• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 14: QLD v NSW (The Stink Part II) - Lang Park 18/5 7.45

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
some odd comments about LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I think he's been excellent this year. His best season yet. A much more mature player now with an excellent work rate

That may well be Reg, but ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has totally eclipsed him this year. The only thing he's lacking is run metres, but frankly he's too busy doing the grunt work which is totally fine by me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That may well be Reg, but ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has totally eclipsed him this year. The only thing he's lacking is run metres, but frankly he's too busy doing the grunt work which is totally fine by me.

I wouldn't say totally. I need to get back on top of my stats!

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah, Robertson does a lot of the real grunt work very well. Lots of hit-ups in close, lost of tackles, lots of clean-outs. Because he doesn't make any big barnstorming runs a lot of people don't rate him. He scrummaged pretty well too, the only scrum penalty against the Tahs came on Kepu's side.

Everyone goes for the big barnstorming runs because they look good! Cheika exhibit A of this (Timu over Wells!!!!!!) Robertson doesn't go backwards that much with his carries both he and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) have some of the best footwork before and during collision in the world. So agile for props.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone goes for the big barnstorming runs because they look good! Cheika exhibit A of this (Timu over Wells!!!!!!)

Timu and Wells are clearly very different players.

With Pocock and Hooper also in that backrow, no one would have selected Wells to accompany them. He's a lightweight, high workrate backrower when the obvious accompaniment was a big bodied player.

I think Timu is well off the radar this season and I would pick Wells over him at any level at the moment but if I went back to the Ireland series last year there is no chance at all that I pick Wells to accompany Hooper and Pocock.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Timu and Wells are clearly very different players.

With Pocock and Hooper also in that backrow, no one would have selected Wells to accompany them. He's a lightweight, high workrate backrower when the obvious accompaniment was a big bodied player.

I think Timu is well off the radar this season and I would pick Wells over him at any level at the moment but if I went back to the Ireland series last year there is no chance at all that I pick Wells to accompany Hooper and Pocock.

Agree, unfortunately for Wells he's just a bit too small to be a test 6/8 and a bit too big to be a 7. Certainly does a job for the Tahs though.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree, unfortunately for Wells he's just a bit too small to be a test 6/8 and a bit too big to be a 7. Certainly does a job for the Tahs though.

That's what I like though he always does a job and is rugby smart!! The line that he ran to score in the second half was sweet! Timu, Cheika, Naisarani or Coleman would just try and keep barging through people.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

the size is because you are comparing to those in the past who have been successful. I guess many years ago people could be considered too big to play wing. Now it is a matter of being too small.

Skillset is what matters.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
the size is because you are comparing to those in the past who have been successful. I guess many years ago people could be considered too big to play wing. Now it is a matter of being too small.

Skillset is what matters.

And it also used to be about the balance between 6, 7 and 8. Nowadays it's getting the balance over 4,5,6,7 & 8. There's no reason you could play Wells as a test 6 or 8 as long as you have the balance over the other 4 positions. I'm not suggesting he'll be in the RWC squad but I certainly wouldn't rule him out of calculations 2020+.