performed.
This has been a constant problem throughout Cheika's tenure............. we've generally had two of the best lineout teams in Super Rugby in the Reds and the Brumbies, and even when those key lineout players have featured in the Wallabies it still failed to function.

We could have Keith Wood, John Eales, Victor Matfield and Ben Mowen in the team and we would still throw the ball to Michael Hooper being marked by Sam Whitelock.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From Paul Cully:

This has been a constant problem throughout Cheika's tenure..... we've generally had two of the best lineout teams in Super Rugby in the Reds and the Brumbies, and even when those key lineout players have featured in the Wallabies it still failed to function.

We could have Keith Wood, John Eales, Victor Matfield and Ben Mowen in the team and we would still throw the ball to Michael Hooper being marked by Sam Whitelock...

Too true Slim. Why would anyone call a lineout to Hooper at 2 when he's being marked by Etsebeth? Never played in a lineout in my life, but I bloody well know I wouldn't do that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I do like that you snuck Mowen in there with Eales, Matfield & Wood Slim.

Mowen is the best lineout backrower Australia has produced in the last decade bar none. In losing teams he topped the Super Rugby comp for lineout steals two years running, even when at the Tahs and he wasn't a starter he was by far the best.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
From Paul Cully:

This has been a constant problem throughout Cheika's tenure..... we've generally had two of the best lineout teams in Super Rugby in the Reds and the Brumbies, and even when those key lineout players have featured in the Wallabies it still failed to function.

We could have Keith Wood, John Eales, Victor Matfield and Ben Mowen in the team and we would still throw the ball to Michael Hooper being marked by Sam Whitelock...

Chieka's lineout issues predate his Wallabies time. At the Tahs he got by in 2014 on a career best year by a couple of players and it all fell to bits when he made no succession planning and gave no real importance/time to the Lineout in 2015. Then Gibson was addled with the flawed squad in 2016-17 and managed to shore it up this year with Simmons. It mirrors the rubbish at the Wallabies, and is a repeat of the stupidity of Deans when he'd select Timani but then fail to use him exclusively at 2 instead putting a bloke who was slow into the air at the back or make him the first phase runner off the back of the lineout and the most lumbering of targets to tackle behind the ad. line. Carbon copied to how Skelton was used by the Wallabies. Yet the players got the ridicule and were discarded for being shit when it was how they were used and the structures.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Cheika is testing players in different positions. Beale at 10 is an option he may be forced into next year. Giving his locks ample exposure is him trying to create depth (an outsider's opinion).

your sympathy cuts the deepest :(

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Mowen is the best lineout backrower Australia has produced in the last decade bar none. In losing teams he topped the Super Rugby comp for lineout steals two years running, even when at the Tahs and he wasn't a starter he was by far the best.
Yeah - I get that, and he is fine for the point Slim was making.

I still thought it was funny that Slim threw him in with 3 of the greats of all time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Except that he's used Beale as a 10 option before and the result has been the same. Not quite sure why Cheika was have expected a different result this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.