• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Koroibete and DHP are now back in form which is good for the Rebels, shame about Genia but the Rebels proved they could win with out him. Looking forward to the Rebels and Tahs clash.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry guys, my housemate just being a menace to the wallabies/rebels fraternity via my phone. That’ll teach me for leaving the page open on the couch. Revenge will be sort after haha

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry guys, my housemate just being a menace to the wallabies/rebels fraternity via my phone. That’ll teach me for leaving the page open on the couch. Revenge will be sort after haha
It seems Abraham Lincoln was right - you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
So just thought I would do a bit of an analysis with two rounds to go of our chances to make finals for the first time. Below is analysis of teams we are fighting with for finals spots.

3 Waratahs 39 points Sunwolves (H) & Brumbies (H)
5 Chiefs 41 Brumbies (H) & Hurricanes (H)
6 Highlanders 40 Crusaders (A) & Rebels (H)
7 Jaguares 38 Bulls (A) & Sharks (A)
8 Rebels 35 Reds (A) & Highlanders (A)
9 Sharks 32 Stormers (A) & Jaguares (H)
10 Brumbies 29 Chiefs (A) & Waratahs (A)

Unfortunately the Rebels blew a big chance last week. With the Tahs 4 points ahead of us and with two home games against teams out of the eight, they are almost guaranteed top spot in conference. It goes without saying in terms of finals equation a win v the Reds is a must for the Rebels.

Chiefs with two home games, you would expect them to defeat the Brumbies so they should be safe.

With Highlanders playing the Crusaders this week, depending on other results there is a good chance that the Highlanders v Rebels could be a case of winner makes finals and loser drops out. This would not be good for the Rebels.

Could be a similar scenario for Jaguares v Sharks. Although it is a fair chance that they both win this week and Sharks beat Jaguares and therefore we would have to win both matches to make it in this scenario (depending on bonus points). Jaguares being away from home hurts their chances.

Brumbies are a mathematical chance to make it but would have to win both matches away from home and then have other results go their way. So they are unlikely.

So unfortunately given we have Highlanders in last match we could drop to 9th. Obviously we need a win v Reds but may also have to support the Bulls and Stormers this weekend. Of course if we lose to Reds it is pretty much season over.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
Anybody know anything more about the little rebels clinic that is supposed to be on next Monday? I registered for my little tykes but still waiting some more detail (as promised when I registered). Getting pretty close to the date.

Any GAGRs been there in past years? What is the usual expectation re detail or should I just show up and hope for the best?

Pone's Mullet

Ron Walden (29)
So just thought I would do a bit of an analysis with two rounds to go of our chances to make finals for the first time. Below is analysis of teams we are fighting with for finals spots.

Unfortunately the Rebels blew a big chance last week. With the Tahs 4 points ahead of us and with two home games against teams out of the eight, they are almost guaranteed top spot in conference. It goes without saying in terms of finals equation a win v the Reds is a must for the Rebels.

Chiefs with two home games, you would expect them to defeat the Brumbies so they should be safe.

With Highlanders playing the Crusaders this week, depending on other results there is a good chance that the Highlanders v Rebels could be a case of winner makes finals and loser drops out. This would not be good for the Rebels.

Could be a similar scenario for Jaguares v Sharks. Although it is a fair chance that they both win this week and Sharks beat Jaguares and therefore we would have to win both matches to make it in this scenario (depending on bonus points). Jaguares being away from home hurts their chances.

Brumbies are a mathematical chance to make it but would have to win both matches away from home and then have other results go their way. So they are unlikely.

So unfortunately given we have Highlanders in last match we could drop to 9th. Obviously we need a win v Reds but may also have to support the Bulls and Stormers this weekend. Of course if we lose to Reds it is pretty much season over.

We're lucky our destiny is on our hands, simple just win 2 games :)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I haven't bothered to look at anyone else other than the Sharks or Jags.

If we win tonight and Sharks lose on the weekend we are guaranteed a spot.
Or
If we win with a bonus point and the Jags lose and don't pick up a bonus point (within 7) we qualify

However i think the most likely scenario is we win tonight and the Jags fail to pick up a point in the next 2 games (both on the road in SA), then they drop out of the 8 and we come 8th.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I haven't bothered to look at anyone else other than the Sharks or Jags.

If we win tonight and Sharks lose on the weekend we are guaranteed a spot.
Or
If we win with a bonus point and the Jags lose and don't pick up a bonus point (within 7) we qualify

However i think the most likely scenario is we win tonight and the Jags fail to pick up a point in the next 2 games (both on the road in SA), then they drop out of the 8 and we come 8th.

I suspect Jags will win both games in SA. The Rebels just have to keep winning - simples. Sharks and Brumbies most likely to lose both their remaining games imo.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Swingpass, form would suggest you are right. I will be surprised if the Jaguares were to lose two games in SA. More likely to win both, I would have thought.

Can't see the Sharks overtaking the Rebs, so they (the Rebs) are almost a shoo-in to finish at No 8.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
And I didn't see the Rebels going down to the Reds. The Sharks now have a better chance of leapfrogging them into the 8.

I didn't expect the Rebels losing to the Reds, but it is the Rebels we should expect the unexpected.

With regards to the Sharks I would have thought they were more likely to beat Stormers than the Lions.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
So alas this thread is almost dead or at the very least on life support.

So assuming Nathan Charles wont play next weekend because he is in Tupou-land. Who will our bench hooker be? Do we have any other hookers in the squad?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So alas this thread is almost dead or at the very least on life support.

So assuming Nathan Charles wont play next weekend because he is in Tupou-land. Who will our bench hooker be? Do we have any other hookers in the squad?
Tupou-land lols! What part of him did Charles hit? Could make it out on the big screen.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Tupou-land lols! What part of him did Charles hit? Could make it out on the big screen.

Sully not 100% sure, either a forearm or a knee / upper leg. Difficult to tell Cottrell was blocking one camera angle and the referee was blocking the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.