• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't make sense to me on a couple of fronts.

First, is it credible that Cheika would promise a Leaguie one of the rich rewards available to the loyal players who remain here, just to get him to sign up for one of the franchises?

And if he did, would a coach worth his salt even consider taking someone who hasn't played the game recently over those who have given their all for their Super Rugby sides all year and longer?

Surely, this is all just a beat up, or Cheika has well and truly overstepped the mark by making such a promise.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Doesn't make sense to me on a couple of fronts.

First, is it credible that Cheika would promise a Leaguie one of the rich rewards available to the loyal players who remain here, just to get him to sign up for one of the franchises?

And if he did, would a coach worth his salt even consider taking someone who hasn't played the game recently over those who have given their all for their Super Rugby sides all year and longer?

Surely, this is all just a beat up, or Cheika has well and truly overstepped the mark by making such a promise.
He's also taking me and my daughter's pet rabbit. No, Cheika hasn't lost his mind at all...

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Well, the Australian wingers can't blame to him. This is their fault, the ARU sought a top athlete because the current wingers are poor.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell are old and can't play the next World Cup

Joe Tomane, the best Aussie winger in the last Super Rugby seasons, is injured and is going to France. Others players have had the opportunity and couldn't shine at test level like Henry Speight, DHP, Rob Horne.

Now Speigth have another chance to prove that he's a top class winger and Naivalu will have the opportunity to prove that he can be the Wallabies winger in South Africa and then in Twickenham before the November window.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would love to see the Rebels get a cheeky steal and sign Sam Ward next year.

The bloke wouldn't be expensive, and he has a 'skill profile' that none of the Rebels looseys have (we sure do love signing opensiders).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, the Australian wingers can't blame to him. This is their fault, the ARU sought a top athlete because the current wingers are poor.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell are old and can't play the next World Cup

Joe Tomane, the best Aussie winger in the last Super Rugby seasons, is injured and is going to France. Others players have had the opportunity and couldn't shine at test level like Henry Speight, DHP, Rob Horne.

Now Speigth have another chance to prove that he's a top class winger and Naivalu will have the opportunity to prove that he can be the Wallabies winger in South Africa and then in Twickenham before the November window.
Speight is past his best so let us look forward - the two 2017 Fijian rebel wingers are in box seat for wallaby wing places. And the other league guy with union pedigree who play for the doggies in league and playing for force next year look our best immediate prospects. Longer term that newsome kid has pace so might be something there.

Pity Rebels did not get kerevi and cooper as would have otherwise be awesome backline for 2017.

Gees old Deb has lost his way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
This bloke looks like a matchup nightmare! Who do teams mark up on him with? He's faster than all of them, bigger than 90% of them and can lay on a bloody impressive hit.

Tell me he doesn't look like the perfect non-kicking winger?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This bloke looks like a matchup nightmare! Who do teams mark up on him with? He's faster than all of them, bigger than 90% of them and can lay on a bloody impressive hit.

Tell me he doesn't look like the perfect non-kicking winger?

And tell me he won't bring bums on seats - time to get back our union boys from league

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Pity Rebels did not get kerevi and cooper as would have otherwise be awesome backline for 2017.

Any decent 10 would do

9) Stirzaker
10) Meehan/Debs
11) Sefa
12) Hodge
13) Inman/English
14) Koroibete
15) Shipperly

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The problem isn't when he's in space, it's finding him the space (and him being talented enough to run the line/get himself in the position to exploit it).

I'd be surprised if he gets it from Day 1, but I hope he does.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Melbourne Rising injury update following Round 2 v Queensland Country brought to you by Wilson Medic One:
Jonah Placid (head): Test
Dom Shipperley (knee): 2 – 4 weeks
Fereti Sa’aga (hamstring): 3 – 5 weeks
Laurie Weeks (elbow): 6 – 8 weeks
Mitch Inman (hand): 6 – 8 weeks
Colby Fainga’a (knee): indefinitely
Jack Maddocks (illness): indefinitely

Answers questions about some

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, and was talking to a mate who's a ref and said he played 10 for BH a lot and did pretty well.

Yeah, that's not true. He may have found himself there in phase play.

Check out the tries at 0:14 seconds, 1:02, 2:16, 2:29, 3:01, 3:09, 4:06, 4:24, 6:51.

This does not look like a man who needs others to find him space
All wingers need someone to find them space, you have to execute on the inside to create options on the outside.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would love to see the Rebels get a cheeky steal and sign Sam Ward next year.

The bloke wouldn't be expensive, and he has a 'skill profile' that none of the Rebels looseys have (we sure do love signing opensiders).

Cracking player; did a Rebels pre-season in 2014/2015 as well so the coaching staff are familiar with him. Good shout.

Woodward could be heading to the UK, would be a good signing if he came back to Melbourne. Won't happen now that he screwed up his chance to continue here.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...son-woodward/story-29690609-detail/story.html

He didn't screw up his chance at all; in the same vein as Hegarty, his contract offer was not reflective of his place in the team in terms of both length and remuneration. There were also health reasons for him and his British wife to return to NZ, in regards to healthcare systems & access etc.

Any decent 10 would do

9) Stirzaker
10) Meehan/Debs
11) Sefa
12) Hodge
13) Inman/English
14) Koroibete
15) Shipperly

Dom isn't a 15, unfortunately. With Crawford, Asquith and Hawkins all released, and Harris heading to France, there is not a lot of depth there; Maddocks, Placid, Hodge & Debreczeni the options as it stands. Wouldn't mind looking at Tom Banks from QLD Country personally, has played a bit of Super Rugby with the Reds and isn't contracted for next year, but also has a bit of size and experience behind him as opposed to being another rookie.

Another player who I would be very interested in is Andrew Horrell, released by the Chiefs and I think currently playing in Japan but hunting a Super Rugby deal. Very experienced utility who is still young enough to maybe crack the Wallabies in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.