• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Suggested he good be a nice moneyball signing on the 2016 thread.

Don't think he'd be in the 23 straight off, but he'd be a good competitor for Cummins, Jeffries and Rettalick, round off the lock signings too.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
More on Koroibete. Patyo might have let the cat out of the bag, as this tweet has been deleted. I get the impression the Koroibete deal is now done.

Capture.JPG

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems the ARU involvement was to try and organise a Japanese sabbatical for him. I'm not sure they're necessarily paying for him otherwise.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hang on a moment.

If Koirobete goes on a Japanese sabbatical, that'll reset his residency requirements a la Speight going back to play for Waikato in ~2011. Does that mean he'll get capped in the Rugby Championship?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is obviously all just conjecture and rumour at the moment but maybe the fact that he is qualified as a resident here already means he can leave for short periods of time?

Speight had to start his again because he left for an ITM Cup season before he had qualified.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Previously what I've read is that it's 3 continuous years of residency prior to international debut, with holidays being excluded, but not working/living overseas, with some sort of exemption for 5+ years when being U18.

Edit: No exemptions:

Regulation 8.1

Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-aside National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country in which:

(a) he was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

(c) he has completed thirty six consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And seeing Roy Masters lives in Melbourne with a LOT of spare time on his hands he'd know.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think you're allowed to be out of the country for 3 months. From memory I thought Speight was only disqualified because, after the ITM cup he went on holidays somewhere without returning to Australia. That's at least in my memory for some reason, could be very wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
my concern with the new signing from NRL is that Rebels are going down the marquee player strategy (again - paying big bucks for one player who they put their trust in to win the game) which possibly alienates other home grown players - Sefa, Sione, and others who have been in the team for some time but at much less pay rate. Do you think there might be some resentment? which might result in disharmony on field rather than support?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
No doubt, just wondering if the pay discrepancy would cause disharmony when its time to pass the ball, and not singling out those two as they are mates, but others maybe also?

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Fair point Lou75. Although Koroibete has a bit of x factor so once he starts showing a bit of that I am tipping there should be plenty of love for him.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Excellent signing for the rebs.. not sure how he will go with any kicking, but probably has a bit of a kicking game from his fiji days.

Status
Not open for further replies.