• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A big problem with membership shirts/hoodies is that they need to be produced in about eight sizes for men and four or more sizes for women.

Then, there will no doubt be a shit load of people trying to exchange them for a different size within days of them being sent out.

Hats/scarves = one size = less cost, less fuss.

I wouldn't mind having a choice between a cap and a beanie though or even alternating caps and beanies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, clubs need to alternate between a hat, shirt and scarf.. People don't like getting the same item each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this sentiment. I'd prefer one good item each year rather than a few average items.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Not surprised his leaving, just that he chose Japan over France really. Offer Jones and McMahon extensions till 2019 please.

Nor am I. I'm guess he was thinking about it post RWC, but with another injury on the EOYT he probably considered longevity was a concern and needed to make hay whilst the sun was shining. Good luck to you and thanks for the good work you've done down in Mexico.

The burning questions/thoughts:

1. Jones/McMahon - yes get the signed up quickly for long-term deals
2. The Number 8 jesery for 2016. Think Jonsey and Timani are in a race for this one
3. Skipper - do you look at swapping captains for this season or next? Who do you look at a replacement captain? Little Red did a good job in the Rising, but is he ready for the step up to Super level? Is he likely to play a full 80min, or even in some cases get a start? This could be beneficial;l for Scott as it will free him up jsut to focus on playing himself into for for RWC.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Inman looks a likely option for the next captain, McMahon may also be a possibility

Inman is finally going to have competition for the 12/13 jersey, could not be giving the captaincy to someone who is not going to be a certain starter.

Burgess will be leaving at the end of the season, so hopefully little ranger is a confirmed starter by then.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shattered he's leaving, thought he would have another 2 years in him before leaving, it's a shame he will never really live up to his huge potential. We really only saw it reached at times in 2013 but it was cut short by injury. Can't blame him though, he's seeing the writing on the wall with the young talent coming through.

I think the captaincy should change immediately as Higgers had a bit of a shocker as captain last year anyway. The question is to who? I think Stirzacker would make a fine captain, but maybe not until 2016 when Burgess leaves too and he becomes a certain starter. Inman and Jones are great players but don't really strike me as having the grey matter for the job. Is Inman even a guaranteed starter now with Aussie Mike and Tamati a potential centre pairing?

Sean McMahon has huge potential but is too young, wouldn't mind seeing him as VC though, left field option could be someone like Aussie Mike, plenty of experience, guaranteed starter and has a level head. Toby Smith could also as he has the right qualities but again props rarely play 80. I can't think of anyone else in the forwards who would be suitable and a guaranteed starter at this stage. Neville is a guaranteed starter but doesn't strike me as a leader. Maybe Colby is a bolter? He's got leadership experience and dumper seems to be a big fan of him.

My guess is Higgers will keep it this year with Stirzacker or Colby taking over in 2016.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see why you'd change the captain this season because he's leaving at the end of the year.

Pick the best man for the job each and every season.

If you pick a new captain for 2015 on the basis that you think they'll be the best captain in 2016 it's just as likely to backfire by anointing the wrong player.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't see why you'd change the captain this season because he's leaving at the end of the year.

Pick the best man for the job each and every season.

If you pick a new captain for 2015 on the basis that you think they'll be the best captain in 2016 it's just as likely to backfire by anointing the wrong player.

Because he was a bad captain last year that was overly carded and made hot headed decisions? The point could be argued his actions and choices lost a couple of close games. If there was another obvious candidate I would have been calling for it anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because he was a bad captain last year that was overly carded and made hot headed decisions? The point could be argued his actions and choices lost a couple of close games. If there was another obvious candidate I would have been calling for it anyway.

I agree that would be the reason for change, not the fact that he's leaving.

I still think he should be captain for 2015 for the Rebels. I think Stirzacker or McMahon will be captain in 2016 but I think it's too early for either of them to captain the team this year.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I suspect Stirzacker won't be captain. While I'm clearly not privvy to the inner workings on or off the field, he hasn't struck me as either a particularly positive communicator or a player that leads by example. His brain farts and petulance were still on show for the Rising. I thought the recent gig as skipper was more of a development opportunity for him.

Fuglistaller and Fainga'a are others in the leadership group and strike me as good options. Clearly we're going to have to resolve the logjam of 7s and 6.5s we're currently carrying!

Inman is in the same boat, IMO. Competition should bring out the best in him but he'll have some quality players gunning for his spot.

McMahon is a bolter, but after seeing the impact of captaincy on Hooper's game I have less reservations about giving it to a youngster.

Who knows what this season will bring. knowing the captaincy is up for grabs in 2016 may spur a few roughies into greater responsibility and quality!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Fuglistaller and Fainga'a are others in the leadership group and strike me as good options. Clearly we're going to have to resolve the logjam of 7s and 6.5s we're currently carrying!

McMahon is a bolter, but after seeing the impact of captaincy on Hooper's game I have less reservations about giving it to a youngster.

Both Colby and McMahon have captained Australia at U20s (maybe U19s in Colby's case) and if you think Hooper is a youngster, remember that Colby was his captain when they played for Aus so would presumably also fit the youngster description.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Disagree about his being a bolter, I think he's a natural captain.

Colby is arguably even more so - but McMahon is more likely to be starting in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.