• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The quote from Rob on front is incorrect.
There was never any offer made to Beale by the former CEO .
In fact even before the SA debacle he recommended to the Board that Beale not be resigned and that they announce that intention then.
It was basically the ARU that would not permit the Rebels to make that position public.
There is so much horrible unreported stuff about Beales behavior over his time with the Rebels , it would make your hair curl!
And his Manager has been in denial consistently.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
If truth be known it is incredible that the club has lasted so far. It basically ran out of money before they had kicked a football in anger.
The model the club now has is what should have been in place from the start except that the ARU wanted to use someone else's money to grow the 5th Aussie franchise.
The club also now has an experienced Rugby CEO and the right style of Coach.
However the previous CEO saved the club from financial extinction and the previous coach developed some fantastic talent. The current management will benefit from their efforts and will not have to deal with the egos of an out of control Board supporting out of control players.

As someone who has had a close association with the Rebels from the start, I have to generally agree with this. The club has been to hell and back off-field.

The first year was spending in the excess. The club was unsustainable and they expected Mitchell to pick up the tab. He wouldn't so they brought in the last CEO.

He took it the other way - costs were slashed, and so were jobs. As blues recovery said, probably saved the club, but I don't believe he was well liked (though I met him several times and seemed like a great guy). So he sees out the VRU transfer, and in the meantime gets an offer somewhere else and goes.

I think the club has turned a corner, and that we'll thrive. However, we need Clarke to stick around. If he doesn't I'll be worried.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
As for NSW, you got set back 5 years? Try 35. If I recollect correctly it was the Sydney and then NSW cheif exec who landed in the big house over the Concord stadium development kickbacks in the 80's. Since then the Tahs have been text book case study of infighting, back stabbing, political assasination and under-acheivment.

And you say this has all changed? Exactly what has changed? And you think that it's the supporters who have changed things?
Thanks for the words of encouragment. I'm accutely aware of the issues at the Tahs. There are threads devoted to it on here. Looking back I couldn't agree more that they are text book on what not to do. That's my point. Look across what has transpired at the Rebels from their inception. It's not a sign of a functional organisation. Having seen what has happened at the Tahs and even the ARU, the Rebels troubles should send alarms bells. If you think everything is OK at the Rebels and you don't need to question decisions that's your choice. Take it from those who have been through it already, its better to act early.

In reference to you suggesting I take my head out of my backside. I said:
We accepted the BS that came out of headoffice for too long. It was only after hitting rock bottom that we revolted and some of the deadwood and poor decision makers were tossed out.
I stress some change has occurred. More is still required. But that initial change occurred because fans stopped going to games, TV ratings fell and now our major sponsor has left after 10 years. That's the type of change fans can cause. Pretty dismal place to be. I hope the Rebels can avoid that. If everything is moving along swimmingly at the Rebels well you've got nothing to worry about then, but I don't buy it.

As for who runs the show in Melbourne. His name is Rob Clarke. He is an ARU appointee and has done something that no NSW official has ever known. He was CEO of a club that actually won a Super rugby title.

I'm aware of Clarke. I hope he can replicate the Brumbies success. He may need to find a Larkham, Roff, Gregan, Paul, Mortlock etc. but from an adminstration side he may well get the ship on the right course. However I'm not referring to Clarke when I refer to those at the top of the Rebels that were there from its inception. Has there been anyone at the Rebels who has been involved in all the poor decisions? It couldn't hurt to investigate. If I was Clarke that's what I'd be doing.

As I said before, perhaps everything is rosey at the Rebels but the signs suggest otherwise. Rebels fans would be wise to be vigilant and question rather than accept everything they are told from all sides. Experience has told us that is the prudent thing to do in Australian rugby.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Can anyone shed light on the split of the Rebel Army group? You guys used to be a great addition at the south end, but it looks like there's been a schism in the church and you've parted ways.

What gives?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is so much horrible unreported stuff about Beales behavior over his time with the Rebels , it would make your hair curl!

I've heard this from multiple influential sources which is enough to have me bealeving it.

The gossip monger in me wants answers, but understandably does not expect them.

Can anyone shed light on the split of the Rebel Army group? You guys used to be a great addition at the south end, but it looks like there's been a schism in the church and you've parted ways.

What gives?

This thought cross my mind too, maybe they just like sitting in different locations. It's not like sitting behind the posts is ideal for rugby watching.

I think at the end of the day their social media presence is the big thing.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I've heard this from multiple influential sources which is enough to have me bealeving it.

The gossip monger in me wants answers, but understandably does not expect them.

As much as it would be interesting to hear it, I think now since he's left the club we just let it go. Sure he's probably done some stupid things, but bringing them up now is not going to really help him deal with the issues he has now. Having said that I've he's done anything illegally then let the right people deal with that.

This thought cross my mind too, maybe they just like sitting in different locations. It's not like sitting behind the posts is ideal for rugby watching.

I typically inhabit isle 35 on match days (not a bad end to pick for the highlanders match) and notice a few of the Army sitting behind me up the top (near the camera stands). Don't know names, just faces I've seen on Rebel Army photos. The only faces I now (@KevinO and Gav - don't know if he exists on GAGR - probably does somewhere) I don't see up with them. Fair to say they join in with making it a very noisy end of the ground.

Maybe a recruitment drive on social media is in order?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

It's basically this. Gav and a few have left the group and gone to the other end trying to drum up a soccer-style 'active end' - we tried this early in season 2 and found it wasn't well received, but Gav was determined so left the Army and went on his own way.

The rest of us have stayed with the Army at the same place. We don't put the sign up any more as per an agreement with the Rebels, because they sold the ad space. So it's still the same amount of people in the same place, we're just harder to spot!

To be honest, we don't have to do much any more - the foundations were set in season 1. The notion of the Army has taken a life of its own - the noise is now default for the Rebel crowd, we just start it up when we feel it appropriate. Apart from that it's just a bunch of mates sitting together and drinking.

Our biggest direct contribution apart from that is the social stuff, which we work with the Rebels on a lot. I'd like for the Army to become the social club for the Rebels, but that's a longer-term thing.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
He was still negotiating with the Tahs and wants the best deal for his client. I would expect most player mangers would do the same.

Thinking about it, this is the crux of the matter.

Moses is unhappy because the Rebels have hamstrung his ability to use them to leverage the Tahs into giving Beale a bigger contract. Only, if Beale had no intention of ever signing with the Rebels, why should the the Rebels assist him in getting a better contract with the Tahs? Especially after all the trouble he has put them through this season.

Thinking about it this way, I think the Rebels have made the absolute best decision as soon as it became obvious that they were not in the running. If Beale wasn't going to negotiate with them in good faith then he shouldn't profit from their interest.

Reactions: Tex

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I see the Rebels Season awards were announced during the week:
Player's Player of the year: Scott Higginbotham
Spirit of Weary Dunlop: Scott Fuglistaller
Rookie of the Year: Tom English
Rod Macqueen Pursuit of Exellence: Nick Phipps

Rebel Rising Best Local Player: Taofiga Sa
Rebel Rising Matt Cockbain Award: Bill Valetini
Rebel Rising Player of the Year: Bryce Hegarty

Congratulations to all these players. Does anyone know who got awarded with the following (or were they not awarded this year?):
People's Choice Award
Adam 'Bear' Nicholson Rebel of the Year
Five Star Engagement Award; and
Try of the Year.

Also interesting to note that three Kiwis (Robinson, Chamberlain and Fuglistaller) have won the Spirit of Weary Dunlop Award in our three seasons.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Don't know names, just faces I've seen on Rebel Army photos. The only faces I now (@KevinO and Gav - don't know if he exists on GAGR - probably does somewhere) I don't see up with them. Fair to say they join in with making it a very noisy end of the ground.

Maybe a recruitment drive on social media is in order?

As much as I am friends with both parties, I don't sit with them as I prefer sitting side on. Gav was Kronic on this forum. Don't think he will come back after some things that happened.

I have to agree the Army does not seem to have the same presence but as Stu said the home crowd now gets going from everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.