• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 13: Rebels v Reds @ Melbourne 10/5/19 7.45 pm

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
David vs Goliath battle of salary caps

Food: $9,000
Data: $1,500
Rent: $11,000
Star player's salary while he runs around playing for your opponents: $500,000
Utilities: $6,500

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
my salary cap is dying

edit: forgot Slipper and KHunt are still on the payrolololololl

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
David vs Goliath battle of salary caps
I can tell you now, there is several Rebels players on a lot less than perceived.

Luke Jones for instance is on the minimum, he wanted to return to Melbourne and has the World Cup in mind. Next year, it’ll be a different situation. Rangi is one of the lowest paid hookers in Australia, his performances warrant an upgrade but is on the same deal prior to breaking into the starting squad. Billy Meakes is on considerably less than current market value, he’s still on his Force deal which was offered as an opportunity to return to Australia and give Super Rugby a go, it’s part of the reason he’s looking at a new home for next season because he can command more money at another state (rumored to be QLD) or overseas, the Rebels can not afford to pay his current market value unless things change.

Quade we know the Rebels are forking out a fraction of his wage, Reds are doing the bulk of the salary same with Slipper and Hunt which is depriving them the opportunity to retain quality players or sign a top end Wallaby at present.

Koroibete will probably be heading overseas next year, so I suspect a lot of his salary will be used to keep Quade. Semisi Tupou will probably be promoted into the squad to fill that wing. With Coleman going Jones will probably take a large portion of that salary and RHP playing a more key role in the side and the two Aus u20s lads pushing to the bench.

Genia staying is up in the air, he wants to but the Rebels and Rugby Aus don’t want to offer the long term deals he’s after. So expect some sort of compromise on money for length of deal.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also, this is the first time I'm against my own team. I want the Rebels to put the Reds to the sword and show everyone they're real contenders.

If the Reds win, it's great, Reds win, but Aus Rugby has a bunch of mediocre battling teams and no star.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I
I can tell you now, there is several Rebels players on a lot less than perceived.

Luke Jones for instance is on the minimum, he wanted to return to Melbourne and has the World Cup in mind. Next year, it’ll be a different situation. Rangi is one of the lowest paid hookers in Australia, his performances warrant an upgrade but is on the same deal prior to breaking into the starting squad. Billy Meakes is on considerably less than current market value, he’s still on his Force deal which was offered as an opportunity to return to Australia and give Super Rugby a go, it’s part of the reason he’s looking at a new home for next season because he can command more money at another state (rumored to be QLD) or overseas, the Rebels can not afford to pay his current market value unless things change.

Quade we know the Rebels are forking out a fraction of his wage, Reds are doing the bulk of the salary same with Slipper and Hunt which is depriving them the opportunity to retain quality players or sign a top end Wallaby at present.

Koroibete will probably be heading overseas next year, so I suspect a lot of his salary will be used to keep Quade. Semisi Tupou will probably be promoted into the squad to fill that wing. With Coleman going Jones will probably take a large portion of that salary and RHP playing a more key role in the side and the two Aus u20s lads pushing to the bench.

Genia staying is up in the air, he wants to but the Rebels and Rugby Aus don’t want to offer the long term deals he’s after. So expect some sort of compromise on money for length of deal.

I suspect Quade will go after the world cup, especially with To'omua here, freeing up money for Meakes,

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

my salary cap is dying

Ok, I didn’t mean it as an insult?
Rebels have a phenomenal squad on paper, comparatively the Reds roster is much more junior and journeyman

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

my salary cap is dying

It makes you wonder, where was all the wailing and gnashing of teeth between 2011-2016? You know, when the Rebels player payments were about $1m less than the Reds and $2m behind the Tahs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rebels have a phenomenal squad on paper, comparatively the Reds roster is much more junior and journeyman

No.

Reality is Reds are paying a big chunk of your misfire. You did mean it as a something?

It’s a big game. Reds step up big time if they manage it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No.

Reality is Reds are paying a big chunk of your misfire. You did mean it as a something?

It’s a big game. Reds step up big time if they manage it.

Oh, if what your friendly chatter was trying to say, was that Rebels are not spending RA top ups at Waratahs, Brumbies, oh and Rebels - well that would be “yes”.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You’re quoting yourself?

Anyway, back to the game, logic for Blyths promotion was to strengthen the lineout, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to the bench so Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) can attempt to slow down Rebels ball and disrupt Genia... disrupt Genia and beat the Rebels. Simple really :/

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Haha no stress, I didn't take it that way. It was just a perfect entre to a silly twitter meme.

The other player i'm keen to watch is Tate McDermott.

Weather is going to be absolutely kak so I'm preparing for a bit of a slugfest. Rebels have a 6-2 bench which should come in handy.