• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Smith
2. Horie
3. PAE
4. Jones
5. Neville
6. McMahon
7. Fainga'a
8. Higginbotham
9. Burgess
10. Harris
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Crawford
15. Hegarty

16. Leafa
17. Ah-Nau
18. Weeks
19. Jeffries
20. Timani
21. Stirzaker
22. Debreczeni
23. Kingston

Sexton, Lahiff, Metcher, Cummins, Fuglistaller, Reid, Meehan, Shipperly, Naivalu, Placid and Telusa outside the 23. Don't know if Sa'u is coming back, and I'd like another Lock for squad purposes.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My pick for round 1

1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. PAE
4. Jones
5. Neville
6. McMahon
7. Fainga'a/Fugistaller
8. Higgers
9. Burgo
10. JD
11. Shipperly
12. Harris
13. Inman
14. English
15. Hegarty

16. Sexton
17. Aa Nau
18. Weeks
19. Jeffries
20. Fainga'a/Fugistaller
21. Stirzaker
22. Kingston
23. Placid

I am going to assume the two from Japan won't be back with enough time to be ready for Round 1. Japanese final is only a week before the start of Super rugby. Would consider taking a extra back row instead of Placid/Kingston

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I think JD and Hegarty are fairly interchangeable with the ball in hand, but Jack's howitzer boot is an asset at fullback. Remember the advantage we had when Gerrardo was playing? So much territory gained.

The priority is going to be re-signing McMahon. He will be hot property when he comes off contract. It's a great problem to have as many competitive players, but it will inevitably mean blokes leaving for game time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He already got a 2 year extension to take him to 2016. But I'd be happy to give him another 2 at the end of this year again.

Reactions: Tex

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think JD and Hegarty are fairly interchangeable with the ball in hand, but Jack's howitzer boot is an asset at fullback. Remember the advantage we had when Gerrardo was playing? So much territory gained.

The priority is going to be re-signing McMahon. He will be hot property when he comes off contract. It's a great problem to have as many competitive players, but it will inevitably mean blokes leaving for game time.

Would he really be hot property? He's a 7 despite playing at 6. His height will always count against him at 6. Tahs have Hooper, Reds have Gill, Brumbies have Pocock, and Force have Hodgson (not for long).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Oh dear good old McMahon. He is the perfect notta, not a 6 nit a 7 not an 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh dear good old McMahon. He is the perfect notta, not a 6 nit a 7 not an 8.

Is a bit of a notta becoming the new 7?

Whilst you wouldn't call Hooper a notta, he doesn't play like a traditional 7.

McMahon flourished there during the NRC and I don't see his game changing greatly between 6 and 7 and I see him working out in both spots nicely as he keeps moving up to bigger and better things.

South Africa have been unreceptive towards their best pilfering 7; Heinrich Brussouw over several coaches and generally prefer Marcel Coetzee who has a more all around game.

Given referees are favouring the attacking team more in the last couple of years it seems that the traditional pilfering openside is becoming less fashionable.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
BH i agree, i would like to see a back row of Jones, Higginbotham and McMahon, even given that Fuglistaller has been great for the Rebs and Faainga also played well for them at both 6 and 7 last year. nice problems for TT especially if Timani can continue to improve

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. PAE
4. Jones
5. Neville
6. McMahon
7. Fainga'a
8. Higgers
9. Burgo
10. JD
11. Shipperly
12. Harris
13. Inman
14. English
15. Placid

For round one. Will take this team half a season to find their feet but should come good eventually. Very big backline.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
placid is NOT super rugby ready yet, can't pass, option taking is questionable and defence needs work ( a lot actually) some bench time and appearances later in the year, yes, but not a starter yet.

would think crawford, kingston and hegarty would be ahead of him at 15

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
placid is NOT super rugby ready yet, can't pass, option taking is questionable and defence needs work ( a lot actually) some bench time and appearances later in the year, yes, but not a starter yet.

would think crawford, kingston and hegarty would be ahead of him at 15

Totally forgot the rebs had signed crawford. He should start, he's the best outside back you have.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Give the guy a break, his only 20 years old and just had the biggest year of any first year Super player for a long time.

Super Rugby debut
Rebels Rookie of the year
Australian Rookie of the year
NRC Best player
Rising Best Player
Australian U20 captain
Commonwealth games
Wallabies debut

All in his first year of senior rugby, does not matter if his a 6 or 7 yet, what matters is the kid has potential and both the Wallabies and Rebels need this kind of positive news to take off and not the same old negative crap we have to put up with.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Give the guy a break, his only 20 years old and just had the biggest year of any first year Super player for a long time.

Super Rugby debut
NRC Best player
Rising Best Player
Australian U20 captain
Commonwealth games
Wallabies debut

All in his first year of senior rugby, does not matter if his a 6 or 7 yet, what matters is the kid has potential and both the Wallabies and Rebels need this kind of positive news to take off and not the same old negative crap we have to put up with.

Couldn't put it better.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Super Rugby debut
NRC Best player
Rising Best Player
Australian U20 captain
Commonwealth games
Wallabies debut

I love him as a player I think his great, Im not having a go, but seriously some caution needs to be displayed. He had a great game against the BarBar's.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
great to see Tom English get a run for the BaaBaa's last night against Leicster Tigers and score a try.
Big question for me is, where did he get the Melbourne Uni socks from ?
;)

T

Train Without a Station

Jonesy probably had them shipped over. In fact knowing Jonesy he probably flew them over himself just to make sure they got there.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
great to see Tom English get a run for the BaaBaa's last night against Leicster Tigers and score a try.
;)

He played in the club 7's or 10's a couple of years ago for them.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
;)

Assuming this made it on Fox somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.