• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cottrell, Ratu, Armstrong, Chubb, Latunipulu, Malolo, Tupai and Vailanu all in the side but no full Contracts?

Ainsley, Rangi, Daley, Coleman, Parling, Genia, Leota, RHP, Timani, Hodge, Meakes, Sefa, Koroibete and probably one or two others I've forgotten not in the side either?

Ayayay

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cottrell, Ratu, Armstrong, Chubb, Latunipulu, Malolo, Tupai and Vailanu all in the side but no full Contracts?

Ainsley, Rangi, Daley, Coleman, Parling, Genia, Leota, RHP, Timani, Hodge, Meakes, Sefa, Koroibete and probably one or two others I've forgotten not in the side either?

Ayayay
It is intentional that they are not playing in this trial. Expect to see them in the Tahs trial on 15/02. I don’t expect them in the 10a tournament either.

T

TOCC

If he didn't even play Qld Schoolboys it puts him a fair way off the radar of being a future pro.

True it does, but not that it should... one of the problems of the Australian rugby development pathways. If you don’t have a representative CV next to your name by the time your 17, you struggle to crack higher honours.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True it does, but not that it should. one of the problems of the Australian rugby development pathways. If you don’t have a representative CV next to your name by the time your 17, you struggle to crack higher honours.

It's the reality in most sports though. Whilst everyone complains about what rugby does in terms of young players, the reality is that sport is very professional these days and it is hard to catch up if you not training in that professional environment from fairly early in your adult life. The examples of star players who weren't very good players as juniors are few and far between in pretty much any sport.

T

TOCC

It's the reality in most sports though. Whilst everyone complains about what rugby does in terms of young players, the reality is that sport is very professional these days and it is hard to catch up if you not training in that professional environment from fairly early in your adult life. The examples of star players who weren't very good players as juniors are few and far between in pretty much any sport.

Being selected for Qld Schoolboys shouldn’t be the guage of whether you are going to make it though. Yes rugby is professional these days, and that’s why there be a series of nets to catch all the talent. Not just Schoolboys selection, that should just be one of the many nets to sift through the talent.

But that has certainly been the case, more so in the past few years where those in the 18-20 age bracket weren’t actually playing much rugby against their own peers so it was just assumed, that those who were the selected for Rep teams in school were still the best in U20s. In 2015-2016 those considered the top schoolboy players would be brought into the state U20s camp, and train alongside those players and play against other states.. with very few opportunities to go back and play club rugby against his own peers. That set a dangerous trend IMO, it meant said players were assumed to be better, and it also meant other colts never got their opportunity to press their case against players who were in the U20s squad.

Thankfully that has shifted in 2018 and the U20s will get more club time, once again bringing back the opportunity for those outside of the Schoolboys XV to earn recognition and higher honours. Hopefully introducing another net to identify talented players who were overlooked in schoolboys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that it is important that the rep players have to play against the regular club players on a regular basis. It helps confirm that they are indeed better or gives the other players an opportunity to show that they should be there instead.

I guess what would be interesting is to look at say the top 50% of 1st grade players in Sydney and Brisbane.

I'd bet that a high percentage of them have pretty solid pedigree in terms of junior rep teams/schoolboys selections etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
True it does, but not that it should. one of the problems of the Australian rugby development pathways. If you don’t have a representative CV next to your name by the time your 17, you struggle to crack higher honours.

particularly if you switch to a different code

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
It seems highly unlikely outside of maybe the Rebels inviting him to come down and train over a Summer or something.

If he didn't even play Qld Schoolboys it puts him a fair way off the radar of being a future pro.
Played Combined States alongside Esei Haangana... a fair start i would think

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the AFL I am a big Pies fan and all the videos I have seen the Rebels seem to be using their facilities. I love seeing my two favourite clubs under one roof.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well overall that was pretty disappointing. admittedly the Brumbies second stringers were a class above many of the lesser Rebels and ring ins in the second and third stanzas. i suspect when all the big guns are available it will be a much closer affair --- BUT, Wessels and Co. have an awful lot of work to do. especially the breakdown work. set piece was satisfactory, defence also, but the attack was really ordinary especially when the A team were on. i doubt we will see much more of the Maddocks experiment at 10, put one of Tayler or Debrezcini there to work with Genia and Ruru, and put him back at 15 where he can cause real damage running in open space. Uelese, Hardwick, Cottrell, Ruru, Tuipolotu, Debrazcini and Shipperley, were imo the best of an ordinary lot. everyone tried hard but the bar has been set considerably higher this year.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
At least we are keeping the losing tradition going. Was a tad messy, we have too many players. How can you get combinations going with so many to consider? Anyway, it’s only a trial game, there were some good bits too.

that was sort of my impression also, giving everyone a run meant some of the players who are 4th, 5th, 6th choices were up against second string Brumbies and it showed, especially at lineout and breakdown.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With the best part of a dozen players to still come in, and many of them being replaced by uncontracted players: I'm not sure how much/what we (as fans at least) can gleam from the game.

If we can gleam something, I think that I exactly what we had maybe thought good and bad. There's an aggressive attacking intent to most/all of the work we're doing on the field, less of the aimless stuff and on an individual level, our squads for this year are going to be significantly more talented than previously.

The negatives are of course that we're clearly not cohesive yet, particularly on defense, and that the woes at fly half may continue.

I didn't focus enough on individuals to say one way or another, particularly in the forwards, but Hutchison continues to impress me a lot: I wasn't sure if he'd make the transition to XVs well enough, but he's got great knowledge of how to use his smaller stature to great effect.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.