• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Contracted for 2017 and Beyond

Props
Cruze Ah-Nau (2017)
Toby Smith (2017)
Laurie Weeks (2019)
Tyrel Lomax (2018) (New - Brumbies/Australia U20s)
Tim Metcher (???)
Tom Moloney (???)

Hookers
James Hanson (2017)
Pat Leafa (2017)
Siliva Siliva (2017)
Jordan Uelese (2017) (New- Melbourne Uni/Rebels U20s/Aus U20s)

Locks
Steve Cummins (2017)
Sam Jeffries (2018)
Culum Retallick** (2017)
Lopeti Timani (2019) (Re-signed 11/01/17)
Alex Toolis (2018) (New- Edinburgh)
Dominic Day (2017) (New)

Backrowers
Colby Fainga’a (2018)
Rob Leota (2019)
Sean McMahon (2017)
Jordy Reid (2017)
Amanaki Mafi* (2017) (New- NTT/Bath/Japan)
Harley Fox (???)
Jake Schatz (2017) (New - Reds)

Scrum Halves
Ben Meehan (2017)
Nic Stirzaker (2017)
Mick Snowden (???)

Fly Halves
Jack Debreczeni (2017)
Jack McGregor (2018) (New- NSW Schoolboys 2015)
Jackson Garden-Bachop (2018) (New - Wellington Lions)

Centers
Mitch Inman (2017)
Sione Tuipulotu (2019)
Dennis Pili-Gaitau (2017) (New - North Harbour Rays/Manly)

Back Three
Tom English (2018)
Marika Koroibete (2018) (New- Melbourne Storm)
Sefanaia Naivalu (2019)
Jonah Placid (2017)
Jack Maddocks (2018 - New- NSW Gen Blue/Eastern Suburbs)
Pama Fou – (2017) (New - Souths (QLD)/Australia Sevens)
Dom Shipperley (2017)
Kentaro Kodama (2017) (New - Panasonic Wild Knights)

Utility Backs
Reece Hodge (2020)
Ben Volavola (2017)*

Departures

Props
Ryan Cocker** (Returned to Taranaki)
Jamie Hagan* (2017) (???)
Locks
Luke Jones (Bordeaux)
Backrowers
Scott Fuglistaller (Toyota Industries)
Adam Thomson* (Returned to Canon Eagles)
Halves
Dan Hawkins **** (Returned to Northland)
Dallan Murphy ***** (Returned to Brothers (QLD))
Centers
Tamati Ellison* (Returned to Rico Black Rams)
Back 3
Cam Crawford
Kotaro Matsushima ***** (Returned to Suntory)
Utility Backs
Paul Asquith **** (Returned to Rams/Southern Districts (QLD))
Mike Harris (Lyon)

*- Foreign International
**- Foreign Development
***- Supplementary or Development Contract
****- EPS Contract
*****- Short term contract

Update 1, 18/05/16: Sione and Rob sign extensions to 2019
Update 2, 19/05/16: Koroibete departure from Storm announced
Update 3, 27/06/16: Jack Maddocks rejects cricket and signs a 2 year deal
Update 4, 19/07/16: Tyrel Lomax signs a 2 year deal
Update 5, 22/07/16, Alex Toolis signs a 2 year deal
Update 6, 23/07/16 Fox Sports confirm Pama Fou signing
Update 7, 2/08/16 Jordan Uelese signs a 1 year deal
Update 8, 4/08/16 Amanaki Mafi signs a 1 year Japanese marquee deal
Update 9, 24/08/16 Missed Dominic Day on a 1 year contract, also Dom resigns for 2017
Update 10, 4/11/16: Rebels "Finalise" 2017 Squad with signing of Bishop-Gardner, Fox, Metcher, Moloney & Snowden also appear to have been granted contracts, Hagan is nowhere to be found despite having another year on his
Update 11, 6/01/17: Volavola joins the Rebels for 2017

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Marika Koroibete would be eligible straight away. Been in Australia over 4 years so don't see any delays.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a lot of players off contract at the end of next year. Whoever is responsible for recruitment/retention is going to be a very busy person.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You're not wrong BR, but I'd expect once the first dominoes start to fall, the decision on the rest of the players will start to click into place, with the EPS probably not finalised till the NRC has at least started. My guess as to the big ones would be:

Thomson to retire or not
Ellison being granted ARU permission for a 4th Season
Koroibete choosing his code
Fox pushing for a full contract with U20 performances
Metcher vs Cocker for the 3rd tighthead spot (assuming Tom gets his deserved contract)

Once 2 or 3 of those fall into place, I think final decisions fall into place, and a good 8 or so of those uncontracted boys would have their futures decided one way or another.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think a player (specifically Naivalu) is considered a foreign development player in their 3rd year in the county, i.e the year they become eligible. I say that because the Tahs, Brums and Reds are only allowed one and in the past they have only had to wait 2 years to get another one, not three. Trying to think of an example but it's not coming to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Fuglistaller, Ellison, Cocker, Thomson, Matsushima, Harris, Jones, Asquith will all be gone at end of season.

Dom was on the verge of an extension prior to the ACL, still suspect he will stay for 1 more.

99% sure that Fox & Snowden are there next year.

I'm hopeful that Metcher, Crawford get new deals.

Murphy you would think unlikely due to today's announcement.

Hawkins is 50/50 but he is very popular within the group. he was slated to play a key role for the Rising until he needed surgery on his back.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What of Tom Moloney RebelYell? I've been impressed by him both for the Rising and his limited gametime, and the fact that he's moved down seemingly without a professional deal is all the more noteworthy.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What of Tom Moloney RebelYell? I've been impressed by him both for the Rising and his limited gametime, and the fact that he's moved down seemingly without a professional deal is all the more noteworthy.

Tom, Fereti & Metch are, in all probability, fighting for 1 or max 2 spots I suppose. Zane Hilton has a bit of a propping academy in place down there, looking to avoid the hit they took during the NRC last year when the likes of Mike Tyler & Duncan Chubb were playing hurt

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Going to move the Koroibete update here:

From Fairfax:

Melbourne Rebels could announce the defection of Melbourne Storm winger Marika Koroibete as early as next week.
Rebels coach Tony McGahan said he hadn't had any confirmation of Koroibete's signing and talks were ongoing.
But Fairfax Media understands a joint offer from the Rebels and the Australian Rugby Union was one the 23-year-old Fijian born winger cannot refuse as it's significantly higher than anything available in the NRL.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...rm-star-marika-koroibete-20160512-gotb1i.html

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
It was also mentioned on 360 last night that Koroibete has completed (and passed) all his medical checks and so forth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's pretty good. As a West Tigers fan I was dumbfounded when they let him go to the Storm.

Genuine pace, skill and physicality.

Not in the same class as Folau but I'd say a substantially better league player than Cooper Vuna or Joe Tomane (although 2 years older than Tomane when leaving NRL).

Definitely will be a shot at making the Wallabies in a short space of time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He's pretty good. As a West Tigers fan I was dumbfounded when they let him go to the Storm.

Genuine pace, skill and physicality.

Not in the same class as Folau but I'd say a substantially better league player than Cooper Vuna or Joe Tomane (although 2 years older than Tomane when leaving NRL).

Definitely will be a shot at making the Wallabies in a short space of time.

Thanks BH but good enough to warrant ARU funds? What has he achieved in League?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels had stayed on the Storm's good side, specifically stating they weren't gonna pursue any players.

I'd almost argue that the ARU contribution could be reasonably substantial as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.