• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Placid to replace Woodward and Roberts must be the thinking behind this move. Which would make Harris a center and our back line looking ok.

9: Brugess/Stirzaker/Meehan
10: Hegarty
11: English
12: Harris
13: Inman
14: Kingston/Veainu
15: Placid/Debreczeni

Mitchell on the Bench to cover 11-15

That's what I'd describe as a balanced backline with heaps of potential.

I don't think Debreczeni is being looked at as anything more than cover at 15 though?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Placid is surely in the same boat as Debreczeni though. Both young and inexperienced players.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's what I'd describe as a balanced backline with heaps of potential.

I don't think Debreczeni is being looked at as anything more than cover at 15 though?
I like the balance as well, with Harris at 12 you have two play makers and don't need cover for 10 on the bench.

I think Debreczeni is looked at as cover for 10/15. Hope he gets some game time in the last 3 rounds so we can get a better look at his ability.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like the balance as well, with Harris at 12 you have two play makers and don't need cover for 10 on the bench.

I think Debreczeni is looked at as cover for 10/15. Hope he gets some game time in the last 3 rounds so we can get a better look at his ability.

If I was Debreczeni I'd be aiming to be Mike Harris 2.0. Shadow him well young Jack.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How did we get our hands on Placid? Brilliant bit of recruiting. Also a pretty good indication that the Reds are after one, or both, of Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't mind being Connacht.

But it'd be nice if they'd come out and admit it.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

That would be an awful idea, Melbourne likes winners. Also, we have a decent budget (we just don't spend it well enough to win).

Also, even Connacht is trying to shake being Connacht of late.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not being an avid follower of NH rugby let alone Pro12, i assume Connacht are the perennial losers in Irish rugby, or is there more to this ? KevinO ? anyone ?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While I'm far from completely in the know of the historical circumstances, Connacht is the smallest and weakest of the 4 Irish provinces that make up the IRFU for many reasons, but partially due to Small Player base and popularity of GAA.

For a long time, they've been a "development" side for Ireland, and receive a number of exemption to the international restrictions the other 3 do, allowing them to recruit a number of foreign players.

Sounds a little bit familiar to me :p

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
While I'm far from completely in the know of the historical circumstances, Connacht is the smallest and weakest of the 4 Irish provinces that make up the IRFU for many reasons, but partially due to Small Player base and popularity of GAA.

For a long time, they've been a "development" side for Ireland, and receive a number of exemption to the international restrictions the other 3 do, allowing them to recruit a number of foreign players.

Sounds a little bit familiar to me :p
yes i see all too clearly

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes, it's a massive GAA area. Also not to many clubs in the Irish top division either.

Although Connacht is really used as a development side, it's mainly the players choose to go there to get a game rather than sit behind someone at the big 3 waiting for a chance. They normally leave as soon as the others come looking.

They don't have any different international exceptions, Munster and Leinster just manage to hang onto Irish players once they have them, just look at how many of the Irish team are in France. Only Sexton.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That's interesting, I didn't know that they were under the same rules as the other 3.

I thought that Munster, Leinster and Ulster could only have 15 between them, each with a nominated position (I.e. one hooker, one openside flanker, one fly half, etc.), whereas Connacht could have a few more, and they didn't have to do that mix and match thing.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
IRFU does have control of contracts, that's them calling the shots regarding positions and why it plays out that way. They make sure any international player signed is going to benefit the development of Irish rugby, so the likes of DC would never have been allowed to sign for a Irish team.

Dougie was nearly sent packing before arriving at Munster over the damaged cars in London.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
They don't have any different international exceptions, Munster and Leinster just manage to hang onto Irish players once they have them, just look at how many of the Irish team are in France. Only Sexton.

Connacht have been operating under a new programme of structural and performance development agreed with the IRFU since the 2013-14 season; that is, have a different set of rules to the big three provinces.

Rob Penney recently had a little whinge about it here...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...g-may-not-be-good-for-irish-rugby-267758.html

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This is the one I remember reading at the time:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/16289724

The Irish Rugby Football Union has introduced regulations which will mean only one non-Irish qualified player is allowed to play across the 15 positions for Ulster, Leinster and Munster.

Under the new regime, if an overseas player such as Ruan Pienaar played for Ulster, then Leinster and Munster would be unable to sign foreign scrum-halves.
The objective is to deliver at least two experienced Irish players in all 15 field positions for the Ireland team.
The changes will take effect in 2013.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So back on to Rebel talk...

Looks like burgess has recovered from his injury much faster than predicted and now is in camp wallaby. Looks like someone's whisper about his return time was right. Timely too, want him to weave the same magic against a reds outfit with no quade or will.

D

daz

Just FYI, that Growden "scoop" about Inman looking to jump ship and potentially head to France was completely blown out of all proportion and has little to no bearing on current reality.

It was nothing but another bit of classic GG "journalism". Print the stitch up and don't bother checking the facts.

Reactions: Tex

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So back on to Rebel talk.

Looks like burgess has recovered from his injury much faster than predicted and now is in camp wallaby. Looks like someone's whisper about his return time was right. Timely too, want him to weave the same magic against a reds outfit with no quade or will.

A lot faster than the Rebels said, not faster than he predicted. Can't see him getting a run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.