• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 13 Reds vs Blues, Fri May 19, 2023

Reds vs Blues

• Reds by 20+

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Reds by 10+

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Reds in a tight one

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Blues in a tight one

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Blues by 10+

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Blues by 20+

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • B.Barrett can f*** right off f*** that mercenary cotton-wooling c**tshart

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • The Blues "attacking patterns" look like my cock and balls after stepping on a landmine.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Both these teams can suck it

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Rugby Reg smells like an old wet goat.

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Lynagh…. an embarrassing turnstile.
Not only Lynagh BUT I have to suggest that TL is not up to Super 15 level by a long way. He is still young and a great prospect BUT let him develop back in QPR and compete each week for 80mins against some of the rising #10 stars such HMP, Jake Pappin etc and see how he develops. He clearly is outsized, muscled at this point at the Super Level.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not even sure it was a tip tackle to be honest, Flook could almost of got penalised for jumping in tackle which has been outlawed. But there was one occasion where the ref said there was cover coming across anyway, I only remember ref saying it though can't remember when he said it, if it was that tackle or not. Someone with a better memory than me will be able to enlighten us.
I think you’re being very generous to the defender Dan. I thought his tackle technique definitely put Flook in a dangerous position beyond the horizontal, well in the air. The only saving grace was that Flook was able to control his landing.

I’ve seen cards for far less.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
When in the game is the Flook tackle?

For the Campbell one, he'd already clearly dropped the ball before there was any contact in the air. It would have been a penalty for contacting a player in the air but there was nothing dangerous. The penalty advantage and yellow card for repeated infringements close to the line superseded it.

I think if Campbell had caught it cleanly and then the contact in the air caused him to drop it the result could have been a penalty try.
Yes, Campbell had already dropped the ball, but still contacted in the air. Like you said, went back for the penalty and yellow card. Thought Tate was tackled without the ball, but they didn't look at it. And Harrison Lloyd is definitely in the squad ATM

Attachments

• DSC_9860.jpg
    DSC_9860.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_9861.jpg
    DSC_9861.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_9728.jpg
    DSC_9728.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_8896.jpg
    DSC_8896.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 90

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Friday night

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think you’re being very generous to the defender Dan. I thought his tackle technique definitely put Flook in a dangerous position beyond the horizontal, well in the air. The only saving grace was that Flook was able to control his landing.

I’ve seen cards for far less.
Yep so have I mate, and I was looking at both sides, I had no problem with penalty etc, but is not the law you can't jump into a tackle?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yep so have I mate, and I was looking at both sides, I had no problem with penalty etc, but is not the law you can't jump into a tackle?
It wasn't a jump though, Flook kept running and went inverted over the top. If he had, we would not have been given a penalty.

It was bang on the 10 minute mark now that I've had a chance to revisit it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I held off responding until I could review it Dan. I’m confused by the claim Flook jumped into it. Yes - that’s the law, but I don’t think it happened even to a small degree. To my viewing Flook ended up in the air entirely due to the defender’s actions.

Having reviewed it I’m even more confused as to why it wasn’t a card. It seems very obviously one to me.

Edit: although I will add that in the interest of less video ref interference I can live with the fact the ref will get some of these decisions wrong.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was bang on the 10 minute mark now that I've had a chance to revisit it.

Thanks.

Flook clearly still has one foot on the ground when contact is made with the defender.

This should have been a yellow card. He gets him well past horizontal and while there is no driving the player or dropping him it still relies on Flook protecting his fall to lower the danger.

This situation is probably the most common situation where you see a lifting tackle as the ball carrier has just passed the ball so they're not braced for contact and trying to power through the defender like they would be if they still had the ball. It means that there's little resistance to the lifting action from the defender so it can very quickly get into a dangerous position.