• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 9: Auckland Blues v ACT Brumbies, Sat, April 20 2024

Favourite Rugby Manoeuvre:

• The Garry Owen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Seagull vs The Falcon

• The Basil Brush

• Total voters

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have a question though - should that scrum have been packed?

If the sanction for a kick out in the full was a penalty, then fair enough BUT it isn’t, it’s a scrum. And given time had elapsed under the rules I didn’t think you continued on for a scrum offence. Is there any other offence for which the scrum must be packed, even if time has elapsed?

I don’t think you should be able to end a half like that and I expect I am wrong about the rule (and, if so, Lolesio should have know the rule) but I can actually see the logic to what he did.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wright wasn't bad.
He didn't stuff anything up as there wasn't much in the way of attack.
Yeah look I'm always happy to see Brumbies supporters come back to earth but I'm first and foremost a Wallabies supporter. So when they need to brought back to earth I want it to be against an Aussie side. Brumbies are better than that, there were some shit individual performances for sure, but they'll come back with some bite.
A bit late KOB, this was their big chance to put out a statement that we are going to compete for the title.
BTW I am not a Brumbies hater I had them as a close loss in my comp.
As a general observation this year, it is our complete lack of consistency in performance, it is one strong way to piss off fans.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I have a question though - should that scrum have been packed?

If the sanction for a kick out in the full was a penalty, then fair enough BUT it isn’t, it’s a scrum. And given time had elapsed under the rules I didn’t think you continued on for a scrum offence. Is there any other offence for which the scrum must be packed, even if time has elapsed?

I don’t think you should be able to end a half like that and I expect I am wrong about the rule (and, if so, Lolesio should have know the rule) but I can actually see the logic to what he did.
Law 5.7

A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.

Although is does look like this Law hasn't quite.been updated to include the restart kick after a held-up

I think Lolesio knows the rule, he just overshot the kick by half a metre

Reactions: TSR

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Watching this with one eye while browsing my phone.

Lolesio was the worst of them. The dropout just before half-time was, in a word, execrable

The game plan was mystifying. Attacking two out clearly wasn't working, but they kept doing it. Dumb.
Looking at the Chiefs game then this, I think they have a game plan but strictly only one version. So the issue becomes there is no other options and playing what's in front of them or ad-libbing is really foreign.

I know that they have been working hard on playing less structured, playing what's in front of them but they are just not on the same page so lack support nad options, and are so passive and conservative at times its painful.

@Pfitzy - I think you were close to the mark a few weeks ago when you said here is something fundamentally wrong with the backline. I would actually even go as far as to say it's also a mix of the backs and forwards being on seperate song sheets so it's not a cohesive team based plan, mixed with some individuals that are probably out of their depth (like Ryan - and its why he was always the back up) and like Noah who still has a lot to learn and is part of a backline that look like they would all be sitting at different tables if they went to the pub.

The coaching is another interesting one. Once Mckellar moved on they seen to loose the edge they had. Now with some other key people gone the lineout and scrum seem to have become a problem. Possibly inexperienced coaching, but I have then qeustion is Bernie that dependant on others as the can't stop the rot?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy - I think you were close to the mark a few weeks ago when you said here is something fundamentally wrong with the backline

I may have said such a thing.

BUT when your go-to game plan - chucking it 1-2 wide and getting mullered - isn't working. There is also another game plan: tell your pigs to harden the F up and do some damage in close.

The Blues are a good team. Nobody is doubting that. But they've also got some fucking lazy flat track bullies (Akira Ioane being an example), who don't like it when things get hard. So time to front up and bash a few people when you're carrying the ball.

Unfortunately the Brumbies also have a few players like this and, to nobody's surprise, guys like Neville and Swain were nowhere to be seen in the first half except pulling sulky faces and shying away from hard work.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did anyone actually think we would win in Auckland.. I had hoped but it wasn't like we were crowing or anything.. I did not think it be a total shit show though.

We have a good record against the canes in Canberra, so hopefully we get up... Anzac game and all.
Tomikin, our away performances across the board are pretty poor, I noted the Reds have only one away win (Rebels) and one loss at home (Brumbies). The Brumbies have 3 away wins and I assume this is the best. Haven't looked at how the Kiwi's are going.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
fucking lazy flat track bullies (Akira Ioane being an example), who don't like it when things get hard.
8EBw.gif

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Blues are a good team. Nobody is doubting that. But they've also got some fucking lazy flat track bullies (Akira Ioane being an example), who don't like it when things get hard. So time to front up and bash a few people when you're carrying the ball.

Unfortunately the Brumbies also have a few players like this and, to nobody's surprise, guys like Neville and Swain were nowhere to be seen in the first half except pulling sulky faces and shying away from hard work.
Totally agree. The forwards seem softer and lazy since McKellar and Lord moved on.

I can't see anyone in the coaching team or playing group with that F-off, no prisoners, bash the shite outa em', mongrel attitude so our forwards are feared or disliked on the field. It's something (or someone) we really need.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I was tipping a bonus point loss. Not a massive blow out.
On Superbru the average prediction was a Brumby loss by 9-10. Worst (or best) prediction was a loss by 22. No one came within cooee of the final result. 11% thought it would be a tight Brumbies win. It was a very unexpected result for everyone.