• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I am hoping the prices stay the same, now that the club is owned by the VRU/ARU it will be interesting to see if the packages remain the same.

Would say we will hear something in September about renewing our memberships. They better not change to much as I want the same seats again.

My guess is they will stay the same for the following reasons: 1. We have some cash in the kitty through releasing JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale), 2. They will want to keep prices down because they want to grow the membership base, 3. The ARU are cashed up after the lions tour and 4.

I can't see a imperative for the rebels to increase prices. Without knowing what the bottom line / cashier looks like I can only be the armchair speculator. Prices don't really bother me as I only get blue membership.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My guess is they will stay the same for the following reasons: 1. We have some cash in the kitty through releasing JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale), 2. They will want to keep prices down because they want to grow the membership base, 3. The ARU are cashed up after the lions tour and 4.

I can't see a imperative for the rebels to increase prices. Without knowing what the bottom line / cashier looks like I can only be the armchair speculator. Prices don't really bother me as I only get blue membership.

I am not to worried about the price, it's actually being able to keep my seat. I love where I sit as I can stand and not block anybody's view, out the aisle's you have everything sorted (Bar, toilet and food) and the view is pretty good to ;)

WP_000043.jpg

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I am not to worried about the price, it's actually being able to keep my seat. I love where I sit as I can stand and not block anybody's view, out the aisle's you have everything sorted (Bar, toilet and food) and the view is pretty good to ;)

View attachment 4024

Nice spot you got there. One thing that amazes me about AAMI park is I haven't sat in a bad seat yet.

This was after we beat the highlanders and I tried to snap delveys goal. Clearly the Zoom wasn't working on my camera and it had nothing to do with the consumption of beer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360087.665481.jpg

And the lions match..thank you rebels for getting us good seats.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360154.499776.jpg

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nice spot you got there. One thing that amazes me about AAMI park is I haven't sat in a bad seat yet.

This was after we beat the highlanders and I tried to snap delveys goal. Clearly the Zoom wasn't working on my camera and it had nothing to do with the consumption of beer.

And the lions match..thank you rebels for getting us good seats.

Having spent the first season sitting in all different areas of AAMI park I have to agree that every seat has a good view. Just prefer watching rugby side on than behind the goal.

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
loving the forwards for next year if 1 or 2 of the hookers can stand up, but what we really need is a 10 and 12 of top draw...we should be going hard for Karmichael Hunt and prob gits as well. With those two we are looking top draw. Even if they cant gte one or both we needs a starting/back up 10 and 12. Would love some positive news on this front.

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
We have to have huge room in salary cap, the ARU has been handing over wallaby Top ups galore to the Tahs. Its time for Issey mark 2, operation Hunt!

I understand why we got rid of 2 of the most talented players in Australia. We will have done them both and Australian rugby a huge favor for taking this stance (if they pull their heads in - which i think they will). But now we have lost all our fire power (well most), all our marketing superstars (definitely most) and will really struggle next year on a lot of fronts if we don't do some real signing.

There has been talk of no more superstars, we are going to build the team from with in, lets use the brumbies model. - I say bullshit!!

The brumbies have one of the best coaches in the world (ours is very debatable if he is up to super standard let alone a world cup winner). We don't have a core of hard headed wallabies (actually none at the moment). If we build from with in it will take years, angus is suspect, bryce is maybe going to be good. If we are bottom of the tables for too long and cant make headway in a tuff market we will be in trouble.

Yes our marquee players have all sucked except for Sir Scotty but that doesn't mean we can afford to get arrogant or complacent. We need (and the ARU) needs to make next year count so lets get a couple of serious signings.

K Hunt with his AFL exposure would be news down here, he also killed it in france - i believe playing 5/8. he is the perfect signing!!!

Please make it happen Mr clarke and Cordingly.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
While I agree we are lacking on 'bankable' stars for next season at this stage, throwing big dollars at KH is a huge risk though and I seriously doubt we could outbid the Broncos. I don't doubt the man's talent but there is no guarantee he will be another Izzy either. Those left over dollars should be thrown at established heads or up and coming players, not hyped superstars, has beens or big name code switchers. I'm very glad we didn't sign Benji on that note.

Foley really dudded us by reneging on the deal, he is exactly the sort of player they should be trying to get down here. The force have done well to get their hands on Zack Holmes and Morahan for next year, two players we could have used. The tah's picked up Jono Lance for their already stacked back line too. We should be throwing money at guys like James Hanson, CFS or even the Honey Badger (who I believe is off contract).

I think the Rebs have recruited cleverly for next year so far, getting guys like Toby Smith and Max Lahiff are great ideas to fill some of our weaker spots, if only they could do similar for the back line as it's seriously lacking depth in a few positions.

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah agree foley was a big loss and poor form by the ARU from my perspective.

We should go hard for Robbie Coleman, but even still he has issues in a similar vein to Zack Holmes. Morahan is the goods and definitely would have been a plus. Kingston hopefully will be a great signing. Hanson is a stand out but we seem to never appear on his radar and we have 3 hookers for next year as I understand it.

Agree on Benji, but as far as I can see we have missed the boat on all the Australian guns except the badger (who would be good but is not the answer). So we need to look outside the box.

Argentina????

NZ????? Lima Sopoaga would be choice.

Refs??? maybe glen jackson back out of retirement (probably a joke - he was a better player than he is a ref though)

The Islands??? Not sure if there is a play maker type of the caliber we need who isnt in europe or soup already

AFL??? K Hunt and or long term play on Nick Natanui (ok thats dreaming)

League??? Wouldn't mind thurston or GI but thats not going to happen

Europe - Gits is about the only one I can think of that fits the bill, but would be happy to get the tuilagi bros on mass (ok stop dreaming this is supposed to be our 2014 squad not fantasy rugby)

So whats left - Kids that will take years (years that we don't have)

Cords has by and large done a great job with some real fizzers thrown in, really looking forward to Colby running round in blue. But i really hope he has an ace up his sleeve for next year

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I somehow totally forgot about Tom Kingston, not a bad signing at all and there were some theories about playing mitch at 12 and him at 13 to tighten up the centers, not world beating but stronger than what we have now. Gits still has a year on his French contract I think, but I'd be happy to have him at 12 but not at 10 if does want in next year. Anything else is purely fantasy football, there are some great Argies but the French pay them more than we could etc.

We still desperately need a 10 and probably another outside back, Robbie Coleman would walk in into the starting flyhalf spot but I get the feeling he wants to play under Jake and I can't blame him really. I too doubt Cummins will leave the Force, but there have been some rumours mentioned in a few articles that he's asking a pretty big price now so you never know, he could be the marquee we're looking for and assuming Tony doesn't completely change the style of the Rebs he'd get his hands on the pill a lot more over here too.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jarrod Saffy is heading to France.

Eddie Aholelei is contracted to the Rebels for one more season.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Giteau is one of the top 10 earners in the T14. I doubt he'd come back without an ARU top up and a realistic shot at the wallaby 12 jersey.

Meanwhile Sam Lane signs in france. Another flyhalf heads overseas whilst Rebels are still without anyone but hegarty. One wonders if they are in talks to poach one of the next crop of youngsters, like Horowitz or Greene.

Going on current recruitment trends I expect to see them sign a Kiwi halfway through the NPC season. Lima Sopoaga always struck me as a bloke that could be brilliant one day, he reminds me of Quade Cooper Circia 2008 at the moment.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i suppose it is possible the financial situation at the rebels is more dire than we are led to believe. they may not have any money for a high profile or for that matter low profile flyhalf.
i hope Saffy stays but you can understand why if he went OS for the money.

the foley business now just looks worse and worse.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The heart of the problem really is depth in Australian Rugby.

We have 3 top quality flyhalves in Cooper, To'omua and Foley; as well as Holmes. But we don't have 5.

NZ is much the same, they have Carter, Cruden and Barrett. Slade also as the forth, but like the rebels, the highlanders struggle to sign a top flyhalf.

The task for the rebels is creating depth by taking a calculated punt on up and comers, like the force did with O'Connor all those years ago. In the meantime a club player or a league player will have to do.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This whole scenario over Foley quite depresses me: WTF didn't he grab the opportunity to get first choice game time at 10 for the Rebels? God knows we need the best players to be playing regularly in their best positions in Oz rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.