• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Word from the camp on the coaching situation is it's down to two candidates , both Macs.
Also apparently not keen at all on re signing JOC (James O'Connor).

blues recovery with the inside scoop, yet again :)

So looks like Damo not on the radar for head coach - perhaps an assistant? If I flipped a coin I'd take link and I think we have a chance with no International jobs on the horizon (depending on the results from this weekend.

Rebels might not be keen to take him, but do you think with the recent VRU ARU takeover of the Rebels their hand may be forced a little?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Link would be incredible.

Rebels could be title contenders in a few years with him. Imagine the huge amount of young talent that would flock to the Rising for the chance to get recognised and promoted into Links squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Oz reported this morning that with White now the favourite to take over the Wobs should Deans get the sack Link is a possibility for the Rebels..........

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sure he can. The Force have moved on significantly, with a new CEO and Coach. This "acrimonious" stuff is ancient history and is only dusted off by the fans when the Rebels and the Force play each other.

I promise you, if JOC (James O'Connor) goes back to Perth, the fans and the club will welcome him back with open arms. I think he fits the Force anyway; every kid in Perth junior rugby had his number on their backs and I suspect JOC (James O'Connor) likes being the big wheel. In Perth, he can be.

Personally, I am thrilled with the young team the Rebels have got, and would back them to develop rather than throw the kitchen sink to keep JOC (James O'Connor).

Sure to the new CEO and coach, but I'd be curious about how the board and the team feel about it.

O'Connor is a dick, but I would have him back. Either as a 15 or moving Godwin to 10 and having O'Connor at 12. Or better still, trialling him at 13. O'Connor would definitely be a better kicker than anyone we currently have.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
i really thought angus roberts looked horrible as a 10. completely out of his depth and lost. he looked better at fullback where he had more time.
but i think he's quite a ways off. a good year or two.

I think it would be impossible to make a call on Angus Roberts as a flyhalf on only the South African games.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
WTF, there was talk of Todd Louden taking over as coach of the Rebels, now Jake White is a favourite for the Wallaby job, and McGahan and Link are now said to be coach of the Rebels next year?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Oz reported this morning that with White now the favourite to take over the Wobs should Deans get the sack Link is a possibility for the Rebels....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/white-wallabies-pick/story-e6frg7o6-1226672821857

The article picks on a key point; Link's stated ambition to coach a national team. With demand for a new national coach (at least for top 10 nations) non-existent I think he may be out of luck. Fairly big gamble quitting without having a job to go to. Can only be good things for the Rebels.

He'd also be good to put a stop to all the rockstar behavior, either by turfing or taming.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would be very interesting to see a potential McKenzie/Louden combination at the Rebels. Given the whispers of Reds players not being so keen on Richard Graham, it could see a number of Reds players head south. Could be the catalyst that takes the Rebels to the finals.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Much as I see the temptation to go for the shiny new coach, especially one such as Ewen, I have been so impressed with the progress the team has made, the style of play we are seeing, and the recruitment outcomes that I think it would be very hard to set aside Hill, Muggles and Cordingley.

Can Hill inject the steel edge Mooney lacked and McKenzie brought? I believe so. That is what is required now. Lessons were learnt this year.

As for McKenzie I fear a short term decision. I strongly believe now is the time to consolidate our culture, to build on the core. How long before Ewen gets called to higher honours he can't refuse?

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
ok so first time post long term reader and all that.

So we are looking like we are going to jetison the knob jockies, beale and JOC (James O'Connor) and after years of being a supporter I say dont let the door hit you on the way out - waste of time and money.

Vuna and Phipps can go, as current squad are as good or better, but we need a fly half. Ok a little left of field but what about Jonny Wilkinson??? sure we cant get him but would be perfect to teach the young boys, would get a lot more british expats to the game and is a good role model, think he won European player of the year. Perfect!!

Or Giteau?? Little bit of the knob jocky problem but sure he has grown up a little.

Failing that we should look to the argies for some hookers and fly halfs.

Jed is going to be a big loss, and delvey will be missed thought not as much on the park.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
ok so first time post long term reader and all that.

So we are looking like we are going to jetison the knob jockies, beale and JOC (James O'Connor) and after years of being a supporter I say dont let the door hit you on the way out - waste of time and money.

Vuna and Phipps can go, as current squad are as good or better, but we need a fly half. Ok a little left of field but what about Jonny Wilkinson??? sure we cant get him but would be perfect to teach the young boys, would get a lot more british expats to the game and is a good role model, think he won European player of the year. Perfect!!

Or Giteau?? Little bit of the knob jocky problem but sure he has grown up a little.

Failing that we should look to the argies for some hookers and fly halfs.

Jed is going to be a big loss, and delvey will be missed thought not as much on the park.

Welcome to the forum, you certainly have some interesting ways of looking at the game and I welcome that too.

Mate, Wilkinson has one foot out the door even for where he is now. We're not a start-up team anymore and I just don't think he's necessary. Plenty of journeymen flyhalfs could offer similar tutelage at a much smaller price. I for one, think you should leave coaching to coaches.

I think we have a good 10 in Hegarty, we just need to put an experienced 12 outside of him to help him grow.

Gitts is not a terrible idea, but he's very much a Brumbies man now and all is forgotten.

I really like the idea of Morgan Turinui, who's doing okay in France. But nobody seems to bite when I float that idea.

As far as Argie 10s go, Ignacio Mieres is quite good and hasn't cracked the big time.

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks en forcer.

Think Jonny is a little more than a Journeyman, and is current fly of the heiniken cup holders. sure we couldn't afford him but if he did want a crack at Southern rugby as i think he has stated before, sure he could get 2 more years out of the old bones with the easy scheduling here compared to Europe. There is no better person in regards to professionalism and team dedication, (well maybe cipriani) to teach young boys like Hegarty.

I do like Hegarty, but he isnt a flagship fly half by any means yet and I fear wont be for another year or two, comparing him to Godwin as some have done is dreaming at this stage.

Morg's could be good, would love benny taps even more.

As we saw against the lions the rebels with out their show boats lack a little fire power and steadiness.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Welcome to the madness...

. There is no better person in regards to professionalism and team dedication, (well maybe cipriani) to teach young boys like Hegarty.

Nearly choked on my Coffee when I saw the words "Cipriani" and "professionalism" in the same sentence. Cipps served a purpose to get some bums on seats in the start-up, but I always thought he was a PITA with his off-field shenanigans. Quite happy when he was released. Now we are established in the comp we need to get win, which will bring more bums to the games.

As for Gits i wouldn't totally rule the idea out. For the right money and opportunity he could be a handy 12 to have on the team, if JOC (James O'Connor) does leave. i tend to agree with the idea of coaches doing the coaching and the players do the playing (with some mentoring); just look at the good work Bernie has done at t he brumbies (With JW of course). All depends if Gits is looking to play on in France, return home with the young family or try something different (coaching). Perhaps even a miracle RWC15 appearance :)

I think a mentor role is probably the best we can accommodate as we already have a backs coach (Nathan Grey). Then again, if we have a change of head coach they might change the support stuff to suit them - who knows.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You guys will want a long term option at 10 and that isn't Giteau and isn't an overseas marquee player. There are a couple of guys who could make great 10s if they could be convinced down. I reckon Ben Volovola could be a good option. Ben Lucas might be a good option if he could be encouraged south. If Sam Lane's knees were good, he would be good value. Can Robbie Coleman play 10? His dad is in Canberra but he isn't getting much game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.