• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
you can understand why the Rebels would play hardball. can you imagine if they let Lance go and then he plays a dominant role in the Reds winning against them, or if the Reds let QC (Quade Cooper) go to Auckland or Brums or anywhere and he carved them up. The supporters would storm Ballymore and lynch everyone involved. Of course it may be one of Queensland's other sons we are not talking about

T

TOCC

Personally I’d be happy if QC (Quade Cooper) played a dominant role in any team, prefer it be the Reds or an Oz team, anywhere in the Super Rugby would be a positive really

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, a few on the Reds thread are painting the Rebels as being difficult about not letting him go.

Why would a team let their best #10 go? No doubt they made roster decisions off the back of signing this player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, a few on the Reds thread are painting the Rebels as being difficult about not letting him go.

Why would a team let their best #10 go? No doubt they made roster decisions off the back of signing this player.

why would a team let their best 10 go? Because he doesn't want to be there, for a start. There's a reason he wants a release clearly.

D

daz

Happy for him to go overseas if that works for the Rebels, but frankly, if he plans on being in Super Rugby this year before leaving, let’s keep him on the pine at the Rebels for the period of his contract, rather than risk him contribute to another team taking 4 points off us during the competition.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
why would a team let their best 10 go? Because he doesn't want to be there, for a start. There's a reason he wants a release clearly.

Yes, but contracts mean something and it the agreement must've been made only 4 months ago tops.

I don't like how contracts (from the perspective of both the player and the club) are becoming essentially meaningless pieces of paper.

D

daz

Well, he’s under contract and it needs to be in the best interests of both parties to gain an early release. What he wants is sadly not the first priority.

Potentially making the Reds stronger is not in the best interests of the Rebels I would have thought. Overseas is fine though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys

HE is Gone !!!!!!!!!!!!

Be that as it may (and time will tell) I think we're slowly setting a bad precedent here.

Clubs squeezing guys out of contacts and guys pulling the old 'well, I don't want to play for you so release me' thing is bad for our game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Might have been missed it being posted here, but Stirzaker is officially a Bristol player for next season (Standard 18/19 Rugby season not calendar year) Not sure what will be going on between the Sarries Loan and starting out there, but it's a move he needs I reckon, and Pat Lam is a good enough coach to get something out of him.

Hold no hard feelings towards him. He clearly wasn't the right player for the captain's jersey, but he never stopped trying, he just didn't have the personality/experience/injury free run to be able to pull off both rolls at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well, he’s under contract and it needs to be in the best interests of both parties to gain an early release. What he wants is sadly not the first priority.

Potentially making the Reds stronger is not in the best interests of the Rebels I would have thought. Overseas is fine though.

is that first statement somewhat contradictory? Contract needs to be in the best interests of BOTH parties v What HE wants is not the first priority? Does a team really want someone on their books who doesn't want to be there? I know Rebels fans were up in arms (as were Force fans, and others) about the treatment of players during the 5 to 4 process, particularly their mental wellness. Surely keeping a player for spite when he doesn't want to be there is hardly looking after his mental welfare.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
is that first statement somewhat contradictory? Contract needs to be in the best interests of BOTH parties v What HE wants is not the first priority? Does a team really want someone on their books who doesn't want to be there? I know Rebels fans were up in arms (as were Force fans, and others) about the treatment of players during the 5 to 4 process, particularly their mental wellness. Surely keeping a player for spite when he doesn't want to be there is hardly looking after his mental welfare.

I completely agree that players deserve agency, but they get that at the point of signing the contract. Why even sign anyone for more than 1 season if a multi-year contract just reflects you intention at that specific moment?

D

daz

How is it contradictory? In the interests of both means his wishes might not align with the Rebels management at all. So in this case, what might be an aligned interest is for Lance to play rugby (his wish) and our requirement he doesn’t add value to our competitors (Rebels wish). Therefore, play Dewar or go overseas. I’m ok with that.

So he wants to go to the Reds? Sorry Lance, but you signed a legal document only very recently to go to the Rebels.

As for mental health, FFS, the bloke has a contract and a regular pay check that is agreed and guaranteed. You really think that is the same as 90- odd blokes at the Force or Rebels not knowing if they would be employed in a few months time?

He signed a deal. His employers can do as they wish with him. If you think that s spiteful, I suggest his manager sit with RUPA to design some training about what a contract is.

T

TOCC

Give it a rest fellas, there’s more to it then a player just having a change of heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My stance on player movement is that I have absolutely no problem with them moving to other Aus teams. But if a player in under contract and considered the no1 in that position within the squad, he should not be moved, he has an opportunity to change that stance once his contract is up for renewal. However if a player isn’t considered no1 for his position in a squad and could offer something to another Australian super side then I’d fully back their decision to move. We want and need 4 teams that are the best version of themselves, I just hope the rebels are the top of that lot.

So if Lance is considered replaceable or not the no1 candidate for the position then I’d wish him the best at the reds. Personally I’d rather JD over lance as I think he has the chance to be something special. Who knows maybe this will open the door for someone else. Plus it re-establishes the (what I believe will be the starting XV) rebels 2017 count as higher than the Force 2017 count. Which will silence some desperate trolls a little bit more

T

TOCC

Out of interest, what is the Rebels starting XV looking like?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Give it a rest fellas, there’s more to it then a player just having a change of heart.

What is the "more"? To be honest, reading this thread, I am struggling to get it. Is it something mentioned elsewhere?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Yes it may well be that when he was tentatively signed/originally courted he, Wessels and the Rebels felt he was the likely 10 with McGregor as an understudy. With Adams and pre season and JD returning and a hand injury he now may well be well down the pecking order. In addition there could well be other personal issues influencing his choice of workplace in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.