• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Courier Mail is reporting Liam Gill being keen to join the Rebels.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cmailunion

WFT?

We've got the most over-stacked backrow in Australia. Out locks are flankers and we can't fit all of them on the team, let alone with a quality young player like Gill joining. McMahon is being forced to play out of position as it is.

We're losing Higgers next year, but I thought that swapping Timani back to 8 would be the logical step.

Who is off contract?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure what the contract situation is for all but assuming they're all on-board for 2016 we'll have:

Fainga'a
Reid
Fuglistaller
Timani
McMahon
Samo*.

None of them are a 'natural' blindside, but that doesn't seem to be hurting us too much at the moment. There's a lot of talent there and on current form I guess Fug would be the obvious casualty of a Gill recruitment.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Never going to object to talent but we've got 4 Super Rugby quality opensides, 3 of which are contracted next season and the other is in the form of his life. Trying to get an 8, or a lock, or both, might be a better use of our money, unless we could negotiate a Cummins/Foley/McCalman type deal for Higgers.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgers will be back in a year or two. Maybe they can snag him on a similar deal to those others? Wish he would hang around as he is probably coming into his prime now. It would be in the ARUs best interests to try and do the same.

D

daz

Agree to the general sentiment. Gill is a real talent, but unless someone is leaving that we don't know about, we have a plethora of flankers itching for game time already.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree to the general sentiment. Gill is a real talent, but unless someone is leaving that we don't know about, we have a plethora of flankers itching for game time already.

At least one more backrower to come too. If rumours are true.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Browning would be my guess. Would be a tragedy for the Reds if true, but a great pickup for the ForceRebels. A strong number 8 would be great for the Rebels.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Browning would be my guess. Would be a tragedy for the Reds if true, but a great pickup for the Force. A strong number 8 would be great for the Rebels.

would definitely be a sensational pickup for the Force, potentially the sneakiest one of the century. Only way I can see it happening though Ash is if Browning boards a plane to Perth and not Melbourne accidentally at Brisbane airport!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
would definitely be a sensational pickup for the Force, potentially the sneakiest one of the century. Only way I can see it happening though Ash is if Browning boards a plane to Perth and not Melbourne accidentally at Brisbane airport!

Typo, Force on the mind tonight! Sorry, Rebels!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Browning would be my guess. Would be a tragedy for the Reds if true, but a great pickup for the ForceRebels. A strong number 8 would be great for the Rebels.

On this occasion Ash I would have to disagree. Timani will/would be a much stronger No 8 than Browning is atm or perhaps is likely to be. I thought he (Browning) was a standout at U20s but he hasn't really kicked on in the last couple of years, even allowing for injuries. Similar to a lot of Reds back rowers, I think he is just too small to make the big time.

Reactions: gel
T

TOCC

These backrower rumours don't make much sense, yes higgers is leaving but Melbourne still has a fair bit of depth and talent in these positions... If all the rumours play out then Melbourne is going to be quite overstocked on backrowers, which means they will be short in other positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ultimately, we need at least a tighthead, a lock, a number 8 and a halfback to replace PAE, Neville, Higgenbotham and Burgess, in the squad if not the 23, with other direct replacements to come as players retire or move on. Any other talent will just be improving on what we already have.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
On this occasion Ash I would have to disagree. Timani will/would be a much stronger No 8 than Browning is atm or perhaps is likely to be. I thought he (Browning) was a standout at U20s but he hasn't really kicked on in the last couple of years, even allowing for injuries. Similar to a lot of Reds back rowers, I think he is just too small to make the big time.
The guy is 21. How about we let him develop in Super Rugby before we write the bloke off, considering he has acquired 11 caps since 2013.

Also, 190cm, 110kg - hardly 'small' by backrower standards.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
with regards to all the "too many" backrowers comments, it is just possible McMahon might have signalled his intention to join the 7's program for 2016, Reid is off contract (i think) and he also might have decided to move on, although i really, really hope not. and after all these are just rumours about Browning and Gill. What we really need is another centre to cover Ellison the year after. and to hang onto Hegarty, who once agin proved an admirable replacement on Friday night.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Fairly sure Sean is signed through to the end of 2017, so wouldn't that preclude him from joining the 7's team? Not sure how the can/will arrange for swap inn/outs if they have already signed, considering Bill's position on this.

Has anyone also considered Gill my be 'shopping' himself to Melbourne to re-negotiate a better deal with the Rebs. It's not unheard of to do so and I don't think it paints Liam's character in any negative way (not would I suggest this). I think we have a good stock of flankers and need to concentrate on the other key positions mentioned in the thread already before we target another one. Liam is a good talent that I think will stay loyal to the Reds in the immediate future.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The guy is 21. How about we let him develop in Super Rugby before we write the bloke off, considering he has acquired 11 caps since 2013.

Also, 190cm, 110kg - hardly 'small' by backrower standards.

But he seems to me to play a whole lot smaller than his stats.

Reactions: gel

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fairly sure Sean is signed through to the end of 2017, so wouldn't that preclude him from joining the 7's team? Not sure how the can/will arrange for swap inn/outs if they have already signed, considering Bill's position on this.

Has anyone also considered Gill my be 'shopping' himself to Melbourne to re-negotiate a better deal with the Rebs. It's not unheard of to do so and I don't think it paints Liam's character in any negative way (not would I suggest this). I think we have a good stock of flankers and need to concentrate on the other key positions mentioned in the thread already before we target another one. Liam is a good talent that I think will stay loyal to the Reds in the immediate future.

i was under the impression that a player could take a "sabbatical" in the 7's program for the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.