• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder what the rest of the coaching structure is going to look like? Wessels will probably want to pick his own assistants. Turinui is contracted till the end of next season, not sure about Hilton or McGrath.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Re: Miller, not the prefered outcome but not the end of the world, while I guess Jordy's situation would depend on where Hardwick ends up, how the management rated Sinclair's performances, and how far along Tupai has come.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Miller did have that one cracking game but Jordy is a far better player. I wouldn't mind if we picked up Sinclair though. Even if we end up with both RH-P and Hardwick, which now seems a pretty good chance, there may still be room for another back rower.

Potentially: LT, Colby, Mafi, Reid, Leota, RH-P, Hardwick & ?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
How do the Rebels build their brand in the Melbourne market? Success alone I don't think will be enough. The Rebels need to be bold and play with a shitload of flair. They MUST put on a good show to be sustainable in that market. They need to hit the ground running early in the year before the AFL and the NRL seasons kick off. It is in the best interests of rugby for this to happen and I wish them all the best.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Rebels want a lift in the salary cap. how is that going to be paid for?

Actually the ARU is screwed with this one, the same % of the TV deal goes to paying players wages with 4 teams as it did 5. The RUPA agreement still needs to be honored.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
KO, would that mean that each franchise is set to get a 25% increase in salary cap and handout from the ARU being the distribution of the amount that would have been allocated to the Force had five teams survived?

That will go some way to covering the extra top money players expected to move from Perth to Melbourne with the ARU promise to honour the Force players' contracts accounting for the rest, I am guessing. But will it put the Rebels into a hole in later years when the current contracts expire and the ARU deal finishes?

I have to wonder where all of these moves will finish up. I think there is a lot yet to be addressed in the financial side of things and that it won't be unravelled for a couple of years yet.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
KO, would that mean that each franchise is set to get a 25% increase in salary cap and handout from the ARU being the distribution of the amount that would have been allocated to the Force had five teams survived?

That will go some way to covering the extra top money players expected to move from Perth to Melbourne with the ARU promise to honour the Force players' contracts accounting for the rest, I am guessing. But will it put the Rebels into a hole in later years when the current contracts expire and the ARU deal finishes?

I have to wonder where all of these moves will finish up. I think there is a lot yet to be addressed in the financial side of things and that it won't be unravelled for a couple of years yet.

The increased Salary cap will remain, no way RUPA will agree to a decrease in the next contract renegotiation. So I am not 100% on the current cap so just example. 5 Million per team = 25 Million 25 Million/4 = 6.25 Million per team in 2018 and beyond.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm gonna say, 5. 5 more Force players, for 7 total.

The HP bros, Lance, Coleman and Hardwick.

T

TOCC

Actually the ARU is screwed with this one, the same % of the TV deal goes to paying players wages with 4 teams as it did 5. The RUPA agreement still needs to be honored.

Doesn't mean they are going to increase grants to the super rugby teams for their salary cap.
ARU revenue forecasts going forward have already proven to be vastly incorrect, the failing revenue could easily offset a significant portion of the savings made by culling a team. Alternatively the ARU may choose to direct the funding at retaining the Wallabies and spend those savings on ARU top ups.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well two of my concerns are now overturned. We have a decent coach and will have a full playing compliment.
Now we need astute Board, senior management, sponsors and members.
Well, with the coach and hopefully playing roster sorted, sponsors will be more forthcoming, one would hope.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fox Sports suggesting Wessells wants a further 10+ players from the Force.

Yeah, this was part of my worry.

I don't want to be the transplanted Force. I don't mind, and am excited to have 6-8 players inclusive of Daley and Faulkner to complement our other new recruits, youngsters and small handful of International & Super Rugby quality players.

Force in Melbourne with the Rebels Logo slapped on top is not what I wanted or signed up for.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Jeez mate at least you've got a team to support! Get on board while you're still alive. Mate 6 months down the track know one will remember what's gone. All your loyal players may be shafted elsewhere but at least you've got someone to support.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It’s basic maths - 5 into 4 won’t go. It is an unfortunate fact those that have been underperforming will go, but that should not be for underperforming players from the west. We have to end up with the best squad possible, regardless of where they are from. No passengers, please.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not saying keep lower quality players because they were here already.

I'm thinking more along the lines of, if our longstanding and fundamentally Super Rugby quality players like English & Colby start missing out on gametime to similar quality players.

Or if the boys who're currently strutting their stuff for the Rising start getting frozen out because of a Force player (say for example, JGB gets cut, but we recruit Grant on top of Lance, depriving McGregor of opportunities).

Otherwise yes, I do understand that it's about "consolidating the Strength of Australian Rugby" (feel like throwing up just saying it), and we'll almost certainly end up with more than my preferred 8ish total.

Status
Not open for further replies.