• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 13 Reds vs Blues, Fri May 19, 2023

Reds vs Blues

• Reds by 20+

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Reds by 10+

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Reds in a tight one

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Blues in a tight one

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Blues by 10+

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Blues by 20+

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • B.Barrett can f*** right off f*** that mercenary cotton-wooling c**tshart

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • The Blues "attacking patterns" look like my cock and balls after stepping on a landmine.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Both these teams can suck it

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Rugby Reg smells like an old wet goat.

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Current Pole Option Leader Update:

Rugby Reg smells like an old wet goat. Votes: 9

1089214405851742211.gif

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not a fan. I probably sit with Eddie on that.
That’s well and good - but your comment was that Wilson killed our ball movement.

Did we actually have any ball movement in the first half? Maybe a couple of blind side attacks? Aside from a few mails, we didn’t have a lot of forward momentum either. Wilson wasn’t the one missing bunches of tackles and I can’t remember him making any of the handling errors that led to turning over easy ball. Actually - he might’ve dropped one - which he does need to work on. But his break down work saved a couple of turnovers, he scored a cracking try and the space around the ruck seemed to improve when he and Faessler got out there so he wasn’t all bad.

i’m just struggling how you could watch the game and single him out as the one to criticise.

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
How is Vunivalu getting selected each week? Ineffective on attack - seems to go to ground easily and lacks speed; weak on defence - technique seems to be grab around shoulders and sling them to the ground, but he does like to get onto the back of rucks where not needed. Are we out of wingers?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
How is Vunivalu getting selected each week? Ineffective on attack - seems to go to ground easily and lacks speed; weak on defence - technique seems to be grab around shoulders and sling them to the ground, but he does like to get onto the back of rucks where not needed. Are we out of wingers?
Paying him so much he will be picked.

Same as Tiquiri at the end

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Some brief moments of good play but otherwise a festival of the dropped ball and the soft try conceded...

Bring on next year and a new coach that can hopefully steer the ship in a new direction, as it was just painful watching at Lang Park...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Had a bit of a chuckle when Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens scored his try and then kicked ball away, thought he may pf cost Blues a chance for conversion, need a word in his ear he not playing for Clifton in club comp! :D

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
For those of us who were at the ground. Can anyone let us know the Refs comments on why the Flook flip tackle only warranted a penalty and why Campbell being tackled in the air in goal wasn't a penalty try?

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That’s well and good - but your comment was that Wilson killed our ball movement.

Did we actually have any ball movement in the first half? Maybe a couple of blind side attacks? Aside from a few mails, we didn’t have a lot of forward momentum either. Wilson wasn’t the one missing bunches of tackles and I can’t remember him making any of the handling errors that led to turning over easy ball. Actually - he might’ve dropped one - which he does need to work on. But his break down work saved a couple of turnovers, he scored a cracking try and the space around the ruck seemed to improve when he and Faessler got out there so he wasn’t all bad.

i’m just struggling how you could watch the game and single him out as the one to criticise.
Up until that point it was a flowing game where the ball was getting spread across the team creating opportunities. Much like last week when we beat the Chiefs. Wilson comes on and we ended playing up the centre utilising a couple of players. More pressure on the breakdown and limiting the backs to find space. It become a panic game with more unforced errors because the game was congested in the centre. We didn’t capitalise when Barrett come off and should have continued to play the same way we were for 50 minutes. It was good smart footy up until then. It become the Wilson show without reward.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Up until that point it was a flowing game where the ball was getting spread across the team creating opportunities. Much like last week when we beat the Chiefs. Wilson comes on and we ended playing up the centre utilising a couple of players. More pressure on the breakdown and limiting the backs to find space. It become a panic game with more unforced errors because the game was congested in the centre. We didn’t capitalise when Barrett come off and should have continued to play the same way we were for 50 minutes. It was good smart footy up until then. It become the Wilson show without reward.
Can’t say I agree at all. Either with your thoughts on how we were going before or after Wilson came on. To point the blame on a guy who wasn’t missing the tackles, wasn’t dropping the ball and who was creating space in the opposition defence line seems extremely harsh to me. I’ll leave it at that.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Went to the game last night, atmosphere beforehand on Caxton st was awesome, reminded me of the 2010s when all the pubs would be packed.

Game was enjoyable for the most part, obviously got pretty bleak entering the last 20mins.

Amazing how fickle Reds fans are (I’m no better sometimes) the crowd pretty much dispersed just before full time and not much happening in terms of Caxton st kickons compared to what I had hoped.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can’t say I agree at all. Either with your thoughts on how we were going before or after Wilson came on. To point the blame on a guy who wasn’t missing the tackles, wasn’t dropping the ball and who was creating space in the opposition defence line seems extremely harsh to me. I’ll leave it at that.
All I’m saying is that was the turning point and we were playing a team game and it became individual when Wilson come on. The style of game flicked a switch and it wasn’t in our favour. If we were in front by 14 at the 50 minute mark and didn’t lose the momentum it would’ve been a different perception. Happy not to agree.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For those of us who were at the ground. Can anyone let us know the Refs comments on why the Flook flip tackle only warranted a penalty and why Campbell being tackled in the air in goal wasn't a penalty try?

When in the game is the Flook tackle?

For the Campbell one, he'd already clearly dropped the ball before there was any contact in the air. It would have been a penalty for contacting a player in the air but there was nothing dangerous. The penalty advantage and yellow card for repeated infringements close to the line superseded it.

I think if Campbell had caught it cleanly and then the contact in the air caused him to drop it the result could have been a penalty try.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not even sure it was a tip tackle to be honest, Flook could almost of got penalised for jumping in tackle which has been outlawed. But there was one occasion where the ref said there was cover coming across anyway, I only remember ref saying it though can't remember when he said it, if it was that tackle or not. Someone with a better memory than me will be able to enlighten us.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

He’s been very very good this last two weeks. He was back to average last night.