• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

A good pick-up. He is a hard hitter, a bit more mobile and, I think, has better potential (than his brother). I suspect a player who will go ahead with solid game time. Good pick up at 8 for Rebs.

If he was a solid game day player in 2012, what happened to reduce his game time this year?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If he was a solid game day player in 2012, what happened to reduce his game time this year?
A good coach, look at who they have not getting a game this season. Lachie Turner for one can't even get a gig on the bench under Cheika.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The 22-year-old played in all but two of the Waratahs' games last season but has had limited game time this year.
"At only 19, Lopeti is a player with enormous potential,'' said Rebels coach Damien Hill.

I think it's because he was born in Smarch.

RaAhBBk4Tkuw8gxwPeg6tZHAo1_500.jpg

Lousy Smarch weather!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume he's not getting game time because he's off to the Rebels. There as speculation a while ago.

He's killing it in the Shute Shield, it can't be performance based.

A good coach, look at who they have not getting a game this season. Lachie Turner for one can't even get a gig on the bench under Cheika.

Lachie Turner has a broken leg.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Few things. McCutcheon came back, Palu has played recently. I think he should have seen some more time this year. Absolutely carved it up in Shute Shield in the games I saw him in last year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I assume he's not getting game time because he's off to the Rebels. There as speculation a while ago.

He's killing it in the Shute Shield, it can't be performance based.

Lachie Turner has a broken leg.

Had missed Turner broke his leg, it did happen in club rugby as he wasn't getting a game.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Interesting soundbite from Richard Graham at the 'big announcement' of big kev's re-signing:

Graham, who coached at Western Force in 2011-12, also denied the Reds were looking to bolster their backline by chasing off-contract stars James O'Connor or Israel Folau.

Dunno how to read it because I don;t know how to read Richard Graham. The fact they are talking about it means it's on their minds, or they might just want to dispel the rumor all together. AS others have said on this Forum I can't see James heading back home as he's got a better chance of wearing a 10 on his back at the Rebels. Folau, well you never know...

Article ref: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...eds/story-e6frf4qu-1226636229300#.UYdzYLUyYvk

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Saw this in the Tahs '14 thread, they're more concerned about Horne, but its big news for us.

Jones to stay a Rebel
In other player news, the Rebels are expected to announce the re-signing of versatile forward Luke Jones in coming days. Melbourne have fended off interest from the Waratahs and Force to retain the promising youngster. He is not the only player expected to stay put. Despite overtures from the Force, indications are Test centre Rob Horne will stay in Sydney, where he has enjoyed a form resurgence at No.12.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/coach-race-a-mini-tri-nations-20130516-2jpbn.html#ixzz2TSjbVQtB

Big sigh of relief!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Saw this in the Tahs '14 thread, they're more concerned about Horne, but its big news for us.

Big sigh of relief!

Big indeed. Not only do we keep Jones, but with the re-signing of Horne and Izzy I can't see how they would fit KB (Kurtley Beale) under the salary cap. Firms up the case for him to stay in Melbourne.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd love to see KB (Kurtley Beale) stay as this experience could be the making of him. But, if he goes he goes. Alternatively, the news about Horne seems less solid than the word on Jones and I wouldn't say no to having him down in Melbourne if the Tahs do find that they cannot afford him. He'd certainly slot in at 12 perfectly for us.

The other thing about Jones re-signing is that next year's forward pack is starting to look really quite good. It is of course contingent on our new front row signings being any good, but the turn around from the last couple of seasons is massive, from where we had a shit forward pack and good backline to a potentially very solid forward pack and slightly flaky backline.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Saffy/Jones
7. Fainga'a/Reid
8. Higginbotham/Timani

Makings of a very good pack, need to get the front row sorted though.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Saffy/Jones
7. Fainga'a/Reid
8. Higginbotham/Timani

Makings of a very good pack, need to get the front row sorted though.
I'd take Jones ahead of Neville, but otherwise agree.

Nic Henderson is still doing well at LHP, the Rebels (like most Super teams atm) just need a good THP.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Henderson is not good enough to be your starting prop.

I reckon they are only keeping him around because you need 5 or 6 props in the squad next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.