• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Re this Horwitz fella; i'd love for him to come to Melbourne, but if he was smart he'd play a year in Sydney and see whether Beale breaks away and plays league.

Or go out on a limb and carve his own name in the world ;)

I think even Beale goes, Horwitz will be second fiddle to Foley for a while. The Tahs have shown their hand by how much they fought to retain him. Perhaps that's what irks me about this, that they screwed with the Rebels attempts to recruit a player and now people suggest they should also retain a prospective player.

I do think Horwitz would be a fantastic get for Melbourne in that he's exactly what we need. A young player looking for an opportunity with heaps of upside. We don't know who the skills coach will be for the Rebels this year, so its hard to say that he'll be stifled in his development there.

If anything, since the Rebels skills coach has just moved to the Waratahs, he might be stifled in his development if he stays ;)

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
No doubt this time next year the Rebels or other franchises, will be discussing the likes of fullback/wingers Andrew Kellaway and Harry Jones who are better now in their positions than Horwitz was at their age, in his.

Now there's a couple of more eggs for a future pudding.

Lee, are you ruling out the possibility that 1 or both of these players could be in a squad or EPS in 2014? It's not unusual for the best 1 or 2 schoolboys to play Super rugby straight out of school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's possible— after all, they are two of the best schoolboys backs since Beale (note the words "of the")—and I have spoken before about the possibility of warehousing them.

However, you need your EPS guys to be ready to run on and you can't clog up the EPS with too many players who are well covered in the main squad. You need a scrummie, a hooker, and probably a prop—to make 6 props, in total.

I haven't done a forensic examination of what players have yet to be covered in the Tahs' 35 or 36, whatever it is, but warehousing two young outside backs would be expensive, in the sense that it uses up scarce resources.

And if they want to keep Horwitz in town there is even less likelihood that Kellaway and/or Jones will be offered an EPS gig.

But it could be a good move for other franchises to pick up one of them.

This is the Rebels' thread? I doubt that if they have just recruited Kingston they would have a need for another young outside back in the stable, but I have not done an analysis of their needs either.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
News.com.au is reporting Horwitz will sign with the Rebels after Tahs only offered an EPS contract.

"Melbourne Rebels are expected to soon announce the signing of rising Randwick playmaker David Horwitz. The five-eighth/centre went on NSW’s tour of Argentina but was only offered an EPS contract, with Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale, Jonno Lance and Ben Volavola ahead of him."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...ussions-continue/story-fndpu1x3-1226706914962

Reactions: gel

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
News.com.au is reporting Horwitz will sign with the Rebels after Tahs only offered an EPS contract.

"Melbourne Rebels are expected to soon announce the signing of rising Randwick playmaker David Horwitz. The five-eighth/centre went on NSW’s tour of Argentina but was only offered an EPS contract, with Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale, Jonno Lance and Ben Volavola ahead of him."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...ussions-continue/story-fndpu1x3-1226706914962

Sometimes I wonder how many of those style of articles come out of journos reading sites like this one.

If its true, fantastic work by Cordingly (again). Perfect investment for the club.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just read in the West that the Rebels made a play to get Luke Burton but he turned them down to stay in Perth. Very happy about that. Hopefully you guys do get Horwitz.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sometimes I wonder how many of those style of articles come out of journos reading sites like this one.

If its true, fantastic work by Cordingly (again). Perfect investment for the club.

Haha. "Sources close to the club are reporting that the Melbourne Rebels will sign David Horwitz..."

Bunch of blokes skiving off work and chatting about rugby = "sources".

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Haha. "Sources close to the club are reporting that the Melbourne Rebels will sign David Horwitz."

Bunch of blokes skiving off work and chatting about rugby = "sources".

Once again GAGR first with the news. Then again Payto and Panda might be having a slow news week and just skimmed GAGR for their article.

Still, if Sam pulled this one off that's good work from him. With the potential signing of the older Timani that would be Rebels 2, 'tah's 1 (from a recruitment perspective). Always nice to get one of the 'tahs (classic Victorian coming out in me).

Reactions: Tex

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's possible— after all, they are two of the best schoolboys backs since Beale (note the words "of the")—and I have spoken before about the possibility of warehousing them.

However, you need your EPS guys to be ready to run on and you can't clog up the EPS with too many players who are well covered in the main squad. You need a scrummie, a hooker, and probably a prop—to make 6 props, in total.

I haven't done a forensic examination of what players have yet to be covered in the Tahs' 35 or 36, whatever it is, but warehousing two young outside backs would be expensive, in the sense that it uses up scarce resources.

And if they want to keep Horwitz in town there is even less likelihood that Kellaway and/or Jones will be offered an EPS gig.

But it could be a good move for other franchises to pick up one of them.

This is the Rebels' thread? I doubt that if they have just recruited Kingston they would have a need for another young outside back in the stable, but I have not done an analysis of their needs either.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Bastards. We'll have to pull a Foley on you lot and tempt him back.

Good for him. Taking his opportunities when they arise.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
If it is serious I think Sam and Rob would have pull out all stops to make sure that Foley-type crap never happens again, especially in this case.

This won't be the last of it tho. Much like all the aussie rules talent that leaves Victoria to find a job with another team, it is the reality of a professional sports market.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If it is serious I think Sam and Rob would have pull out all stops to make sure that Foley-type crap never happens again, especially in this case.

This won't be the last of it tho. Much like all the aussie rules talent that leaves Victoria to find a job with another team, it is the reality of a professional sports market.

I think the ARU should be limiting the extent to which this stuff goes on.

Rugby's support base is built on a strong ammateur tradition. Professionalism is the way forward, but the ammateur representative tradition should be upheld where feasible. It's what builds a strong support culture, folklore etc.

Rebels should follow the forces lead and hopefully in time start bringing in local players. The force now have 6 locals in the squad. The ARU play an important part in this as well with academy funding and whatnot.

On a side note but not totally unrelated, there is talk of each super rugby team having a 10 player academy next season, along with a 32 man squad and 5 EPS. Not confirmed but if you look at player movements and the way the Reds have been signing up youngsters early it seems logical.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe the Force and the Rebels should be given an extra 2 or 3 EPS spots for local players?

I can't see it being much of an advantage at all but would provide slightly more guaranteed opportunity for local players in the non-traditional rugby states.

I think thats a great idea. The brumbies could probably use it as well.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Rebels are running an academy program for local players but none have been quite good enough to step up.

It'll come with time. Sort out the junior pathways, improve the level of the schools competition and have a successful senior team in the Rebels and athletes will come through the system.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Good ideas. I think in the short-term the EPS increase for local (in my case, play club/schools Rugby in Victoria) would be a smart one. For other structural changes such as draft zoning, EPS-style academy etc the ARU will need to implement the 3rd tier competition for it to be fully effective at a national level. It would probably work within the SS and Queensland premiership structure, but all these extra players need to play in a structure (locally) that will help them (and the game in that local area) develop and grow. Sending all the academy players to the established comps will just put us back at square one and not really development the game at a national level.

I can only imagine the type of talent we could have retained if a 3rd tier comp was available, but can only dream about the talent that will be around in Victoria when we have a 3rd tier competition. All positive talk, just gotta find the money.

T

Train Without a Station

Bowside it's pretty rich from the point of view of a Queenslander, who supports a stronger franchise, with a stronger local competition to be telling the struggling Rebels they should be recruiting from their inferior local competition.

They are simply not in the position to do this. If they were performing well on the park that would be one thing, but right now they need to take whatever measures they can to improve performances. Selecting more players from the 5th best club comp in Australia isn't one of those measures.

Obviously they need to get there long term, but a successful team will build more interest which will have more young men playing rugby, not AFL which will increase the talent pool.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
David Horwitz would be a massive coup. Big, big future for this kid. Look at the difference he's made to Randwick on his return - and he's only 18.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Oi, who's side are you on?

Horwitz isn't anything special and the Rebels shouldn't bother looking at him. Oh, and Reid should be let go as he adds absolutely nothing to the Rebels.

The Tahs will gladly take them off your hands.

Haha, to be fair i'm not sure which side im on. I want to see a strong Australian conference, but also a very strong Tahs team. Whatever team he goes to he will add great depth and potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.