• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 8: Reds v Stormers Friday 5th April

B

Bobby Sands

Great win boys.

Wright was very good.

Very pleasing to see. Lots of negativity here about the current setup, but I really like what is happening at the Reds.

Think the nucleus of this side will be our next very good one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well done Reds. Turgid first half, pulled it together in the second. Kolisis has to be regrettinng his card.

Not scintilating rugby, but are they playing the sort of rugby that might do OK in Africa?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well done Reds. Slow start but some entertaining play in the second stanza.Tate, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and Stewart were very pleasing. Kerevi the usual mix of sublime and times where he just needed to pick his passes better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I haven't been scrutinising African rugby anything like as close as I used to, but honest. Robbie Fleck, what is going on? What happened to the Kiwi style rugby in RSA? It's not looking well implemented this many years into your tenure.

To the rest of us, how would it have gone with the first choice Stormer locks on board? I actually don't think the lineout would have changed that much (now THAT is a nod to Brad Thorn and the Red set piece) but the work in the engine room is unlikely to have allowed that 0-0 half time score.

Saffer rugby needs more than this, They have as much work to do as Aus does.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought Stewart was Awesome c.f. usual self. looked very calm. DP i thought looked dangerous whilst running but then trying to do too much.

Wright Rodda LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - all very very busy - esp. Wright.
Really thingk the 9,10,15 combo has some serious promise

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good win nice to see Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) return to form from as Wob perspective. McDermott stepped up tv oo

For me Wright, Higgers, Kerevi, Stewart. Higgers an excellent "captain's knock" - yes I know he's not the captain but he led by example, calmly, with toughness. Kerevi kicked (edit: kicked on) when he needed to. Another "Captain's knock". Wright played a solid game, with highlights of rugby nous, especially in the set piece.

Stewart - didn't like him last year. Maybe too much Quade residual for me. I'm changing my mind. Muchly.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hamish Stewart is so skilled. He gets such trash from his inside and turns it into butter.

I really, really wish Kerevi passed the ball earlier. He could be so, so good if he was just a little bit smarter at creating space for others.
I would like to see two hands on the ball a bit more often, and a two handed pop pass is easier to catch than a one handed flick.

He is playing well but with his experience he should be holing the ball in tackles a few more times a game rather than looking for the miracle ball.

Our passing accuracy is terrible and needs a lot of work

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I quite enjoyed that one.

A good, solid game. Not the flashiest, or even the most skilled. But it was pretty tough by both sides.

I enjoyed it, I know a few were a little disappointed with first half, but I honestly thought that's where Reds won the game, was saying at halftime that with the Stormers throwing everything at Reds in first half and not scoring, and last game of tour, I couldn'e see them being mentally strong enough to win it. When the Reds scored early in second half if you could see the body language of the Stormers ,they looked they had packed it all in, and was surprised they fought back for a while! Well worth being at game!

Reactions: gel

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed it, I know a few were a little disappointed with first half, but I honestly thought that's where Reds won the game, was saying at halftime that with the Stormers throwing everything at Reds in first half and not scoring, and last game of tour, I couldn'e see them being mentally strong enough to win it. When the Reds scored early in second half if you could see the body language of the Stormers ,they looked they had packed it all in, and was surprised they fought back for a while! Well worth being at game!

Unfortunately for the Stormers it was actually their 2nd last game of the tour! They have to travel to Melbourne next week to play the Rebs which could get ugly.

A win is a win. I've been very slowly warming to Hegarty. Kerevi gets better every week and is so vital to this team.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

That's what I thought as well. That first half was a measured performance by the reds and set the base for the narrative that played out.

That's why I like rugby games like that - the story that unfolds is what's captivating.

I understand why some people don't like that kind of game though.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll take the win. Boy were we lucky in a lot of respects, a few of those almost WP tries there were millimetres in it. Nil all at half time was unexpected.

Some aspects improving others not so. I think the back combinations are slowly coming together. Some real brain explosion moments. Overall half decent a win is a win is a win.

I cannot fault the work ethic of this team. In some years past you could tell a lot of the blokes were just going through the motions. These boys are working for each other. Good to see.

Young Harry Hockings for me a future star. Big rawboned kid, got plenty of development in him yet, but geez he looks the goods. Country Qld continues to be a great rugby nursery.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@gel

I don't mind knuckling in with the boys through a half like that. I'm not sure though, that it is a consistent methodology for success - depends a lot on the opposition. In a "building' year (that word again) it is a decent platform to be laying.

Going forward we are going to need considerable advancement in game plan and complexity with application from a base (the Red culture) but with variation.

Right now though, it might do adequately in RSA.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Higgers was pretty good, too, I thought. Not a single grubber kick.

nah, I'm off him. He's an impact player at best. Perhaps a mentor. 3 runs and 3 tackles for your number 8? Not good enough. He definately had some good moments but he was also found out in defense out wide (so slow).

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
nah, I'm off him. He's an impact player at best. Perhaps a mentor. 3 runs and 3 tackles for your number 8? Not good enough. He definately had some good moments but he was also found out in defense out wide (so slow).
He made 3 tackles in 80 minutes, that boy best be hitting every single ruck because those numbers are atrocious. 3 tackles and 3 runs.