• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Any word on where Cockbain and Hedger are departing to? Or were they just let go?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bruce Ross is gonna lose his shit with Todd Louden now in a super rugby setup.

And me. Bloody good news for your mob. You may hit the jackpot with Todd, trusting that Totality Tony temporarily terminates the terrible Totality tactics.

T

Train Without a Station

Think someone said Sean Hedger is off to Bond University. As for lab, dunno.

I hope there's a reason for coming to QLD because that's a fucked career move. At best it may extend to coaching QLD country, but most likely in an assistant capacity.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I hope there's a reason for coming to QLD because that's a fucked career move. At best it may extend to coaching QLD country, but most likely in an assistant capacity.

Someone hinted at the fact it may be around 200,000 reasons, but I cannot substantiate that. Apparently Bond University are wanting to build up their Rugby program and gain some more on-field success. I think it's hidden in the Melbourne Rising thread.

As for Lab I think it was a case of not seeing eye to eye with TT. I'd imagine he would be looking for coaching work in Australia.

T

Train Without a Station

It's good coin but if you harbor aspirations of being a Super Rugby head coach it's putting yourself backwards 5 years.

That's not the salary though. There are other parts of the remuneration. I wonder if the alleged education allowance is perhaps something that is a factor, and he in fact doesn't harbor aspirations of being a Super Rugby Head Coach but perhaps a CEO or something similar.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's good coin but if you harbor aspirations of being a Super Rugby head coach it's putting yourself backwards 5 years.

That's not the salary though. There are other parts of the remuneration. I wonder if the alleged education allowance is perhaps something that is a factor, and he in fact doesn't harbor aspirations of being a Super Rugby Head Coach but perhaps a CEO or something similar.
If he doesn't get on well with Tony, which seems like a possibility, he may have wanted to get out. Assuming there weren't any assistant positions available to him it's not a bad move, get some further education without being too far removed from the scene when the inevitable coaching change up happens post world cup.

T

Train Without a Station

Mate if everybody left their jobs and took a step backwards because they didn't get on well with their boss nobody's careers would progress.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Generally yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't instances where it happens and works out for them. Also depending on the package and any potential study he maybe doing it could be seen more as a step sideways then a step backwards.

T

Train Without a Station

He's going to coach the team which has been the bottom of QLD premier rugby for something like 7 seasons. If he aspires to coach professionally, it's a step backwards.

There is two NRC teams which are coached by Reds assistant coaches and therefore if he is involved there, it will be as an assistant.

There is no way this move isn't backwards if he aspires to be a professional coach. At best he may be able to progress to an assistant coach of the Reds over time.

He may have other motivations though.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder if part of Louden's brief is to be the Rising head coach next season?

do you think? How many Super Rugby assistant coaches have come through the system to become Super Rugby head coach? Only Larkham?

Wasn't Link an assistant at the Brumbies at one point?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I think he went player, to assistant coach Brums to assistant coach Wallabies.

T

Train Without a Station

Just had a little look.

Richard Graham
Assistant Coach at Bath (02-06)
Assistant Coach at Saracens (07-08)
Head Coach at Saracens (09)
Assistant Coach at Wallabies (09-10)
Head Coach at Western Force (10-12)
Assistant Coach at Reds (13)
Head Coach at Reds (14)

Michael Foley
Forward Coach at Bath (01-06)
Assistant Coach at Wallabies (06-08)
Assistant Coach at Waratahs (09-11)
Head Coach at Waratahs (12)
Head Coach at Western Force (13-14)

Michael Cheika
Assistant Coach at Padova (99-00)
Head Coach at Randwick (01-05)
Head Coach at Leinster (05-10)
Head Coach at Stade Fraincais (10-12)
Head Coach at Waratahs (13-Present)

Damien Hill
Development Officer at Brumbies (99)
Coaching and Development Manager at Brumbies (00-01)
Coaching Co-ordinator at Suntory (02-06)
Director of Coaching at Sydney University (06-10)
Assistant Coach at Rebels (11)
Head Coach at Rebels (12-13)

Stephen Larkham
Assistant Coach at Brumbies (11-13)
Head Coach at Brumbies (14)

Tony McGahan
Unknown coaching positions in Japan (05-06)
Defence coach at Munster (06-??)
Director of Rugby at Munster (??-12)
Coaching Co-ordinator at Wallabies (12-13)
Head Coach at Melbourne Rebels (14)

Ewen McKenzie
Assistant Coach at Brumbies (98-00)
Assistant Coach at Wallabies (00-03)
Head Coach at Waratahs (03-08)
Head Coach at Stade Francais (08-09)
Head Coach at Reds (10-13)
Head Coach at Wallabies (13-Present)

Almost every coach had a role at a Super Rugby/Japan/Top 15/Pro D12/Aviva Premiership team which lead to a head coaching role. Even Cheika had been an assistant coach at Padova prior to his time at Randwick. My point was that really to get to a Head Coach role, he would have to perform at Bond, then go back to where he was again.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce Ross is gonna lose his shit with Todd Louden now in a super rugby setup.
You've nailed it, Oz.

I fearlessly predict that the Rebels will be the great improvers in 2015. A fairly safe bet given that Todd Louden has improved the position of every team he has coached or been assistant coach of for each of the years he has been coaching. I do not know of any coach anywhere who could make the same claim

Why Louden has been systematically passed over for every Super level position in Australia for so long is a mystery, although I suspect that someone may have been going out of their way to put the slows on him. Just a gut feeling.

Having worked very closely with him in his two stints at Sydney Uni I know that no coach could put more hours in, have a better analytical grasp of our sport or be more innovative than Louden. The Rebels players will learn a huge amount under his guidance.

The combination with Totality Tony will work well. Members here might remember me being the first to sing TT's praises although some people falsely assumed I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

I now have even more reason to support the Rebels as my out-of-town club.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What role will Louden undertake at the Rebels? Attack?
His coaching appointment is great news. The more well-credentialed Aussie coaches involved in Australian rugby, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.