• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
20161130_193147(1).jpg
2017 Membership package just arrived.

Can confirm, card fits inside lanyard pocket.

I like the new scarf.

Car sticker is a bit busy.

Maybe I can learn to like the new cap? Doubt it though.

Member card and lanyard that works. Perfect.

Scarf - Woo hoo will never get used.

Car sticker - I am sure the stickers will look good with the rest of them on my laptop at home.

Cap - Not a fan, but it's not like I will wear it anyway. Got rid of two recently to my nephews who went to their first rising game.

At least the little man got a jersey from the Black Friday BLK sales for the season.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
View attachment 8763

Member card and lanyard that works. Perfect.

Scarf - Woo hoo will never get used.

Car sticker - I am sure the stickers will look good with the rest of them on my laptop at home.

Cap - Not a fan, but it's not like I will wear it anyway. Got rid of two recently to my nephews who went to their first rising game.

At least the little man got a jersey from the Black Friday BLK sales for the season.
The car sticker is the one bit of merch that I put to good use. I don't mind being a mobile ad for the team. Over the years it's inspired more than a few casual conversations, usually it goes along the lines of "You like rugby? I went to a Storm game once..."

BTW, your young bloke looks awesome in his new gear!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The car sticker is the one bit of merch that I put to good use. I don't mind being a mobile ad for the team. Over the years it's inspired more than a few casual conversations, usually it goes along the lines of "You like rugby? I went to a Storm game once."

BTW, your young bloke looks awesome in his new gear!

Yeah, my laptop is covered in Rebels stickers, apparently OzTimmay's as well. His wife was over and saw my laptop one day and was giving out that he did the same thing.

Amazing how many Melbourne people still don't know the difference, was interesting that Storm coach was giving out that they don't have a home game in March when they don't have to compete with AFL. We have 3 before any AFL or NRL is on to compete with. Hopefully the Rebels realize this and promote big time.

He may only be 7 months, but his got Rebels and Ireland gear. (Plus a ugly yellow thing OzTimmay gave him) His a member and attended his first game at 2 weeks old. I think he already knows his stuck with rugby whether he like it or not.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I note in a rugby.com.au interview that Jack Maddock's "Indefinite Illness" over the NRC was Glandular Fever. Explains why he never played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bugger of an illness that takes a long time to regain your energy levels & fitness. Hopefully he will be right for Season 2017, and another tilt at U20 World champs if the Rebels release him.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully he comes back fine, but it can be really bad. I'm a big tennis fan and a few top players have had it. It basically ended Roger Federer's main period of dominance in early 2008, but he was relatively lucky compared to Robin Soderling, who caught it in his prime in 2011 (he was 26 and ranked 5th in the world at the time) and ended up announcing his retirement last year having never competed again, despite every effort to recover.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Watched Bath vs Saracens. Max Lahiff played 3 for Bath. Looked about the most mobile and athletic prop in the Premiership which probably says more about the relative level considering the dross he served up down ere despite having huge potential

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watched Bath vs Saracens. Max Lahiff played 3 for Bath. Looked about the most mobile and athletic prop in the Premiership which probably says more about the relative level considering the dross he served up down ere despite having huge potential

Premiership rugby is actually in a good place, it's serving up the best rugby I've seen in its history.

Lahiff is still an athletic prop that looks like a body builder who isn't particularly talented.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/01/06/rebels-add-fijian-international-ben-volavola-to-squad/

The Melbourne Rebels have added international utility back Ben Volavola to its squad ahead of the 2017 Super Rugby season.
The Australian-born Fijian representative joined the Rebels on Friday after 15 Super Rugby games and 21 points with Australian rivals NSW Waratahs and leading New Zealand franchise Crusaders.
The 25-year-old playmaker kicked off his Super Rugby career with the Waratahs in 2013 before he crossed the Tasman to join the Crusaders in 2016 to help fill the void at number 10 with the departure of Dan Carter to Europe.
Volavola, a former Australian U20s representatives at the 2011 Junior World Championship, has made 14 international appearances and scored 56 points for Fiji since his Test debut against the Maori All Blacks in 2015.
Volavola started all four games at fly-half at the 2015 Rugby World Cup, which included his maiden international try against the Wallabies during the round-robin phase of the tournament.
“Ben brings a wealth of experience from two successful Super Rugby programs and will provide value to the Melbourne Rebels in his versatility across the backline,” Melbourne Rebels General Manager Rugby Operations Baden Stephenson said.
“He was hungry for another opportunity at this level so we feel that Ben’s talent and drive will be a good fit for the Rebels.”
Volavola said he was excited by the chance to join the Rebels.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue my career in Melbourne,” Volavola said.
“I’m excited by the chance to grow my game at a club that has a great record for nurturing and developing elite players under head coach Tony McGahan and I look forward to learning from Morgan Turinui.”
The Melbourne Rebels return to action in February with two trial matches against the Force (6 February) and Reds (14 February), along with the much anticipated Brisbane Global Rugby Tens (11-12 February. The Rebels will kick off the 2017 Super Rugby season against the Blues at AAMI Park on Thursday 23 February.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/01/06/rebels-add-fijian-international-ben-volavola-to-squad/

The Melbourne Rebels have added international utility back Ben Volavola to its squad ahead of the 2017 Super Rugby season.
The Australian-born Fijian representative joined the Rebels on Friday after 15 Super Rugby games and 21 points with Australian rivals NSW Waratahs and leading New Zealand franchise Crusaders.
The 25-year-old playmaker kicked off his Super Rugby career with the Waratahs in 2013 before he crossed the Tasman to join the Crusaders in 2016 to help fill the void at number 10 with the departure of Dan Carter to Europe.
Volavola, a former Australian U20s representatives at the 2011 Junior World Championship, has made 14 international appearances and scored 56 points for Fiji since his Test debut against the Maori All Blacks in 2015.
Volavola started all four games at fly-half at the 2015 Rugby World Cup, which included his maiden international try against the Wallabies during the round-robin phase of the tournament.
“Ben brings a wealth of experience from two successful Super Rugby programs and will provide value to the Melbourne Rebels in his versatility across the backline,” Melbourne Rebels General Manager Rugby Operations Baden Stephenson said.
“He was hungry for another opportunity at this level so we feel that Ben’s talent and drive will be a good fit for the Rebels.”
Volavola said he was excited by the chance to join the Rebels.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue my career in Melbourne,” Volavola said.
“I’m excited by the chance to grow my game at a club that has a great record for nurturing and developing elite players under head coach Tony McGahan and I look forward to learning from Morgan Turinui.”
The Melbourne Rebels return to action in February with two trial matches against the Force (6 February) and Reds (14 February), along with the much anticipated Brisbane Global Rugby Tens (11-12 February. The Rebels will kick off the 2017 Super Rugby season against the Blues at AAMI Park on Thursday 23 February.
Wow - I thought we had finalised the squad. Good addition.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Very Happy with that.

No pressure on JGB or McGregor to make starts now, or for Hodgey to move away from inside center.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
good buy imo.
was watching them train this morning, looked sharp and fit. new (to me anyhow) drills combining attack/defence (decision making and execution) with fitness, some errors but looked crisp. timani looked very good and with good hands, koroibete is very fast, the young "macs" both looked pretty poised, stirzaker doing a lot of talking, very few on the sidelines in team rehab as far as i could see, which is good. some of the younger ones are losing their puppy fat and beginning to show the definition that comes with age, fox in particular.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looking at it from t'other side of the fence, CruSadists have effectively traded a current international 10 (albeit second Tier) for a former international wing with, by various accounts, one or possibly two dicky knees. I'm not sure that's such a good trade.

EDIT: the FIW being Digby Ioane.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Very Happy with that.

No pressure on JGB or McGregor to make starts now, or for Hodgey to move away from inside center.

BUT...the Rebels now have two failed 10's and a couple of learners and no team has ever won a Super title without a really good 10. They'll only threaten if one of the two learners hugely steps up. Not likely.

That's a shame because there is a lot of potential in most of the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.